Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

That’s why despite all this Trump is still the favorite. He just needs:

1. The economy to be rebounding in October.

2. The coronavirus under control. If there’s a 2nd wave in the fall, the government has it under control and isn’t having the devastating impact the first wave is.

No one really likes Joe. That’s why he needs a Veep to help bring enthusiasm to his ticket.

15% sounds about right.  Biden easily covers the gap by drawing in moderates, tho.

Bold prediction.  if Bernie doesn’t get out ahead of this and start driving his base to support Biden and we end up with 4 more years of Trump...that will be the death of the left in the US in our lifetimes.  Self-immolated and completely squashed for 40-50 years or more.

That will be the legacy of the Bros.

12 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Truth be told I feel like a large amount of the "Bernie bros" are Republicans anyway so that does not surprise me at all.

Bernie supporters/voters, yes, possibly. Bernie "Bros", no. The hardcore, 'Bernie is our savior', 'no one else can save the country' Sanders guys aren't Republicans. 

The BernieBro fantasy is that Bernie Sanders, who could not win a primary consisting of left leaning voters, would DESTROY!!! Trump in an election. I don’t care for Biden as a candidate. I don’t care for Bernie even more at this point. But it’s absolutely true that a huge impediment to Bernie is his inability to form a big tent coalition and the insanity of his core constituency has a lot to do with it. You can’t simultaneously call people snakes and closet Republicans, and then except them to show up and vote for your candidate. 

23 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Who votes for the polar opposite  because their person lost...again?

There's a portion of Bernie's base that is anti-establishment, regardless of who they end up voting for. It's the reason why there were many Bernie supporters voted for Trump last time. Then there is the personality cult part of this. 

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

There's a portion of Bernie's base that is anti-establishment, regardless of who they end up voting for. It's the reason why there were many Bernie supporters voted for Trump last time. Then there is the personality cult part of this. 

Exactly.  The personality cult makes sense because, although Trump and Bernie are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, they have A LOT of similarities too.  Lots of demagoguery, lots of telling people that they are getting screwed by others (Trump/immigrants and the deep state, Bernie/corporate interests and rich people, both of them/"the establishment"), unrealistic solutions for those problems that sound good if one is detached from reality, lots of claims of "telling it like it is," lots of stoking a lunatic online base, lots of misogyny, very little pragmatism or expertise and a contempt for both.

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Glad you put it this way, makes this make more sense as anti-establishment that's either left or right, not just Trump or Bernie.  Expecting some to fall for cult personalities basically makes the next Trump or Bernie inevitable, whether they get elected or not.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Lol. Lots of people like Joe. It’s why he is destroying Bernie. 

Rdskns2000 is right. from the article Evil posted - 

Biden consolidates support, but trails badly in enthusiasm: Poll

Former Vice President Joe Biden has emerged as Democrats’ top choice for the presidential nomination in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll, but with only bare majority support within his party and a massive enthusiasm gap in a November matchup against President Donald Trump.

Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%.

48 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No, he's not.  If nobody liked Biden, he wouldn't be crushing Bernie, which he is.  *Points to scoreboard.*  You are confusing love with like.  

It takes a lot for every county in an entire state to be won by a candidate none of them like. I mean, if this was impossible, we wouldn't have Trump, the bar is that low on likeability right now. 

We haven't even gotten to the pandemic fully moving inland to be seeing his approval rating on it is even based on reality in the ground. It just tells me a lot of people haven't gotten their ass kicked so bad they asking if we could've done something different yet.

54 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No, he's not.  If nobody liked Biden, he wouldn't be crushing Bernie, which he is.  *Points to scoreboard.*  You are confusing love with like.  

I think we're interpreting him differently. he said he needs a strong vp to bring enthusiasm. the poll indicates a lack of enthusiasm for joe. do you think the poll is wrong?

39 minutes ago, grego said:

I think we're interpreting him differently. he said he needs a strong vp to bring enthusiasm. the poll indicates a lack of enthusiasm for joe. do you think the poll is wrong?

I think the poll is right, but the analysis in the article has some faults.  Biden is still in a campaign, Trump is not.  The enthusiasm for Biden will go up when the choice is between Biden and Trump, not Biden and Bernie.  As @Renegade7 noted, being "somewhat enthused" about Biden is probably good enough when the only other option is Trump.   I strongly suspect that if the question was "how enthused are you to vote against Trump" the "very enthused" number among all Democrats would go way up.  

I certainly agree for the need to bring a strong VP, but I don't think anyone is thinking "hey, lets pick a milquetoast VP."  The simple fact that Biden has already said it'll be a woman is strong evidence that he understands this.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The only reason he's crushing Bernie, is he's the only alternative.  The SC Dems made that determination to go with Joe and then the Super Tuesday states followed.

If this was a normal election season with no Trump as the opposition; Biden would've been gone after Iowa.

Petty aren't excited to vote for Biden.  He's the only choice left.  The more people see him, he will turn off some voters.  Maybe turn them off enough, they won't even bother to vote. As the dirt come as out on Biden, that will turn off some voters.  

Trump, still has and probably will still have his core base; that's excited to vote for him.  Whatever happens the rest of year with CoronaVirus won't change their minds.  Now, the economy; that's a different thing.  That could be the kryptonite to Donald's chances.

I am still hoping something happens that prevents Joe from being the nominee and the Dems give to someone else.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

That’s why despite all this Trump is still the favorite. He just needs:

1. The economy to be rebounding in October.

2. The coronavirus under control. If there’s a 2nd wave in the fall, the government has it under control and isn’t having the devastating impact the first wave is.

No one really likes Joe. That’s why he needs a Veep to help bring enthusiasm to his ticket.

There are plenty of people that like Joe. The ones you want to bring to the ticket are they ones they don't like.  I think Joe is going to win and probably was the only one that ran who could have.

1 hour ago, grego said:

As PleaseBlitz pointed out the difference is between love and like.  Yeah the guys that loved their candidate were really enthusiastic about him/her problem was/is they generated an equal or greater counter (enthusiasm? or something) that would have driven people to vote against them.  No one is going to be voting against Biden and Biden will pick someone that is fairly moderate in most peoples eyes - Klobucher or Cuomo (slightly less moderate but now is an option). 

Archived