Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Well, I agree that he has dangled his vote a bunch of times going back before 2016 even.  I don't really think it's fair to beat up on him like this though, even it is is annoying.  

That’s fair. You gotta admit that vote diva is funny tho. 

Also I'm not sure relying on left wing crazies who would rather vote for a third party or young people who aren't reliable votes is a good idea either.   The way to win is to hold reliable Dem voters and persuade independents who are likely to vote (both liberal and anti-Trump on the moderate-right). 

It’s not left wing crazies and young people. It’s middle class white people in the suburbs with a college degree, especially women. @Mooka got it right. 40% of people don’t vote. If you get 5% of them to turn out because Trump wants to take away their healthcare and is an asshole, you win bigly. That should be an easy sell because it’s true. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'll try to tone it down a bit on that.

I just want to feel special *tear*

You're one of my favorite posters, but I do feel like the vote thing comes off as borderline manipulative at times (whether it's meant to be or not)

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I dont understand thus question. 

thats ok, its probably because i'm misunderstanding what you are saying. buzz (and i and others ive heard) are saying they don't like trump, etc. these are the votes that, imo, the dems should be courting. 

instead, what you are saying to us is that we are looking for an excuse to vote for trump or someone else, as if we aren't sincere. it sounds like you are saying we don't want your votes anyway because secretly you really are a trump supporter, no matter what you actually say. 

the things that buzz laid out as no go zones as far as policy that he couldn't vote for arent crazy. do you think buzz is far right?

1 minute ago, visionary said:

You're one of my favorite posters, but I do feel like the vote thing comes off as borderline manipulative at times (whether it's meant to be or not)

Thanks.  That means a lot from you.

I would say it isn't meant as manipulative, at least in the way I think you mean.  More like reminding lender there are other options if I don't like their rate.  I'm not beholden to a certain bank and they aren't just guarenteed my business.  The majority of Dem voters aren't switching banks.  So the new to focus more on getting the new customers.  That puts me in a better position than them to get better terms.

16 minutes ago, visionary said:

Well, I agree that he has dangled his vote a bunch of times going back before 2016 even.  I don't really think it's fair to beat up on him like this though, even it is is annoying.  

Also I'm not sure relying on left wing crazies who would rather vote for a third party or young people who aren't reliable votes is a good idea either.   The way to win is to hold reliable Dem voters and persuade independents who are likely to vote (both liberal and anti-Trump on the moderate-right). 

already 'thanked' this post, but this is my thinking as well as far as strategy. 

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think you are being a jerk. I said fence sitters arent the votes dems should be targeting and you evidently took offense, being a fence sitter. 

ok, this is what i'm talking about. why would anyone in their right mind not want to court fence sitters if they are trying to win an election?

6 minutes ago, grego said:

thats ok, its probably because i'm misunderstanding what you are saying. buzz (and i and others ive heard) are saying they don't like trump, etc. these are the votes that, imo, the dems should be courting. 

instead, what you are saying to us is that we are looking for an excuse to vote for trump or someone else, as if we aren't sincere. it sounds like you are saying we don't want your votes anyway because secretly you really are a trump supporter, no matter what you actually say. 

the things that buzz laid out as no go zones as far as policy that he couldn't vote for arent crazy. do you think buzz is far right?

I’m not saying anyone doesn’t want your vote or anyone else’s vote. That would be crazy. 

I’m saying that targeting specific voters costs time and money, and those things are scarce, which means choices have to be made. The way to maximize the impact of those resources is to use them to convince voters that already agree with you but don’t always vote, to vote.  You spend time and money getting those people engaged. Obama was awesome at this. Hillary sucked at this. This is the ballgame. 

It is too time consuming and expensive to try to “convert” people that aren’t already on your team. There are also a lot more nonvoters than independent voters. Also, if you try too hard too woo independents with moderate/compromise positions, you turn off your base, and you cannot risk that. 

With respect specifically to Buzz, if he’s really anti-Trump, then great. He sure spends a lot of time saying this issue or that issue impacts his decision making process, so I may have assumed that meant he’s not actually anti Trump. Someone that is truly anti Trump isn’t concerned with policy minutae, they just want a competent President that isn’t embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Really?  80% of the guns in people's homes are incapable of taking a magazine of 10 rounds or smaller?  

Or is somebody trying to ban any weapon for which a magazine bigger than 10 rounds exists?

It was a while ago that all that went down but, based on memory, it was any gun CAPABLE of holding more than 10 rounds.  That would be pretty much any semi-auto long gun or hand gun.  I think the 80% number came from the sheer number of semi-auto guns.  And I dont remember where the 80% number came from, be it reputable source or admitted estimate.  I don't think that percentage would be terribly far off though.

