Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Sorry, I don't pay attention to all the memes about Biden. I firmly believe Joe is in mental decline, hence my names.  They may parrot Whatever Trumpy or Putty says but I don't to pay attention to online memes. 

I don't think Joe has the ability to fight Trump as needed.  He may become President; but it will be outside factors and Trump that gets him elected.

My name's aren't meant promote whatever is out there; just what I feel about the candidate.

I will go back and edit the title. Though every name given to Donald, is accurate.  Some of the names given to Joe is accurate, in my opinion. I will give him an accurate and non-parroting name.

I personally hope Joe doesn't get 1991 and the Dems pick someone else. The more the people see Joe, the less they want to vote for him. He is only the nominee because of Trump. The Dems rejected all the better options and were scared Bernie get the nod and bring defeat to many Dems. Joe will only get the nomination by luck.

39 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Joe has looked and sounded pretty good the last few times I’ve seen him.

i have little complaint with most of the slams on joe that aren't over the top...i had most of them too

given how much i value thinking quick and with precision, joe often disappoints in most settings where he's communicating with the public and often is anything but 'quick on his feet'...and he ahs become "worse" with age

still, the decrepit thing is unmerited and the gaffe/slowness gets exaggerated in terms of importance, because those failings aren't joined by other evidence that his actual mental capacity is really an issue

joe offers zero excitement or fun to most of us, and in of himself, little fire to motivate as we're accustomed to want

but for a lifelong politician (and as the one who survived the competition gauntlet) for these times:

at minimum

he is relatively decent

he is relatively honest

he is relatively progressive overall, but not extreme

he is relatively competent (and very experienced) in governmental operation

he is stable and experienced on the world stage and in foreign affairs overall

he is generally well-regarded by a majority of the population at large i believe, minus many bernie bros and the trumptistas, which ain't bad

so right now i'd say he looks like a gold mine

when it all started, pamela, cory, amy, steve, and pete, were all folks that excited/interested me the most and i thought at least a couple of them had the ability to win

i accept joe as the last man standing and while i still "like" soem of those other candidates more overall, i'm grateful joe is there and appearing so viable

unless you like what you're getting, my two cents is to just throw in with the joe folks and work for the future

38 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Joe has looked and sounded pretty good the last few times I’ve seen him.

And I think Trump has looked pretty bad, particularly when he has to stand to the side and listen. I think the stress is of being president has finally hit him.

9 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Who is Pamela? Pamela Anderson ran? 🙂

perfect that i did that in a psot about biden gaffes

i'm impressed spell check even got that close to what my skill-free misshapen paws pounded out

tho i'd take pam anderson in the wh over melania in every way shape and form

The funny thing about the "Biden is in mental decline" thing is that it has mostly been pushed by desperate Bernie people.  Bernie literally had a major coronary event six months ago, and is so mentally unagile that he announced a major speech focusing on black people, and gave the same stump speech he's been giving for six years.  His brain is so one-note that he gets cranky AF every time someone asks him a question can't be answered with "corporate greed" or "medicare for all."  

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The funny thing about the "Biden is in mental decline" thing is that it has mostly been pushed by desperate Bernie people.  Bernie literally had a major coronary event six months ago,

And the Birther thing was pushed because John McCain wasn't born in the US. 

And the swiftboaters because W hid from the draft. 

Biden may not be anybody's first choice, but he is a solid placeholder President. It will be an encouraging indicator of the resilience of American democracy if we avoid the pitfall that all the 3rd world elections suffer with the pendulum swinging from a nutty right wing populist all the way over to a left wing populist.

re: Biden's mental decline.

This op-ed article provides an interesting perspective on Biden's 'decline' as told by a fellow stutterer. 

"I've heard him use overly complicated or quirky phrasing and immediately recognized the method of a master stutterer: the almost savant-like ability to rephrase a thought or paragraph, on-the-fly, to avoid a problematic word or syllable.

I've listened to his critics and heard echoes of my past. He's senile, they insist. He forgot Obama's name. He's mentally defective. Dementia. But I know better.

At a campaign stop on March 5, Biden "forgot" Obama's name, identifying him simply as "the last guy." At other events he’s said, "President my boss." Some see this as evidence of a man losing his mental faculties. I see the familiar trick of calling a last-second audible for an easier syllable or phrase, the in-the-moment wordplay stutterers use to navigate their speech."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/op-ed-others-see-joe-100045858.html

Word matter, as long as he can use the right one's when they matter most, the conversation will take care of itself. Not every mistake he makes is a mental gaffe or habit of him covering for his studdering.

