Rdskns2000

Presidential Election:11/3/20 - Joey B. vs Treasonous Traitor Don

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

 

I think functioning adults should be able to get an ID... it isn’t exactly a high bar to meet... voting by mail is fine by me.  Makes sense.

 

I think you're full of ****.  

 

I spent eight years as the sole caregiver of my mother.  (Alzheimer's and arthritis.)  I tried to get a Florida photo ID for her.  (I'd intentionally let her driver's license expire, because she had occasionally taken to announcing that she was completely independent, and she had a driver's license in her purse, and she could go get in the car right now and leave me.  But I wanted her to have ID, so she could do things like sign paperwork that needed to be notarized.)  

 

It took over a year, and over $300.  

 

Discovered lots of "gotchas" all over the place.  

 

For example, I'm pretty sure that the way the law is right now, to get a Florida ID with the gold star that says the Feds will accept it, you have to show your original Social Security card.  (And several other pieces of paper.)  To get the Social Security card, you have to show state issued ID with the star on it.  (When I got mom's, the rules were looser.  She was allowed to show her 1099 as proof of her SSN.)  

 

Now, a good chunk of the delay was because of difficulty getting her birth certificate from Oklahoma.  Her original birth certificate was hand written.  And the office that maintains them thought that her last name had a "ken" in the middle of it, when it was actually a "kin".  And when I would send in an application for a birth certificate, with the "kin" in her name, they would send me back a form letter saying that they couldn't find her birth certificate, and could I provide more information on her, like elementary school vaccination records or census documents?  (Her elementary school, which was also her high school, is a farm now.  Her high school graduating class was six people.)  

 

(I even found, in a dusty box, a 50 year old certified copy of her birth certificate.  It was made the year she went to college, so I assume that's why she got it.  It was actually a certified photocopy of her original handwritten birth certificate.  Pack in the days before xerox, when photocopys produced black copies with white writing on them.  But it had the raised seal of the state on it.  Not good enough to get a current birth certificate.)  

 

So, Mom's attempt to get photo ID had a problem that most people don't have.  

 

OTOH, Mom had a son who had her Power of Attorney.  Who had a fixed address where she'd been living for 25 years.  Who had Internet access, and a fax machine (that I bought so that I could send and receive faxes with government agencies.)  She had bank accounts and credit cards and social security income and IRAs.  She owned her home and a car.  

 

Imagine trying to jump through all those hoops, if she'd been alone, and homeless.  

 

How many homeless people you figure got an original Social Security card, and a certified copy of their birth certificate, in their pockets?  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Texas Supreme Court held a remote or in other words absentee vote due to the Coronavirus to rule that Texans can’t use the Coronavirus as a reason to vote absentee? 

 

Jesus ****ing Christ just inject the hypocrisy directly into our veins. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

I think you're full of ****.  

 

I spent eight years as the sole caregiver of my mother.  (Alzheimer's and arthritis.)  I tried to get a Florida photo ID for her.  (I'd intentionally let her driver's license expire, because she had occasionally taken to announcing that she was completely independent, and she had a driver's license in her purse, and she could go get in the car right now and leave me.  But I wanted her to have ID, so she could do things like sign paperwork that needed to be notarized.)  

 

people with Alzheimer’s should vote? I don’t want to sound callous about your mother, but if your mind has deteriorated to a point where it isn’t safe to have a drivers liscense, perhaps your mind has deteriorated to a point where you shouldn’t vote. 

 

Also, you let her license expire instead of getting it renewed. I’m not sure how that is the government’s fault...

 

Regarding the homeless people, like I said, for a functioning adult
having an ID isn’t a high bar. It seems like you are arguing that it is hard for non functioning adults to get an ID.... which I agree with, I guess?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard about this supposed EO for social media. and all I can say is....

 

 

thank god for joe Biden. In all honestly I don’t actually like the man or think he’s a great candidate, but he was the most likely to win that was willing to run and the mans had a life where I, personally, at that point woulda cashed out and said see ya! to this country full of people that are ungrateful, stupid, and many are both. 
 

running for and being president is taxing on a person. Especially in old age. He’s had so much emotional tragedy over his years. 
 

thank god he’s willing to run and end this **** show that is the trump administration. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

people with Alzheimer’s should vote? I don’t want to sound callous about your mother, but if your mind has deteriorated to a point where it isn’t safe to have a drivers liscense, perhaps your mind has deteriorated to a point where you shouldn’t vote. 

 

Also, you let her license expire instead of getting it renewed. I’m not sure how that is the government’s fault...