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thanks.  That means a lot from you.

I would say it isn't meant as manipulative, at least in the way I think you mean.  More like reminding lender there are other options if I don't like their rate.  I'm not beholden to a certain bank and they aren't just guarenteed my business.  The majority of Dem voters aren't switching banks.  So the new to focus more on getting the new customers.  That puts me in a better position than them to get better terms.

Because i think it’s funny, i am going to take your metaphor literally. :)

In reality, most people don’t seek other lending options. 

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data-research/research-reports/know-before-you-owe-mortgage-shopping-study/

Mortgage interest rates and loan terms can vary considerably across lenders. Despite this fact, many homebuyers do not comparison shop for their mortgages. In recent studies, more than 30 percent of borrowers reported not comparison shopping for their mortgage, and more than 75 percent of borrowers reported applying for a mortgage with only one lender. Previous Bureau research suggests that failing to comparison shop for a mortgage costs the average homebuyer approximately $300 per year and many thousands of dollars over the life of the loan.  

Also, retail banks kind of focus on getting new clients. Moreso they try to get their existing clients to use more of their products. This was what happened with the Wells Fargo scandal. 

https://thefinancialbrand.com/64880/wells-fargo-cross-selling-culture-strategy/

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Out of curiosity, what would be the point of the EC then?

Doesn't matter if our Presidential elections don't run properly. 

Its point is irrelevant if the result isn't correct.

We can go back to Hamilton vs Madison, but it's pretty clear that the goal has always been to prevent a situation where someone wins without the majority of votes.

*Sorry to be confusing, not talking about the popular vote.

49 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, presidential reelection do have a long history of being referenda on the sitting POTUS. And by far the #1 factor is how well the voters think the economy is doing. 

The sitting POTUS, with a good economy, is tough to beat. 

Larry, I wasn't poking fun at the prediction that Trump is favored to win reelection. I do think his behavior so far during his presidency is impeding what otherwise could very well set up for a true landslide in his favor.

I just think its comical to hear a win with 294 electoral votes as a blowout. Huh?  And another model cited in the article predicted he'll win the popular vote 54-46 percent. There's no way in hell that happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the electoral college., but at this point (albeit a long time from the Democrats choosing a nominee) I'd be very surprised if he doesn't lose the popular vote again. 

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

With respect specifically to Buzz, if he’s really anti-Trump, then great.

Okay I know I said have a good evening but seriously?  Do you even read my posts???

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because i think it’s funny, i am going to take your metaphor literally. :)

In reality, most people don’t seek other lending options. 

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data-research/research-reports/know-before-you-owe-mortgage-shopping-study/

Actually this just proves my analogy.  Most people aren't going to change the party they vote for.  They don't shop around.  I do.  And I'm in a position to use it to my advantage.  Having a great credit score allows me to shop around as does not identifying with a particular party.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay I know I said have a good evening but seriously?  Do you even read my posts???

Sometimes. 

Actually this just proves my analogy.  Most people aren't going to change the party they vote for.  They don't shop around.  I do.  And I'm in a position to use it to my advantage.  Having a great credit score allows me to shop around as does not identifying with a particular party.

Right, but its more cost effective for banks to engage their existing clients, not go searching for new ones they have to convince to switch. So that’s what they do. In some cases, they do it so hard it’s actually illegal. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wells-fargo-class-action/wells-fargo-to-pay-480-million-to-resolve-lawsuit-related-to-sales-scandal-idUSKBN1I52IV

10 minutes ago, Mooka said:

o prevent a situation where someone wins without the majority of votes

I could be wrong (I'm not) but that is not the case otherwise they would have just said straight popular vote.  It is there in case the voters **** it away, which they failed to do here.

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right, but its more cost effective for banks to engage their existing clients, not go searching for new ones. So that’s what they do. In some cases, they do it so hard it’s actually illegal. 

I wonder why banks keep chasing my business then *shrugs*

And I guess all the commercials are meant for existing customers?  

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I wonder why banks keep chasing my business then *shrugs*

And I guess all the commercials are meant for existing customers?  

Yes, I’m certain you have bankers (and politicians) chasing you through the streets every day.  :ols:

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, I’m certain you have bankers (and politicians) chasing you through the streets every day.  :ols:

Can I forward you my junk mail?

Jokes aside, the point remains.  Yes you need to re-engage your existing customers but bringing on new customers is quite important. 

Either way, I should not have reengaged with you.  That was my mistake.  

Have a good evening. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Can I forward you my junk mail?

Jokes aside, the point remains.  Yes you need to re-engage your existing customers but bringing on new customers is quite important. 

Either way, I should not have reengaged with you.  That was my mistake.  

Have a good evening. 

The point is one of these things is much more important than the other. 

Archived