Please, let's not "but her emails" this dude.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Word matter, as long as he can use the right one's when they matter most, the conversation will take care of itself. Not every mistake he makes is a mental gaffe or habit of him covering for his studdering.

Please, let's not "but her emails" this dude.

If that's directed at me, I most certainly don't pass off every gaffe of his as being related to his stuttering. For me, the article shed a new light on what is going on in his head while he's talking. Something I had never considered or could even relate to. 

It wasn't my intention to turn this into a "but her emails" moment. 

46 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

If that's directed at me, I most certainly don't pass off every gaffe of his as being related to his stuttering. For me, the article shed a new light on what is going on in his head while he's talking. Something I had never considered or could even relate to. 

It wasn't my intention to turn this into a "but her emails" moment. 

If it was directed at someone specifically, I would've quoted them.

Until I see Joe Biden cross the 270 threshold on election night; I will not believe he will win, even with all this mess.  I will need to see it with my eyes.

Joe Biden wins state X and thus has now been elected the 46th President.  If I see that, then I will believe.  They are just so many ways that Trump

could win; even with this mess.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Until I see Joe Biden cross the 270 threshold on election night; I will not believe he will win, even with all this mess.  I will need to see it with my eyes.

Joe Biden wins state X and thus has now been elected the 46th President.  If I see that, then I will believe.  They are just so many ways that Trump

could win; even with this mess.

At this rate I think Trump will be over-performing if he isn't institutionalized by election night.

I wanted to crunch some numbers re: Coronavirus and potential election impact but that seemed too electiony for the Coronavirus thread.

But to drive home the point about how bad an idea it is for Trump to end social distancing early, I crunched some numbers for PA, MI, WIS, the 3 states where he won enough electoral votes to win overall, and did so by only 77K vote COMBINED.

My numbers might be optimistic, but assuming 2.5% death rate (this is higher than at present but assumes some hospital overflow that gets people killed, and is below a lot of other countries' death rates, so if anything 2.5% is optimistic) and community spread reaching 40% of the population.  Also assuming deaths are 2:1 65 and older, which I then assume hits Trump supporters at 2:1 rate, given they trend older too.

28.61M people in those 3 states

40% of that is 11.44M for infections.

2.5% death rate of that is 286,000.

66% of that is about 188K and 33% is about 97K

That's 91K more likely Trump voter deaths than Biden voter deaths.

Now, obviously, not everyone votes.  So the voter loss won't be that bad.  But it will, even with these likely conservative estimates, take away whatever advantage Trump had in these states.  And older voters vote more often, so presumably among the voter pool, more elderly will be removed than younger people.

Someone in the admin must see this, right?  Like his actions, aside from horrifically sacrificing likely millions, is going to really hurt his election chances given the demographics of the electorate.

And does he think the elderly will forget being hung out to dry?  Sure, his base will stick with him, but what about independent elderly?  It seems like a bad idea to basically say "hey, we're gonna let a virus ravage you guys, and even if you live you probably know lots of people who died as a direct result of my policies, but still vote for me anyway!"

Even if you're just a craven electioneer for Trump, crunching numbers dispassionately, you have to realize this is a loser for Trump.

I guess the logical conclusion from there is, if Trump loses either way (economy crashes while people live and he loses OR economy recovers but he loses voters he needs OR he loses both the economy and voters he need) the only move is not to play, which means postponing the election.  And given how Trump act, it scares me that that's a legitimate possibility.

55 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I guess the logical conclusion from there is, if Trump loses either way (economy crashes while people live and he loses OR economy recovers but he loses voters he needs OR he loses both the economy and voters he need) the only move is not to play, which means postponing the election.  And given how Trump act, it scares me that that's a legitimate possibility.

I think only congress can postpone the election.  Thing is, even if the election is postponed to say President's Day 2021.  Trump and Pence have to vacate the office on Jan. 20.  Whoever is the speaker of the house on that date, would be acting President. 

I think you can still have the election; just do vote by mail.  Prepare for it now.  Every state has absentee balloting; so it shouldn't be that hard to switch everything to vote by mail.

Hottest hot take:

Biden ruled mentally unfit (suck it, Tailgate) by his own party.  Cuomo wins the hearts of the people by constantly putting himself in front of everyone during the Covid crisis and managing NYC tragedy as best as he can.  Democrat party comes together, puts Cuomo up for election this summer.  Trump loses, Cuomo is the next president.  

Archived