Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Re: rejects women candidates tweet

thats nonsense. I liked klobuchar but she was a weak candidate that managed to hang on longer than she should have. Harris had a chance and her campaign fell apart when it got its first bump in numbers.  Gabbard is Gabbard and actually won 1 delegate tonight I have no idea what is going on there. 

warren has obvious flaws as a candidate and there’s been good discussion on campaign strategy mistakes. 

she didn’t get rejected for being a woman. She got rejected because we care more about stage presence than detailed plans to tackle the toughest issue of this generation 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

thats nonsense. I liked klobuchar but she was a weak candidate that managed to hang on longer than she should have. Harris had a chance and her campaign fell apart when it got its first bump in numbers.  Gabbard is Gabbard and actually won 1 delegate tonight I have no idea what is going on there. 

warren has obvious flaws as a candidate and there’s been good discussion on campaign strategy mistakes. 

she didn’t get rejected for being a woman. She got rejected because we care more about stage presence than detailed plans to tackle the toughest issue of this generation 

Twitter is filled with lazy virtue signaling.  Zeddy just wanted everyone to know how woke he is.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

She is American Somoan, she was born there.  

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

It's not like Klobuchar and Warren are getting beat by Bill Clinton or Obama.  Klobuchar is a better centrist candidate than Biden and Warren is a better progressive candidate than Sanders.  Yet when electability is the foremost issue on the dem voters' mind, they couldn't come close.  Voters who would turn them down due to gender maybe in the distinct minority, but I don't think the individual voters trust the other voters to be gender blind.  And that translates to electability concerns and erosion of support.

Many young voters sat out Super Tuesday, contributing to Bernie Sanders' losses 

>>>

Young voters cheer Bernie Sanders' anti-establishment message. They turn out in throngs at his rallies. And they form the core of his grassroots efforts to win the Democratic presidential nomination.

But their fiery passion did not translate into the robust turnout he needed on Super Tuesday to win a number of key states, notably in the South where a strong showing by former vice president Joe Biden has made the nomination contest a two-man race......<

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

It's interesting looking at Bloomberg's numbers in Cali, Utah, and Colorado, likely boosted by early voting, but matching or beating Biden right now in all. 

I think it's definitely early voting.  Biden had to play catch up in Texas too after starting in the hole.  I don't think he can make up ground all the way on Sanders, but I would be surprised if Bloomberg stays ahead in CA.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Kind of shocking that Bloomberg is doing so well in Cali.  (looking at the results....)

49 minutes ago, visionary said:

It's interesting looking at Bloomberg's numbers in Cali, Utah, and Colorado, likely boosted by early voting, but matching or beating Biden right now in all. 

Maybe because every other commercial for the past month here in Cali has been a Bloomberg ad?

Also I had no wait to vote this afternoon after work (4PM ish). Longer walk to the poll from the high school parking lot actually.

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

It's not like Klobuchar and Warren are getting beat by Bill Clinton or Obama.  Klobuchar is a better centrist candidate than Biden and Warren is a better progressive candidate than Sanders.  Yet when electability is the foremost issue on the dem voters' mind, they couldn't come close.  Voters who would turn them down due to gender maybe in the distinct minority, but I don't think the individual voters trust the other voters to be gender blind.  And that translates to electability concerns and erosion of support.

It's crazy, Biden is hit left and right for gaffes and short circuits, yet Warren is bad candidate because she has a plan for everything?  All we keep hearing about is the safest choice to beat Trump. Not who would make the best president. 

That was Warren hands down, one of the biggest reasons I voted for Bernie instead is because folks wouldnt give her a chance.  Bernie was right, this wasnt the time for a female candidate because of how people felt about Trump.

It jus makes no sense, it's so easy to say Hillary was a bad candidate, but worse then Trump?  What, that she wasnt likea le enough or visit the midwest enough while the other candidate is bragging about grabbing women by the p****y?  I dont think it's as simple as not wanting a female candidate. But I'm not buying theres nothing to see here. It should never be a bad time to elect a female president, its 2020 FFS, not 1920.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

We have a civics problem in this country where the youth just don’t take politics seriously and no one but a massive, driven culture change of an absurd magnitude is changing that. Banking your election on the youth is the surest way to never win public office of any kind in America.

I think people who are assuming young people will eventually join the electorate and thus democrats will eventually win the war are wrong.  I don't think the future will resemble the past.  The civic networks and institutions that have traditionally driven participation are declining: home ownership, business ownership, church membership, having children in the school systems, etc.  Lifetime voting habits aren't being created.  Peer networks that reinforce participation  are declining.

And economic empowerment and freedom being so heavily linked to political empowerment and participation is a bad dynamic for Democrats too.  The electorate is just going to get smaller as older generations age out unless somebody figures out how to get immigrants to join and habitually vote.

It's a bad sign for Democrats that young people are urbanizing too.  They're diluting what electoral power they have in doing so.  Economics drive the movement, there is no escaping that incentive.  And it also decreases an individual sense of stake in the community when you will never be a homeowner in it.

Democrats have also intensively alienated voters under ~35.  Not as alienating as Republicans are, but it's been enough to create a large class of non-voters.  I think Democrats have this idea that young people will fall in line as they hit their 30s and buy houses and put kids in the school systems, but I think what will actually happen is they just never become habitual voters, and certainly not reliable Democrats.

I'm 34 and you know what the Democratic Party means to me?  Weakness.  Uselessness.  Perpetual losing.  I can't remember a single significant political victory the party has achieved in my lifetime.  16 years of presidency that accomplished nothing, and indeed oversaw the hollowing out of the standard of living of the working class, the ladder being pulled up on my generation, the accelerated degradation of the environment, and the run away rightward plunge of the country.  Republicans lose big elections and still win every political battle.  Every significant progressive social or cultural change the country experienced came from the bottom up, and happened in spite of Democratic leadership, not because of it.  These are all serious problems for the party.

Archived