Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Sorry no, not this guy. For politicians and men like him who actually espoused racist views and profited from it politically and monetarily, no. Walsh is a perfect example of how we got here and he even admits it and thinks its what qualifies him to be the next president of the united states. 

Letting these ass-wipes get away with it due to some misguided sense of -- I dont even know what to call it -- is really the wrong way to go about it. Not only would we be making the same mistake twice, but it would show that there are ZERO political prices to be paid for electing, empowering and supporting a man like Donald Trump to hurt this country in so many ways. As long as you say my bad. 

48 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

When he was running for the Senate, David Duke apologized for his past ties to the KKK, too. I guess we really dropped the ball not "giving him a path" to forgiveness. 

I don’t think its the same thing. 

And yes, even someone like Duke deserves a path to forgiveness if his words are matched by actions. This has never happened with him, in fact the opposite, so it’s a moot point. 

But people who have been radicalized in hateful and bigoted ideologies and communities deserve a chance to change ways, make amends and often can be the strongest advocates against them.

So I guess my question is what has Walsh done to make me believe he actually means what he says and it not just another way for him to gain political power. 

It seems reckless to me to not be skeptical of the exact type of man we know is clever enough to pretend hes sorry and use that to his advantage. 

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So I guess my question is what has Walsh done to make me believe he actually means what he says and it not just another way for him to gain political power. 

It seems reckless to me to not be skeptical of the exact type of man we know is clever enough to pretend hes sorry and use that to his advantage. 

Nothing. 

Hes the post-Trump GOP model in still being verifiably racist but not senile.  Thing is what Trump has done is gone all in for his base, so anyone with one foot in one foot in wont get the same level of support he does from them.  So I agree Walsh is not the answer, but what Walsh is going to find is that he cant talk about turning over a new leaf and fill Trumps shoes for his base at the same time.

Should be fork in the road for the GOP, not sure how Trumps base is going to take going back to dog whistles after using a megaphone the last three years.  Gotta keep in mind how many of them were first time voters or rarely voted, finally found something they liked.

The fact that Joe Walsh even thinks he could make a difference in the 2020 general election is more a commentary of how low Trump has set the bar more than an example of anyone pining for Joe Walsh to be President.   

If this is our first preview at what a post-Trump GOP is going to look like?  Things aren't getting better. 

43 minutes ago, Llevron said:

There isn't really political power to gain here.

He also isn't running to appeal to people like you or me. But if you think Trump needs to be out of office by any means necessary, liberals need to work and openly welcome every skeptical anti-Trump voice that is willing to disavow their crappy past and work towards getting this awful person out of power.

Trump needs to be battered and bruised from people closer to his political bent. Walsh/Scaramucci/Weld or people like Amash/Flake/Corker can do a small but significant amount of damage to Trump's grip on power.

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

He also isn't running to appeal to people like you or me. But if you think Trump needs to be out of office by any means necessary, liberals need to work and openly welcome every skeptical anti-Trump voice that is willing to disavow their crappy past and work towards getting this awful person out of power.

Oh don't get me wrong, if Walsh entering the race, aids in Trump losing in any way? I am all for it.  I think my reply specifically was sort of looking ahead to a post-Trump GOP and pondering what direction they would be going in the face of "Trump fatigue" 

Visiting the family in VA in April when DC news was announcing that Biden was going to announce 🙄...Mom said if the Democrats nominate him, she'd have to vote for trump again. My sister and BIL agreed. 

(I was very sick & anemic on this trip, had no energy at all.)

But I managed to jump up out of my late father's recliner & yell, "No, you sit your ass HOME!!" ...and then came the rant...How could you vote for a p-grabber? Don't know where I got the strength from, but I let 'em have it. 

I've gotten into it before with family about politics, but never like that. I went back to the hotel quite proud of myself. It probably didn't work, but I got it out that they were idiots for voting for someone so amoral, being the holy-rollers they are. 

38 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There isn't really political power to gain here.

