Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Is the economy really "great?" I agree that it is a "good enough for an incumbent to win re-election" economy, but what categorizes this economy as great?  Is it markedly stronger than Obama's was in 2012 (yes, I knew we were coming out of a bad recession a couple years earlier)? I ask this question as a conservative who historically has voted GOP. 

Far as I'm aware, the two big yardsticks are the unemployment rate, and GDP growth.  

Unemployment rate keeps flirting with historic lows.  

My go-to site only lists two years of actual GDP (as opposed to projections) for Trump, but those two years show an annual growth of 4.5%, which is fantastic.  

Now, I do think there should be a kind of an asterisk on those numbers, because they're being propped up by trillion dollar deficit spending.  And by bullying the Fed into maintaining artificially low interest rates.  Either of which are vastly beyond what our country has ever done when  we're not fighting a major depression.  (Let alone both).  But yeah, at least according to those yardsticks, which are the traditional yardsticks, this is a REALLY good economy.  

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Our economy is ready for a recession or depression.

That's true, too.  And thanks to the GOP, the two main bullets in our gun that we use to fight a recession have already been fired, to inflate the current bubble.  

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Still need to figure out what’s gonna **** us.

Student loan debt?

Credit card debt?

Harmful trade practices?

auto loans and pensions.

businesses carrying loads of low cost loans are also problematic if the worm turns.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

When the economy tanks after Trump has been re-elected, I wonder if they’ll just print more money to keep up.  You know, just like what happened in Germany.

maybe some of those Trillion dollar coins they floated earlier....bills are so last decade.

25 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Is the economy really "great?" I agree that it is a "good enough for an incumbent to win re-election" economy, but what categorizes this economy as great?  Is it markedly stronger than Obama's was in 2012 (yes, I knew we were coming out of a bad recession a couple years earlier)? I ask this question as a conservative who historically has voted GOP. 

The most simple and commonly accepted benchmark is GDP growth with 3-3.5% historically being considered “good.”  For example, Bill Clinton’s 2 terms were very good economically, with average GDO growth of 3.8%. It’s been about 2.5% for most of Trump’s tenure. Or, according to Trump, the best is history by far. 

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

My go-to site only lists two years of actual GDP (as opposed to projections) for Trump, but those two years show an annual growth of 4.5%, which is fantastic.  

Thats weird. According to the Federal Reserve, it’s never gone above 3.5% for any quarter since Trump took office. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A191RL1Q225SBEA

And according to noted liberal rag Marke****ch:

Over the 11 quarters since he was elected, U.S. real GDP has averaged 2.6% per year, not the 4%, 5% or even 6% that Trump vowed. By way of comparison, GDP averaged 2.4% over the final 16 quarters of Barack Obama’s presidency. All of the extra growth (and more) since 2017 was provided by a fiscal boost from tax cuts and spending increases as Republican lawmakers turned from austerity budgets under Obama to stimulus under Trump.

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thats weird. According to the Federal Reserve, it’s never gone above 3.5% for any quarter since Trump took office. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A191RL1Q225SBEA

And according to noted liberal rag Marke****ch:

Gonna say you're right.  I go back to my site, and this time I'm seeing inflation-adjusted numbers, and I'm seeing much lower numbers.  Assume I misread.  

(Also, admiring once again the words that ES won't allow us to see.)  

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I don't want this negativity from Democrats.

Depending on how those early states go; it's about to negative.

There will be a pause since Sanders,Warren and Klobuchar will be busy in the Impeachment Trial but that should be over in 2-3 weeks.  Whoever survives Iowa and New Hampshire will have to get negative.  They have to take out whoever is leading.   Bernie not only has to finish off Lizzie, he needs to finish off Joe.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As the 2020 race heats up, the Supreme Court agreed on Friday to hear a dispute involving the complex U.S. presidential election system focusing on whether Electoral College electors are free to break their pledges to back the candidate who wins their state's popular vote, an act that could upend an election.

The Supreme Court will take up appeals in two cases - from Washington state and Colorado - involving electors who decided to vote in the Electoral College process for someone other than Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016 even though she won the popular vote in their states.

The justices will determine if such so-called faithless electors have the discretion to cast Electoral College votes as they see fit or whether states can impose restrictions including with penalties. The case is expected to be argued in April and decided by the end of June.

President Donald Trump is seeking re-election on Nov. 3, with a field of Democrats seeking their party's nomination to challenge him. His administration did not take a side in either case.

"We are glad the Supreme Court has recognized the paramount importance of clearly determining the rules of the road for presidential electors for the upcoming election and all future elections," said Lawrence Lessig, a lawyer for the faithless electors sanctioned in Washington and Colorado.

Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold, a Democrat, said she hopes the justices will let states enforce their laws.

"Unelected and unaccountable presidential electors should not be allowed to decide the presidential election without regard to voters' choices and state law," Griswold said.

The dispute involves the U.S. presidential election system set out in the U.S. Constitution in which the winner is determined not by amassing a majority of the national popular vote but by securing a majority of the electoral votes that are allotted to the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

Individuals who serve as Electoral College electors - typically party loyalists - cast these votes. All states, with the exception of Maine and Nebraska, have a winner-takes-all system awarding all electors to the presidential candidate who wins the state's popular vote.

https://news.yahoo.com/u-supreme-court-takes-presidential-205006562.html

On 1/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, Destino said:

Blessing?  I think she sat in a room and approved every inch of this.  This is politics, and the players at the highest level with decades of experiences aren't running campaigns hoping for happy accidents.  This isn’t even dirty by political standards, it’s just blatant.  Whatever truce these two had has ended, trying to feign innocence to keep it alive now, just makes her campaign look duplicitous.  

Just own it, and have it done.  The truce was never going to last forever.

Looking more like Warren didn't strategically leak this. My initial read looking accurate. Didn't make sense for this to be put out by Warren. But no one is going to pay attention to this since the initial story has taken hold 

Archived