Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I disagree requiring a voter id is voter suppression as a blanket statement.

The fact that it's being pushed by every single Republican legislator, in every single legislative body, and justified by claims that are obviously untrue, isn't a clue to motive?  

I mean, if you want to assert that somewhere, there exists a person who's motive isn't altering elections?  Yeah, I'm certain that people exist for whom that's true.  

But there's nowhere near enough of them, to actually pass said legislation.  The reason the legislation's being passed, is because of which Party it helps.  

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll admit sometimes a feel insulted when I hear someone say black people getting a photo id is too hard for us. 

I'll be offended with you, if you could show me one of those people.  :) 

However, speaking as probably the person who's most on this rant, right now in this thread, even I, the most extreme person on this issue right now, isn't claiming that getting ID is impossible.  

I'm claiming that it's tough enough that a small percentage of the population will decide not to put out the effort.  

And I'm claiming that that's the reason it's being pushed.  Not because of the one person who is somehow incapable of getting one.  But because of the thousands who simply won't bother.  

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Pass a law that states that, to vote, the voter must wear a white shirt, and 1-2% of the population will skip voting.  "Too much trouble."  Even people who have a white shirt in the closet.  

Honestly,  my reaction to them is "**** those people".  

This has been enough of a derail I think.  I recommend moving any more conversation on the topic to the voter ID thread.

Well, clearly my late night, half drunk musing opened a can of unintended worms.  Interesting topic and I think everyone has been coming in with lot of valid and diverse viewpoints.  But it appears to me that the topic is much broader and not directly connected to the 2020 POTUS election.  My bad for posting it here and if anyone wants to continue the discussion, perhaps we need to dig up an old thread or start a new one.  But thanks to everyone for chiming in (which is often a reminder for me that issues are lot more complex than it is in my head)

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm claiming that it's tough enough that a small percentage of the population will decide not to put out the effort.  

Not because of the one person who is somehow incapable of getting one.  But because of the thousands who simply won't bother.  

So many of the people without an ID are just lazy. I agree with you. On the same page. 🙃

I’m fine with making it easier to get an ID, but let’s not pretend it’s some sort of impossible task to accomplish.

i would argue that if Democrats like Biden really want to help people they claim to want to help, encouraging them to get an ID (rather than just allowing them to vote without one) will do more to help those people than just collecting a vote from them. Having an ID is at the foundation of going anywhere in life.

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

The fact that it's being pushed by every single Republican legislator, in every single legislative body, and justified by claims that are obviously untrue, isn't a clue to motive?  

I mean, if you want to assert that somewhere, there exists a person who's motive isn't altering elections?  Yeah, I'm certain that people exist for whom that's true.  

But there's nowhere near enough of them, to actually pass said legislation.  The reason the legislation's being passed, is because of which Party it helps.  

Did you read my entire post before deciding how to respond?

I'll be offended with you, if you could show me one of those people.  :) 

You are not as smart as you think you are. Being offended isn't a status update.

However, speaking as probably the person who's most on this rant, right now in this thread, even I, the most extreme person on this issue right now, isn't claiming that getting ID is impossible.  

And I'm claiming that that's the reason it's being pushed.  Not because of the one person who is somehow incapable of getting one.  But because of the thousands who simply won't bother.  

And I'm saying you aren't presenting anything new here, nor a solution to the problem. So yea, maybe you should end your rant and let the thread get back on topic. If your solution is don't require ids for voting, I disagree with that solution.

49 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Well, clearly my late night, half drunk musing opened a can of unintended worms.

Been there, done that. :)

Getting this back on track......

The Voters Who Don’t Like Trump Or Biden

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-trump-losing-among-voters-who-dont-like-him-or-biden/

Four years ago, when President Trump was the Republican nominee, he won over voters who didn’t like him or his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, which gave him a boost in a general election that featured the two most disliked major-party nominees in history.

According to exit polls, 18 percent of voters had an unfavorable view of both Trump and Clinton, but when they cast their ballots, they broke 47 percent to 30 percent in favor of Trump. The president’s advantage among these voters was pivotal, too. Trump carried these voters by between 21 and 37 percentage points in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, the three states that put him over the top in the Electoral College.

But now, in 2020, Trump may have lost his edge among the “haters” — that is, the voters who hold an unfavorable view of both presidential candidates. Two recent national surveys found that former Vice President Joe Biden has a big lead over Trump among those who have unfavorable views of them both. An April survey from NBC News/Wall Street Journal put Biden ahead of Trump 60 percent to 10 percent, and an early May survey from Morning Consult gave Biden a lead of 46 percent to 14 percent.

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

Been working for hundreds of years.  The reason why we suddenly have to change it is?  

Since when is the position "We absolutely must take an action which we know in advance will cause thousands of people not to vote, unless someone can come up with a reason that I think is good enough" the default position?  Shouldn't it be the people who want to impose that cost (on other people) be the ones who have to justify their position?  

Which problem is it that you think I need to propose a solution to?  

My "solution" is "It ain't broke.  Don't claim that it is so that you can ram through a phony 'fix' that simply has the 'unintended side effect' of helping your political party."  

And I know I already made a thread on this with a poll where majority agreed with me that making it easier to get an photo id then asking for it to vote is reasonable.  I've said that twice, think what you want to think.

You aren't helping because it IS broken already.  You proved how hard it is to get an id for your mom, you are wasting time not connecting the dots that you got caught up in the same **** as black folks and voter suppression you saying I don't get.

I'm trying to get my old thread found or unarchived in tech support forum, it needs it's own thread if this is how it's going to go.

California doesn't require an ID to vote. 14.1 million peopled voted there in 2016 and no known statistical occurrence of voter fraud happened. You guys telling me that podunk NC or VA with 1/3 to 1/5 of the amount of voters cant handle no IDs? Please

Also this new thread title confused me. Aren't they both referring to the ManKaren?

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Also this new thread title confused me. Aren't they both referring to the ManKaren?

Failed humor attempt. Was trying to say Joe was the group ABBA, hence Jabba. People probably thought I was talking about Jabba the hut and we know Trump is as big as Jabba.

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Donald Trump retweeted a video of a man saying the only good democrat is a dead democrat. The man that said it went on to qualify that as mean dead “politically”. 

The head of Cowboys for Trump or some such.  Fool lives not too far from me.

To be fair, most of the local GOPers disowned the comment.

Archived