Trump needs to be battered and bruised from people closer to his political bent. Walsh/Scaramucci/Weld or people like Amash/Flake/Corker can do a small but significant amount of damage to Trump's grip on power.

You are a smarter man than I when it comes to this so I ask this hoping you can teach me something. But doesnt letting him get away with apologizing and then moving on risk normalizing his bull**** and making it easy for others to get away with something similar? I think my problem in this case is Walsh himself and his views and not really that he used to support Trump. I guess my problem is Im not sure im able to weigh how much we should allow him to get away with verses trying to bridge the gap with people like him. 

What is this was Lindsey Grahm? Or -- hell -- Mitch? 

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You are a smarter man than I when it comes to this so I ask this hoping you can teach me something. But doesnt letting him get away with apologizing and then moving on risk normalizing his bull**** and making it easy for others to get away with something similar? I think my problem in this case is Walsh himself and his views and not really that he used to support Trump. I guess my problem is Im not sure im able to weigh how much we should allow him to get away with verses trying to bridge the gap with people like him. 

What is this was Lindsey Grahm? Or -- hell -- Mitch? 

If Lindsey Graham or Mitch McConnell go on TV tomorrow and declare that Trump be removed from office at any cost in 2020, they would be doing the country a huge favor and would deserve accolades. 

They won’t do it because there is a greater negative cost to opposing Trump right now than supporting him for conservatives.

There is a small window between now and 2020 for conservatives to either double down on supporting a clearly insane and dangerous person or say their apologies and try to make things better. 

If Trump loses in 2020, a whole bunch of people will do what some anti-Trump GOPers are doing now and they will all be full of ****. But any GOP figure that is doing it now, when pretty much they will be rejected by 90% of their own party and win no love amongst liberals, I see no real political gain for them except they probably do think that Trump is awful, they recognize they had a role in helping him get elected and it’s time for them to fix the mess by any means necessary.

Times of crises lead to weird alliances. This is one of them. Trump needs to be hammered from the left and he needs to be hammered from the right. 

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That was 2016. Took them about a week to bend over for Trump and **** on every one of their supposed values.

This why I'm not buying them doubling down if they lose in 2020.  

Let's say its so bad they lose the senate as well, every value they gave up on was in the name of riding Trump's coattails to stay in power.  If this strategy of bending over backwards for Trump's base turns into a losing strategy instead of a winning one, why double down on it?  If we agree that the GOP's real platform is staying in power versus being a true conservative party, saying that doesn't make sense isn't the same as saying everything else they do doesn't make sense "so what's the difference".  

What we call stupid is really just the actions of shameless pathelogical liars that will say anything to stay in power.  That's what kills me about this, many of them aren't stupid, they are just saying stupid **** to try and take advantage of people they think are stupid.

For me, the problem with the 2016 results is that it yielded the right-wing the Supreme Court, for likely quite some time.  If Trump is re-elected I don't imagine RBG outlasting his second term either.   The GOP knows their brand, as it currently stands is out of favor with the majority. Their strategy now seems to be finding ways to enact laws through legislation and/or stacking courts to make sure the voice of the people doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Let's say its so bad they lose the senate as well, every value they gave up on was in the name of riding Trump's coattails to stay in power.  If this strategy of bending over backwards for Trump's base turns into a losing strategy instead of a winning one, why double down on it?

Because their base is their base. You can't spend a decade plus cultivating a culture of anti-intellectualism, hate, fear, and conspiratorial mindlessness then all of a sudden flip the switch. They bent over for Trump because the mouth-breathing morons that they created are doing exactly what they were trained to do... worshipping a dumbass piece of **** and believing every stupid lie they get fed as long as the guy who's lying to them pretends to be a Republican, let's Wayne LaPierre go all the way him on a first date, and promises to make life for brown people as miserable as possible.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Because their base is their base. You can't spend a decade plus cultivating a culture of anti-intellectualism, hate, fear, and conspiratorial mindlessness then all of a sudden flip the switch. They bent over for Trump because the mouth-breathing morons that they created are doing exactly what they were trained to do... worshipping a dumbass piece of **** and believing every stupid lie they get fed as long as the guy who's lying to them pretends to be a Republican, let's Wayne LaPierre go all the way him on a first date, and promises to make life for brown people as miserable as possible.

