Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Cant believe I’m defending him but this is not true. Nate Silver has been talking about how Biden is actually gaining in polls among people who are paying very close attention. 

The Biden voting demographic isn’t very active in digital media. He’s the comfortable choice for the 40+ primary voting crowd who is going to outvote then younger, more liberal base.

I think there's also the mentality among a significant portion of the party that thinks "there's no way these very left policies by Sanders, Warren, etc will gain any traction in the general".  And I think the pundits overestimate the racism line of attack on Biden.  He's bff with Obama and has defended him at every turn.  Biden the racist charge only goes so far.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

And that he can’t articulate any of his positions or back them up with factual content. And that he repeatedly contradicts himself. And that he resorts to childish name calling.  And that a lot of what he says are very blatant lies that he definitely knows are lies.

They’re actually nothing alike.

You're right. I was trying to compare them both speaking directly, but constant lying means you aren't really saying what you think. 

If Biden winds up the nominee, the VP pick becomes especially important, given his age.  There's a good chance the VP might wind up President anyway (officially or behind the scenes), either because of death in office or diminished mental capacity.  Example being how obviously diminished Reagan had become during his second term.

it's unfortunate, but something you have to consider if he's going to be 78/79 when he starts his first term.

4 minutes ago, Forehead said:

If Biden winds up the nominee, the VP pick becomes especially important, given his age.  There's a good chance the VP might wind up President anyway (officially or behind the scenes), either because of death in office or diminished mental capacity.  Example being how obviously diminished Reagan had become during his second term.

it's unfortunate, but something you have to consider if he's going to be 78/79 when he starts his first term.

If Biden wins I have a hard time believing he is in this for 8 years, despite what he might want people to believe right now.  I agree he needs to pick a good VP. 

26 minutes ago, Forehead said:

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If Biden wins I have a hard time believing he is in this for 8 years, despite what he might want people to believe right now.  I agree he needs to pick a good VP. 

In all seriousness...does it really matter for a lot of us? The first step for me is getting that current ****tard out of power. Then we can repair the damage done and move forward.

If Biden is the nominee though I'd fully expect Corey Booker or Amy Klobacher to be the Veep choice. I'm sure I'm missing another obvious choice (like Warren but I don't see her as a VP pick tbh).

If it's Warren, I'd expect Tim Ryan or Mayor Pete get legit consideration.

I've come to the conclusion that whether a candidate supports MFA or not doesn't really matter.   Because MFA has a snowballs chance in Southtown of actually passing, a president who is going to push MFA will almost certaintly have to accept a fallback position of public option.   And this all assuming the Democrats can recapture the Senate which isn't a foregone conclusion either.

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Cant believe I’m defending him but this is not true. Nate Silver has been talking about how Biden is actually gaining in polls among people who are paying very close attention. 

The Biden voting demographic isn’t very active in digital media. He’s the comfortable choice for the 40+ primary voting crowd who is going to outvote then younger, more liberal base.

i disagree but either way it doesn’t change how garbage and uninspired his presidency will be and he would likely be a 1 term president imo with no significant legislation or moment 

it’s good we won’t have trump but Biden brings no hope or taking the senate. Mitch and the boys will still run things and stonewall any of Biden’s meek and moderate proposals anyway. 

So 4 years of spinning tires so he can be blamed for a recession and a lack of improvement in any meaningful way and we will have no ammo for 2024. 

18 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

All of that said, I'm not sure VP picks matter that much in general. I agree with you there. I just disagree with your assertion that the notion (specifically in the case of Indiana vs swing states) is silly on its face.

So the rest of this conversation seems to have run it's natural course and I'm not going to spend a lot of time going down a rabbit hole re-explaining things I think were pretty clear or debating about things I never said. For starters, I never said a word about Buttigieg. Noting I was discussing has anything to do with him, or anyone in particular (though Beto was the example being cited earlier). 

So, as an end to where I'll go in this, let's recap quickly. Here is what I said, which you quoted and responded to:

On 8/1/2019 at 3:17 AM, Rufus T Firefly said:

The idea that a VP pick who's really popular in his home state couldn't possibly help in that home state but one should be picked because he's sure to help in other states is just silly.

Here is what you are claiming I said:

18 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

your assertion that the idea of Buttigieg being more impactful in swing states than in Indiana is "silly".

If you can't figure out the complete difference between what I said and what you claimed I said then that is on you. I feel like it should be easy enough to understand and I feel like, with this post,  I've spent more than enough time spelling out what really shouldn't have needed to be spelled out.

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

Ultimately, I agree with you that the VP pick is especially important for Biden, but not for the reasons you state.  I think the VP pick is important because a very vocal, activist part of the party is not overly please with him, and he needs to appease them.  

But 78 now is not the same as 78 in the 1980's.  People that have lived very comfortable lives like Biden and Trump have live for ****ing ever these days.  

Edit:  I am, however, very concerned with Biden's age due to the beliefs that tend to come along with his generation not aligning with my own. 

I personally think Tammy Duckworth would be a great VP pick for Biden. Youngish (51), woman, first senator to give birth while in office, disabled war hero, person of color, served in the Obama administration, holds Obama's senate seat, etc. Plus she's just moderate enough for Leftist Twitter to hate her and that's always a plus in my book. 

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ugh, I jus read how the Iowa Caucuses works, that's stupid, why do some states do caucuses instead of primaries still?

It is stupid. I can vote in a primary in 5 mins or less.

I’m glad I don’t have to carve out time and make childcare arrangements just to stand around for three hours while supporters of another candidate try and change my mind. No thanks! 

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ugh, I jus read how the Iowa Caucuses works, that's stupid, why do some states do caucuses instead of primaries still?

I question why, given the makeup of the democratic party, the first primary/caucus is still held in Iowa.

15 hours ago, DoneMessedUp said:

I personally think Tammy Duckworth would be a great VP pick for Biden. Youngish (51), woman, first senator to give birth while in office, disabled war hero, person of color, served in the Obama administration, holds Obama's senate seat, etc. Plus she's just moderate enough for Leftist Twitter to hate her and that's always a plus in my book. 

45 would probably like a chance to mock another disabled person on stage

On 8/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Gravel has dropped out. I didn't even have him listed as a candidate, that shows you how successful he was.

He was barely running. He had a couple of teenagers running his campaign, he wasn't leaving Alaska and he was saying things like 'we've almost reached the end of what we want to do with this campaign' (I'm not looking up the actual quote, it's words to this effect).

I was going to post this weekend that I was setting the over/under on dropouts in August at 3.5 and see what people thought. Gravel was the only specific one I was sure would be on the list. He jumped my post. 

Archived