 

Regarding the homeless people, like I said, for a functioning adult
having an ID isn’t a high bar. It seems like you are arguing that it is hard for non functioning adults to get an ID.... which I agree with, I guess?

 

 

I knew this would be your response. I wish I could have put money on it.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bearrock said:

If Dems propose a compromise solution where we pass stringent voter ID law in exchange for nationwide vote by mail law (with those without IDs eligible to cast provisional ballot in person), do the Repubs say yay or nay?


I’m for voter id and I would be perfectly fine with that

 

dont really count as a Republican on much anymore, according to them. 
 

I also don’t need stringent voter Id laws to support voting by mail. Especially in a pandemic. That seems like a crappy stance to take. But for general mail in, honestly, I would think that accomplishes the point.  A vote tied to a person that’s eligible. That’s good enough for me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

people with Alzheimer’s should vote? I don’t want to sound callous about your mother, but if your mind has deteriorated to a point where it isn’t safe to have a drivers liscense, perhaps your mind has deteriorated to a point where you shouldn’t vote. 

 

Also, you let her license expire instead of getting it renewed. I’m not sure how that is the government’s fault...

 

Regarding the homeless people, like I said, for a functioning adult
having an ID isn’t a high bar. It seems like you are arguing that it is hard for non functioning adults to get an ID.... which I agree with, I guess?

 

 

And now we get to a more fundamental part that's hiding behind the "Voter ID" laws.  

 

"Well, I don't think them types should be allowed to vote.  Because they don't fit my definition of 'people'."  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

And now we get to a more fundamental part that's hiding behind the "Voter ID" laws.  

 

"Well, I don't think them types should be allowed to vote.  Because they don't fit my definition of 'people'."  


Sure... I think we can tell the difference between people who have no idea what is going on around them and some sort of voter suppression aimed at disenfranchising people...  but if that’s how you feel I’m not going to argue. It is voter suppression, but I guess I am fine with that. In any case it doesn’t change that fact that any functioning adult can get an ID.... Moving on...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

And now we get to a more fundamental part that's hiding behind the "Voter ID" laws.  

 

"Well, I don't think them types should be allowed to vote.  Because they don't fit my definition of 'people'."  


They’re people. 
 

they’re just people who can’t remember who they are, what they’re doing, why, etc. 

 

On the list of reasons people lose their right to vote, unable to function mentally on The most basic of levels seems like a reasonable item to leave. Lots of others I would review first. Like being convicted of a felony. 
 

it’s fine if you disagree. But stop making it about not viewing them as people. That’s pathetic. No one said they’re not people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tshile said:


They’re people. 
 

they’re just people who can’t remember who they are, what they’re doing, why, etc. 

 

On the list of reasons people lose their right to vote, unable to function mentally on The most basic of levels seems like a reasonable item to leave. Lots of others I would review first. Like being convicted of a felony. 
 

it’s fine if you disagree. But stop making it about not viewing them as people. That’s pathetic. No one said they’re not people. 


1). He included people with Alzheimer's and the homeless. 
 

2). And you're demonstrating that you know as much about Alzheimer's as he does. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Larry said:


1). He included people with Alzheimer's and the homeless. 
 

2). And you're demonstrating that you know as much about Alzheimer's as he does. 

 

I know quite a bit about mental diseases like alzheimer's and what it does to people and their families.

 

You reduced you're entire argument to attacking the posters - me with your above nonsense, and the other by taking their point and trying to cast it about being inhumane instead of actually discussing what the point was.

 

you're too close to this one and being unreasonable. i understand, taking care of those people is hard in a lot of ways. i've experienced it, even though you think you know all about me. but you're irrational to the point of taking the track of trying to cast people who disagree with you as monsters simply because you can't actually discuss it.

 

so, enjoy. but know what you are on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Breaking precedent, White House won’t release formal economic projections this summer that would forecast extent of downturn.

 

Well, we are talking about a political party who thinks they can fight global warming by ordering NASA to delete historical temperature data from their web sites.  

 

Or fight an infectious disease by concealing how many dead bodies they've got in the morgue.  

 

Victory through suppression of data.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

And now we get to a more fundamental part that's hiding behind the "Voter ID" laws.  

 

"Well, I don't think them types should be allowed to vote.  Because they don't fit my definition of 'people'."  

I'm for voter ID law.  But tied to it should be requirements to make it easy and cost effective to get an ID.  1 free ID every X amount of time, minimum number of ID places per so many people in an area, etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tshile said:

You reduced you're entire argument to attacking the posters - me with your above nonsense, and the other by taking their point and trying to cast it about being inhumane instead of actually discussing what the point was.

