Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

54 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Also canceled tv advertising in Iowa. Wonder if he’s already planning to drop out.

Health is more important. Bernie has already made his impact.  The Dems are moving towards him. Lizzie Warren, the Democratic nominee; is close to Bernie in many positions. Bernie drops out, Lizzie will have a big lead in the polls and roll to the nomination.

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Warren isnt exactly young, but the energy is miles apart when compared to biden or sanders

Energy isn't an issue with Bernie, but actuarily a 70 year old woman is practically in a different generation than a 78 year old man.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Health is more important. Bernie has already made his impact.  The Dems are moving towards him. Lizzie Warren, the Democratic nominee; is close to Bernie in many positions. Bernie drops out, Lizzie will have a big lead in the polls and roll to the nomination.

My money has been on her for quite a while now, but the idea that anyone would "roll to the nomination" is basically a fantasy. Nominating campaigns are slogs, and the only one I can remember doing anything close to "rolling" through one was maybe Al Gore.

Get well Bernie. I can't really see him continuing after this. I suppose he could but at his age after that sort of health scare I have a hard time seeing it. I think most of his voters will move to Warren. She's already leading in many polls now it seems. Like @Rufus T FireflyI've had my money on her for a while now as well. She's been consistently trending up over time and she definitely has the momentum and energy in her corner. I wonder who she'll pick as her running mate.

Just now, mistertim said:

Get well Bernie. I can't really see him continuing after this. I suppose he could but at his age after that sort of health scare I have a hard time seeing it. I think most of his voters will move to Warren. She's already leading in many polls now it seems. Like @Rufus T FireflyI've had my money on her for a while now as well. She's been consistently trending up over time and she definitely has the momentum and energy in her corner. I wonder who she'll pick as her running mate.

Beto would be my pick for vp

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Mayor Pete. 😁

I wouldnt be opposed to that. He has some glaring holes in his game, but on the whole, I like alot about him.

I just think Beto can add a bit of articulate passion to case against whatever the repubs are doing. Not sure i've seen that fron Mayor Pete yet.

Liz has been playing it safe IMO and its working, she's steadily gaining while everyone else is treading water or losing. She's distanced herself enough from the Progressives where she just sounds like your typical Dem candidate.

I dont like this strategy past the primaries though. She needs a strong VP that will hammer a platform and she needs to show some leadership somewhere. 

Bernie and Biden are old and I suspect their campaigns are more about $$$ at this point then winning. (Even Biden) The younger candidates can use those funds for future campaigns. If Liz can get them on board after the primaries she'll have access to their cash.

Bernie dropping out (if it happens) could help Biden too since some of his support is from name recognition and Gabbard to a lesser extent as some of the more left wing  anti-Democratic Party anti-establishment supporters who have been trashing warren will probably go elsewhere and she seems the most likely choice.

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Bernie fans seem happy that Bernie is going to be healthier than ever and are excited for him to get back on the campaign trail judging by the responses I’ve seen online so far.  

Are those the same Bernie fanatics that started weeping when a bird landed on his podium? 

Ugh... 

10 minutes ago, visionary said:

Bernie fans seem happy that Bernie is going to be healthier than ever and are excited for him to get back on the campaign trail judging by the responses I’ve seen online so far.  

In fairness, hardcore Bernie fans are borderline psychotic as well. :ols:

34 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've said it multiple times, but I'll say it one more- Buttigieg adds nothing to the ticket. He would be a dumb choice.

And there has to be a person of color on the ticket. It would be potential suicide not to have one.

Maybe a surprise VP pick?

michelle_obama_first_official_portrait_a

53 minutes ago, visionary said:

I mean, if you're that invested in the guy, what are you going to tell yourself today? And his hardcore supporters waited the last 3 years for their shot to put their chosen one in the WH. Of course they're gonna cling to it however they have to, for now.

I always said, even when he was solidly in 2nd, that Bernie was something of a long shot to actually win. He just had too firm a ceiling. But in the last couple of months, it's become pretty clear he was in 3rd and fading. In other words, he was pretty close to done before this.

But now? Look, you could make a case that someone in Biden or Warren's position could survive this. Biden's ahead (generally), so he could shake this off, lose a couple of points and potentially recover them in a month or so when he's putting out video of himself running and/or doing tae bo. For Warren, this kind of thing might slow down momentum, but then you try to recover it when your own tae bo videos get out there (yes, tae bo is the key to this whole thing).

(Note- I'm not talking about Warren and Biden specifically, but what it would be like if Sanders were in the position one of those two are currently in.)

But Sanders, with where he is now, needs to basically  get about 1 in 7 Democratic voters to actively change where they're at now and switch to Bernie. Just to get himself in position to contend (he'd need a lot more voters later in the process). Try to do that while you were already fading and now you're the 78 year old who just had emergency heart surgery. Now you're trying to get people to jump on your bandwagon when most of them are thinking things like "Can he hold up thru the election next year?" What are the odds he can survive a 4 year term?" "How likely is senility to hit him soon?". Good luck with that.

If everything works out great health wise and Bernie wants to keep up the fight, he can get back and he'll probably hold a lot of the 15% or so who were on his side. But if there was any chance Bernie was going to be the nominee, that ended today. It's over. 

BTW, I didn't see anyone post the numbers form today's national Economist/YouGov poll:

Warren 28

Biden 22

Sanders 14

Buttigieg 7

Harris 5

Yang 3

O'Rourke 3

Bennet 2(!)

Gabbard 2

Booker 2

Klobuchar, Castro, Steyer 1
Everyone else- less than 1

What's kind of amazing recently is there is really only good news for one candidate across the spectrum of polls.

Biden- losing his lead, first three states slipping away.

Bernie- A fading 3rd place.

Buttigieg- Can't get close to double digits.

Harris- Now looking at 5th place.

O'Rourke- No momentum after supposed good performances the last month or so.

Yang- Looked to have a mini-surge a bit ago, now back to consistent 2s and 3s.

Booker, Castro, Klobuchar- becoming less relevant.

Steyer- Looks like he's capped at that 2-3% mark.

Everyone else- Just wasting their time.

I mean, apart from Warren, no campaign should be opening these polls and being happy with the results. 

Archived