Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

I missed this from 2 days ago.  

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=3662

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are locked in a very tight race in Texas, with Trump receiving 44 percent of the vote and Biden receiving 43 percent in a general election matchup, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University poll released today. Democrats go for Biden 90 - 5 percent, independents do the same 45 - 36 percent, and Republicans go for Trump 87 - 6 percent.

Voters say 54 - 40 percent that Trump would do a better job handling the economy, but say 49 - 43 percent that Biden would do a better job handling health care. Voters are split on who would do a better job handling the response to the coronavirus, as 47 percent say Biden and 45 percent say Trump.

"Too tight to tell in Texas. As the country confronts chaos and COVID-19, perhaps one of the most important states of all is a toss-up," said Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy.

37 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I missed this from 2 days ago.  

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=3662

This is absolutely insane. I know these are early polls but that's still unprecedented. The last time Texas went blue was Carter in 76 and even that was sort of an outlier. I have a feeling that Texas could potentially be the new VA within the next election or two. Once they lose Texas the GOP, as it currently is, will basically be a completely nonexistent party when it comes to presidential elections.

In a Biden +10 environment, Texas will be a a competitive swing state. But you should expect that a +10 lead will likely shrink down in the coming months. But that's not a bad thing.

Trump having to spend resources and play defense in Texas, Iowa, Ohio and Georgia is good if you want him out of office.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't believe Texas will go Dem. Those clowns STILL voted for Ted Cruz after all.

Yeah, but barely. Cruz only beat Beto by about 2.5%. And Beto was super liberal compared to Cruz so it's not like he was running as a conservative Democrat. 

Another Texas poll released today (conducted on behalf of the Texas Democratic Party):

https://www.texasdemocrats.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/TexasResults.pdf

Q2 If the candidates for President this fall were
Democrat Joe Biden and Republican Donald
Trump, who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 48% 
Donald Trump 48% 
Not sure 4%

Q3 In the 2016 election for President, did you vote
for Republican Donald Trump, Democrat Hillary
Clinton, someone else, or did you not vote in
the election?
Donald Trump 50% 
Hillary Clinton 41% 
Someone else / Did not vote 9% 

I mean it would be incredible to have Texas swing blue, but I just feel like that's gonna be fool's gold.  Though that may be me looking at TX through the prism of my lifetime.  VA did swing from purple to blue in a pretty short time frame, so I suppose it's possible.

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I mean it would be incredible to have Texas swing blue, but I just feel like that's gonna be fool's gold.  Though that may be me looking at TX through the prism of my lifetime.  VA did swing from purple to blue in a pretty short time frame, so I suppose it's possible.

I'm certainly not counting at all on Biden winning Texas. But the simple fact that it is even this close in Texas, no matter the candidate, is wild. But you can see the upward trend. In 2016 Clinton, even though she was a very unpopular candidate in general, still lost by only 9% in Texas and while that may not sound great, the best any other Dem had done in the past 20 years was lose by 12 which was Obama.

Then in 2018 progressive Dem Senate candidate Beto only lost to super conservative Cruz by 2.5%

Now we see Trump and Biden basically tied there. The trend is pretty clear.

Not that he should name a runningmate now, but unless some serious red flags pop-up. Val Demings is the smart pick for Biden.  #1. Woman. #2. African American #3. Former Police Sheriff. her whole mission as VP could be reform of law enforcement. To build is up as a respected institution. Fight for better training and benefits for those who serve.

Plus, we all want to see Trump attack a Black Woman who was a cop for being weak on crime.

9 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Not that he should name a runningmate now, but unless some serious red flags pop-up. Val Demings is the smart pick for Biden.  #1. Woman. #2. African American #3. Former Police Sheriff. her whole mission as VP could be reform of law enforcement. To build is up as a respected institution. Fight for better training and benefits for those who serve.

Plus, we all want to see Trump attack a Black Woman who was a cop for being weak on crime.

I kinda feel like it’s Kamala Harris’ job to lose at this point.

Regarding Texas, and to @No Excuses point, Texas is only in play in a Biden +10 environment, so if you win Texas, it wouldn't matter because you won a huge landslide.

If Texas does go Dem, which it probably won't, the utility will just be that it is a huge rejection of Trumpism and the GOP would have to burn itself down and start over. 

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Give me the former Cop from Florida over the former Prosecutor from California. 

I feel like they'd both be really good picks. Harris has definitely been tested more nationally and has shown that she can absolutely eviscerate people she's debating or questioning, but Demings has the cred of being a police chief while Harris has some stains on her record as a prosecutor. Safe money is still on Harris, but Demings could certainly be an up and comer for the position. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel like they'd both be really good picks. Harris has definitely been tested more nationally and has shown that she can absolutely eviscerate people she's debating or questioning, but Demings has the cred of being a police chief while Harris has some stains on her record as a prosecutor. Safe money is still on Harris, but Demings could certainly be an up and comer for the position. 

The attack on Harris will be she went after poor and black folks, put them away. Demings Op-Ed was great. Again, no Red-Flag would put her in 1st for me. I think not being a national name would be a benefit. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/29/my-fellow-brothers-sisters-blue-what-earth-are-you-doing/

40 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I am not sure progressives would like that choice. Think there’s stuff during her tenure as Police Chief; that might make them say no way.

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

I am not sure progressives would like that choice. Think there’s stuff during her tenure as Police Chief; that might make them say no way.

but they'd like Harris? I think if they aren't ok with Demings, they won't be ok with Harris either. What stuff are you talking about during her tenure as Sheriff? 

13 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

but they'd like Harris? I think if they aren't ok with Demings, they won't be ok with Harris either. What stuff are you talking about during her tenure as Sheriff? 

They definitely don’t like Harris.  I will have hunt the article. They compared Klobuchar, Harris and Demmings after these protests started and the impact on their chances. Demmings had the least problems but they mentioned something during her tenure.

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I like Demings, was actually talking about her as a candidate before she started being really talked about nationally (before we knew who the nominee would be). But, at this point, she falls into a category with several of the talked about candidates for me- with a 78 year old nominee, a pandemic, economic crisis and social unrest, picking a VP who would raise significant questions like "is she really qualified for the job?" seems like a huge mistake. There are others who would be worse for this reason (Abrams, Bottoms), but Demings will have 4 years of experience in elected office. It's an issue.

And yes, she will be attacked for police brutality questions from her tenure in Orlando. Even if she wasn't terrible in that regard, it's going to be a problem.

And the supposed advantage she has is "she's from Florida". What I think people fail to think about with Representatives as opposed to Governors and Senators, is that they only represent a slice of the state, they are not really more known to the rest of the state than a lot of out of state pols would be. Demings is a known commodity in 1/27th of the state, and that portion is a reliably blue one that would go strongly for Biden regardless. It's possible she could help turnout in her district very slightly and also very slightly get people from the rest of the state to be interested in a home state person being on the ticket, the net effect would be extremely minor. 

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They definitely don’t like Harris.  I will have hunt the article. They compared Klobuchar, Harris and Demmings after these protests started and the impact on their chances. Demmings had the least problems but they mentioned something during her tenure.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/orlando-police-complaints-in-the-spotlight-as-african-american-ex-chief-runs-for-congress/443526/

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I thought Demmings was not very good in the impeachment hearings. Harris has more charisma. But watching the Mayor of Atlanta last night made me think she would be an excellent choice.

Archived