Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

I am still a bit perplexed as to why people view Biden as a candidate any different from Hillary (generally speaking.  Seems like those who are rah rah for Biden are merely banking on Trump fatigue over people actually caring about policies. If the majority had an appetite for a middle of the road last-gen Democratic candidate.......ugh. 

I suppose the thinking is "Moderate Dem" would have beat Trump in 2016 if it was anyone besides Hillary due to the irrational hate for her that seemed pretty predisposed. 

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am still a bit perplexed as to why people view Biden as a candidate any different from Hillary

1) Male

2) Not married to Bill 

3) No Benghazi for the lunatics to attache themselves to. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

1) Male

2) Not married to Bill 

3) No Benghazi for the lunatics to attache themselves to. 

Yeah......

That is another worry of mine.  Is there really any kind of appetite for a Biden Presidency by........anyone?  Or is it more, about throwing a guy up there no one reaaaally wants there, but think will be just less scary to the broader voting base?

51 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am still a bit perplexed as to why people view Biden as a candidate any different from Hillary (generally speaking.  Seems like those who are rah rah for Biden are merely banking on Trump fatigue over people actually caring about policies. If the majority had an appetite for a middle of the road last-gen Democratic candidate.......ugh. 

I suppose the thinking is "Moderate Dem" would have beat Trump in 2016 if it was anyone besides Hillary due to the irrational hate for her that seemed pretty predisposed. 

That's exactly it. Hillary already had close to 50% of the population that didn't like her 18mo before the election. Biden's like/dislike #s are like 60/35. 

46 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah......

That is another worry of mine.  Is there really any kind of appetite for a Biden Presidency by........anyone?  Or is it more, about throwing a guy up there no one reaaaally wants there, but think will be just less scary to the broader voting base?

Its the second.

The Dem establishment wants a return to their neoliberal comfort zone.

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That's exactly it. Hillary already had close to 50% of the population that didn't like her 18mo before the election. Biden's like/dislike #s are like 60/35. 

What were Biden's all the other times he ran and lost?

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

You mean before he was VP for 8 years? Don't know, don't care. 

Being VP for 8 yrs is certainly more relevant than approval numbers, past or present.

People favor the known unless they want a change.

Once the debates begin two things are going to become apparent quick:

1) How much the base of the Democratic party has moved (either more left or back to the center)

2) What percentage of the base that isn't getting their candidate of choice is going to play ball and vote for the nominee in the general election.

I am not trying to be overly critical of Biden (yet) or poo-poo his early favorable polling, but I do question who exactly is being polled in regards to him and how long his "Obama's Grandpa" appeal will last once he starts being pressed on actual policy vs other candidates.

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

No. We tried that in the 1930s n 40s. It actually worked. The citizens liked it because they prospered. 

It was so horrible that we had to change the Constitution so that could never happen again. Damn FDR...

Archived