 

You saying that your (and her's) point was not to assert that those people shouldn't be allowed to vote?  

 

Gee, I apologize for misreading your posts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tshile said:


I’m for voter id and I would be perfectly fine with that

 

dont really count as a Republican on much anymore, according to them. 
 

I also don’t need stringent voter Id laws to support voting by mail. Especially in a pandemic. That seems like a crappy stance to take. But for general mail in, honestly, I would think that accomplishes the point.  A vote tied to a person that’s eligible. That’s good enough for me. 

 

Making it easier to get photo ids as part of requiring one for voting doesn't sound radical go me at all, think we even had a thread on that, when presented that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father's Alzheimer's was caught very early, and he functioned extremely well for 10 years, no kidding. Kept working and preaching. 

Just because one has it doesn't mean they're "non-functional". 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Making it easier to get photo ids as part of requiring one for voting doesn't sound radical go me at all, think we even had a thread on that, when presented that way.

 

One problem with that is that, even if we made it so that it was completely free, and only took three hours, it's still voter suppression.  

 

This is America.  People don't vote because they hear that it might rain.  They don't vote because they have to fill out a registration a month before the election.  They don't vote because they've heard that their candidate will/won't win.  Because they heard there's a 15 minute waiting line.  

 

Pass a law that states that, to vote, the voter must wear a white shirt, and 1-2% of the population will skip voting.  "Too much trouble."  Even people who have a white shirt in the closet.  

 

And that's why it (voter ID) is being pushed.  To suppress the vote.  Because it will suppress one side more than the other.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Making it easier to get photo ids as part of requiring one for voting doesn't sound radical go me at all, think we even had a thread on that, when presented that way.

Agreed. 
 

indont know about the “anywhere anytime” comment someone made. Seems silly. The current process is fine. But you should be allowed 1 ID (not a drivers license, just state issued ID) every 2 years (or when you move or it expires) for free. 
 

you can’t just give them away every month but it should be perfectly reasonable for an adult to have and ID if it’s required to vote and being poor shouldn’t be an obstacle. I’ve got plenty of wiggle room there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just love the idea that homeless people, who could be homeless for any number of reasons, are somehow “non functioning adults” and thus should lose one of their fundamental rights. 
 

but coming from the person that questioned for months why we were letting the economy suffer rather than just let people die, it’s not surprising 

 

 

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My father's Alzheimer's was caught very early, and he functioned extremely well for 10 years, no kidding. Kept working and preaching. 

Just because one has it doesn't mean they're "non-functional". 


correct

 

Dont believe anyone said otherwise. 

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

You saying that your (and her's) point was not to assert that those people shouldn't be allowed to vote?  

 

Gee, I apologize for misreading your posts.  


you intentionally misinterpreted what was being said. It’s bull**** and you’re not clever enough to pull it off, you’ve fooled no one. 
 

continue on making strawmen and defeating them. You’re impressing everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My father's Alzheimer's was caught very early, and he functioned extremely well for 10 years, no kidding. Kept working and preaching. 

Just because one has it doesn't mean they're "non-functional". 


yes, but I was referring to the fact that the Alzheimer’s progressed to a point where the person couldn’t be trusted with a drivers liscence to make it back home safe.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

One problem with that is that, even if we made it so that it was completely free, and only took three hours, it's still voter suppression.  

 

This is America.  People don't vote because they hear that it might rain.  They don't vote because they have to fill out a registration a month before the election.  They don't vote because they've heard that their candidate will/won't win.  Because they heard there's a 15 minute waiting line.  

 

Pass a law that states that, to vote, the voter must wear a white shirt, and 1-2% of the population will skip voting.  "Too much trouble."  Even people who have a white shirt in the closet.  

 

And that's why it (voter ID) is being pushed.  To suppress the vote.  Because it will suppress one side more than the other.  

 

I disagree requiring a voter id is voter suppression as a blanket statement.

 

I'll admit sometimes a feel insulted when I hear someone say black people getting a photo id is too hard for us. 

 

Make it easier so we can have this conversation, some are making that hard as possible to stop us from functioning in society period then calling us lazy.

 

What you describing is having the poll tax essentially at the dmv now, which is wrong and needs to be addressed. But its 2020, this seems harder then it needs to be only because some folks want it to be so we can't vote. 

 

Getting a photo id so we can vote shouldn't be this difficult, you shouldn't of had to go through that with your mom, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have photo id requirements to vote, too different issues tied at the hip.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member