Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

It was already mentioned above, but "identity politics" only seem to be seen in a negative light when the said identity isn't "white working class" because we've heard non-stop how that is the..............IDENTITY............that the Democrats need to win back in order to win the 2020 election.   

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It was already mentioned above, but "identity politics" only seem to be seen in a negative light when the said identity isn't "white working class" because we've hard non-stop how that is the..............IDENTITY............that the Democrats need to win back in order to win the 2020 election.   

This is certainly true. 

Edited to add: I am liking a Warren - Buttigieg ticket. Great policies and energy, plus expresses the themes of 2018. 

Saw Butigeig on Meet the Press. (And that's pretty much everything I know about him). I certainly thought I liked his "vibe". Really seemed positive. 

I know absolutely nothing about his policies.

Warren strikes me as someone who takes every thing people disliked about Hillary, (with the exception of 20 years of right wing smears), and magnifies them. I mean, she's an angry woman policy wonk. 

Not that I think being qualified and having a plan ought to disqualify someone. But it sure gives me a nervous feeling. 

Thought this was interesting.

They found that while opinions of the president have been very consistent since 2016, "Obama-Trump voters have had a significant change in their view of President Trump over the last two years. In the 2016 VOTER Survey, more than 8 in 10 (85 percent) Obama-Trump voters held a "favorable" view of the president — 19 percentage points higher than in 2019 (66 percent)." In other words, while Obama-Trump voters still overwhelmingly approve of the president, that support is a lot softer than it was back in 2016. They did not find any significant movement among any other group of voters (like those who supported Romney in 2016 and Trump in 2016, or those who voted Romney 2012 and Clinton in 2016). And, while these Obama-Trump voters remain supportive of the president,  "even small movement among these voters — who represented 5 percent of voters in 2016," writes the authors of the report, "may prove significant heading into the 2020 presidential election."

In an analysis of the 2018 election Yair Ghitza, chief scientist at the Democratic data firm Catalist, makes the case that while turnout was a key factor in Democrats success in 2018, "a big piece of Democratic victory was due to 2016 Trump voters turning around and voting for Democrats in 2018." In 2016, Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by 2 points. In 2018, Democrats won the national vote by 7 points. Ghitza's analysis finds that almost 90 percent of that 5 point difference in vote margin came from voters who supported Trump in 2016, but voted for a Democrat in 2018. CNN's Ron Brownstein does an excellent job of explaining the methodology and the findings of this Catalist study in his recent CNN column

https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/national/national-politics/are-voter-opinions-trump-stable-they-seem

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/11/18661072/trump-campaign-internal-polling-denial

During campaign rallies since he’s become president, President Donald Trump has repeatedly dismissed polls that reflect poorly on him as somehow representing “suppression,” or not including the 10 percent of people he thinks support him but refuse to say so publicly.

But his denialism about bad polling now reportedly extends to polls conducted by his own campaign.

As Politico recently detailed, the Trump campaign put together a 17-state polling project that found the president lagging behind Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden in key battleground states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. But according to the New York Times’s Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman, after he was briefed about the “devastating” polling, Trump told his aides to deny it and instead tout polls showing him doing better.

From the Times:

After being briefed on a devastating 17-state poll conducted by his campaign pollster, Tony Fabrizio, Mr. Trump told aides to deny that his internal polling showed him trailing Mr. Biden in many of the states he needs to win, even though he is also trailing in public polls from key states like Texas, Michigan and Pennsylvania. And when top-line details of the polling leaked, including numbers showing the president lagging in a cluster of critical Rust Belt states, Mr. Trump instructed aides to say publicly that other data showed him doing well.

Trump denying the polls and facts in general is part of what makes him who he is.  He is a con man.  He is Lyle Lanley from The Simpsons convincing Springfield they need a monorail in their city.   

Never acknowledge anything negative, any criticism.  Just put out this false sense of confidence and invincibility over and over.  Eventually a lot of people start to believe it themselves.   That is Trump's strategy every time, and unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to be able to see through it.  All these social media influencers who are attempting to make a living based on doing nothing?  Trump laid out the blue print for this over the past 30 years, except he did it in real life and not on instagram.  You almost have to sort of admire it, until you remember he is actually the President of the United States. 

Right, but the takeaways are (1) the polling looks extremely bad for Trump right now and (2) he has no intention of doing anything to try to change people's minds.  

He conned a whole lot of people, importantly those in the midwest.  Are those people going to be conned twice?  The early indications point towards no. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right, but the takeaways are (1) the polling looks extremely bad for Trump right now and (2) he has no intention of doing anything to try to change people's minds.  

He conned a whole lot of people, importantly those in the midwest.  Are those people going to be conned twice?  The early indications point towards no. 

How will that polling change as the polling models change though?

Who actually votes is what matters.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't know. That is as honest as I can be.  In my liberal bubble, of course the answer is "No, they won't be conned twice" however you also have to remember that it isn't just Trump that is running the con, it is the GOP in it's entirety, Fox, right-wing radio, facebook etc etc etc.......it is not like Trump is attempting to do this on his own. 

Also, once the field of Dems is narrowed down and we eventually get the nominee, it will add an entire new aspect to this because it won't just being about how bad Trump is anymore, but also how effectively right-wing media can tear down his opponent.  All of those "reluctant Trump voters" will only need to be convinced that while Trump is not the greatest.....his opponent is a "insert whatever here" so you must vote Trump again to prevent America from "insert whatever here" 

I think we (the electorate) need to pay attention to what happened during the 2018 election season and who was elected to the House. The more I see, I am supporting a Warren - Buttigieg ticket. Wisdom, policies, youth, female, healthcare, foreign policy, getting things done.

We need to take the best and most feasible ideas from all the Democrats running and put them in the platform. Then down ballot candidates can choose which ones to run on in their communities. 

Of course I will vote for the Democratic nominee. Let's field the best slate across the board and build on 2018 excitement and resultant gains.

Archived