But they are doing that because it was working, when it stops working will they keep doing that?  I'm at a point that the only reason I'm going to care what they say is because I believe its contributing directly to mass shootings by white supremacists, otherwise, why should I care if the GOP keeps losing elections?  Think about it, Kansas has a democratic governor now, Biden and Beto are both leading Trump in the polls in Texas.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But they are doing that because it was working, when it stops working will they keep doing that?  

Working in what way though?

Even if disaster falls the GOP and they start losing elections, they're not going to give up 50+ years of social networking and branding thats created an entire right-wing media empire.

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

When they find someone competent to put a reasonable, even likeable, face on that, it will be tough to beat.  

Just now, Mooka said:

Working in what way though?

Even if disaster falls the GOP and they start losing elections, they're not going to give up 50+ years of social networking and branding thats created an entire right-wing media empire.

Working in that they are a year removed from full control of all three branches of government with a President that parrots their propoganda machine.

How many blue waves is it going to take before they give up on the issues they think are holding them back?  At what point are they going to crack and have to step back on their race issue stances because they need conservative minorities to survive?

The frustrating part is not the die in the wool Trump supporters.  Those folks are a lost cause.  They are the same 30% of the country that will support the craziest candidate on the right every single time, they listen to Fox and right-wing radio all day, every day.  Their intellectual curiosity on the issues of the day begin & end with what Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, & Tucker Carlson have to say on things.   You are never going to get to them in an overwhelming substantive way. Maybe over the years bits & pieces of them will come to their senses, but as a voting block, they are who they are.

The frustrating part is the other people who voted for (and might vote for again) Trump. The ones who actually felt Trump & Hillary were "two sides of the same coin" the ones who have watched the last three years and would still consider voting for him based on some pretty dumb narratives that have seeped into the mainstream. The ones who outside of politics-heavy discussion don't seem all that out there.  The people you would otherwise consider rational thinking.  

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But they are doing that because it was working, when it stops working will they keep doing that?  I'm at a point that the only reason I'm going to care what they say is because I believe its contributing directly to mass shootings by white supremacists, otherwise, why should I care if the GOP keeps losing elections?  Think about it, Kansas has a democratic governor now, Biden and Beto are both leading Trump in the polls in Texas.

I'm saying, changing course is going to work less. Look, they had John Kasich who is an actual conservative and who was arguably the best candidate in the field on either side of the aisle running in 2016. Trump wiped the floor with him. They can try to prop up a good candidate but the same thing is going to happen. Some asshole is going to get up on stage and talk about how the real enemy is democrats and immigrants and that is who the base will fall in love with. They've created a cult of stupid voters and it turned into Frankenstein's monster, killing the Republican Party and any semblance of conservatism that remained.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I'm saying, changing course is going to work less. Look, they had John Kasich who is an actual conservative and who was arguably the best candidate in the field on either side of the aisle running in 2016. Trump wiped the floor with him. They can try to prop up a good candidate but the same thing is going to happen. Some asshole is going to get up on stage and talk about how the real enemy is democrats and immigrants and that is who the base will fall in love with. They've created a cult of stupid voters and it turned into Frankenstein's monster, killing the Republican Party and any semblance of conservatism that remained.

Worse yet, some guy is going to get up there and use all the dog whistles and code he can to let everyone listing know exactly what he means but still maintain possible deniability and we will be right where we left off after the first black guy ever to be President wasn't born in America but thats ok cause he called him a Muslim and not a negro. We all know where this leads. I would sooner crush the throat of my enemies than help them up and brush them off. 

*George Bush* 

Fool me once - aint gonna fool me again

Archived