Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What about Biden’s policy positions makes you think he is the best candidate or what about them makes you like him the best?

The best candidate doesn't always win.    2 of our last 3 presidents prove that.

Lizzie is the best candidate running out there. While I don't agree with her on many things, I like how she's specific on how she will tackle various problems.

Her problem is, can she convince Dems to be their nominee and convince the overall populace to vote for her over Donald.

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What about Biden’s policy positions makes you think he is the best candidate or what about them makes you like him the best?

Yeah I didn’t say anything about policy.

I think he has, above and beyond, the most positive and best name recognition with regular people.  He’s known as Obama’s boy so that gets points.  He’s one who can absolutely flip all those Midwest and rust belt districts back to blue.  When Trump was trying to tout his wealth to anyone who would listen while he was simultaneously going bankrupt, Biden was riding the train to congress like an average guy.  Plus he speaks what’s on his mind.

He has what it takes to beat Trump.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Yeah I didn’t say anything about policy.

I think he has, above and beyond, the most positive and best name recognition with regular people.  He’s known as Obama’s boy so that gets points.  He’s one who can absolutely flip all those Midwest and rust belt districts back to blue.  When Trump was trying to tout his wealth to anyone who would listen while he was simultaneously going bankrupt, Biden was riding the train to congress like an average guy.  Plus he speaks what’s on his mind.

He has what it takes to beat Trump.

Could not disagree more. He has so much baggage that can be exploited (fair or not) that it will be difficult to get past the nomination process much less beat a sitting president, no matter how daft the president is. Of course he is known by the most right now, he was VP for 8 yrs. But just knowing someones name is not a good reason to vote for someone - yes I get many people vote that way but it does not make it any less of a stupid reason to vote. I believe someone else will emerge and ultimately win the nomination. 

Historically the democrats who win the general election were not the front runners going into the primary season. They were second tier candidates that made their case to the early primary states and gained momentum. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama, none were seen as front runners when they decided to run. But they had a great message and made their cases to the early primary states and took control from there. 

I expect to see someone like Mayor Pete, Andrew Yang, Tulsi Gabbard or someone like them to emerge. Maybe even a Jay Inslee or Kirsten Gillenbrand. I do not know who but I really believe someone like that will emerge. Someone will come in a surprising second in Iowa or NH and then take off. The only top candidate I see being able to be long term successful is possibly Bernie Sanders. He has refined his approach from 2016 and is better at staying on message. He has a lot of support having just run a few years ago and a lot of fiercely loyal supporters galvanized by the shenanigans of the DNC. 

Let me be clear, I am not supporting anyone just yet or making any predictions. Just going through the analytical process without picking a candidate. I will do that once the field narrows considerably. Right now there are just too many. Need to see who emerges and has a legitimate chance to win the nomination. 

A note about the DNC - I think it's a mistake to shut Fox out of the debate process, just like I think it's a mistake to not do a town hall on Fox. Yes, they are the penultimate purveyors of hate. But I think Pete put it best. While there are several opinion hosts that are not there in good faith, there are people that watch in good faith. Need to reach everyone you can and get the facts out and make sure the proposed policies are fully and accurately understood. 

Biden is going to be exposed so badly. Voting for him because you think he will beat Trump is delusional. First, it’s the wrong reason to vote for a candidate. It’s low information voter status. Secondly, the guy has so much baggage that it’s hilarious.

This is a microcosm of the mess dude is

He won’t beat Trump, and he won’t get out of the primaries. And people aren’t enthusiastic over him. I really think corporate media and establishment Dems wants to push him as the candidate more than anyone.

27 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Biden is going to be exposed so badly. Voting for him because you think he will beat Trump is delusional. First, it’s the wrong reason to vote for a candidate. It’s low information voter status. Secondly, the guy has so much baggage that it’s hilarious.

Agree and disagree.  Ordinarily, against any other incumbent, I would agree that it's the wrong reason to vote for a candidate.  But Trump is a clear and present danger to the country and its future, and the most important thing is to beat him.  Biden, for all his faults, is well-liked within the Democrat party establishment, has a ton of experience, and seems to play well in a lot of the places the Dems need to win (e.g., Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan).  

I think his record will certainly be an issue.  Whether he wins the nomination or not will be determined largely by how he navigates that.  Can the other candidates attack him effectively and get it to resonate?  Maybe, maybe not.  Bernie seems to be the only one willing to go scorched earth at this point, but he's not a Democrat and doesn't seem to be doing all that well now that there are many likable candidates.  Harris, Warren and Buttigieg can certainly press the case that his past holds some troubling votes, but it will be interesting to see if people give a damn about the Hyde amendment, or just want the person perceived as the most likely to crush Trump.  You can scoff at low-information voters, but that's like 70% of the electorate. 

Your assertion that "He won’t beat Trump, and he won’t get out of the primaries" runs counter to all available information.  

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

Running against an opponent like Trump, I don’t think that baggage really matters.

Sure, all the other dem nominees can out-benevolence him.  That’s what the democrat party is all about at this point though, who is the most pure, altruistic soul of the bunch.  I don’t care about who has the best “plan” and whose platform helps others the most.  I care about who can beat Trump.

Side note:  I’ll vote for any dem candidate, from Bernie to De Blasio.  So whoever it is already has my vote.  I simply think that Biden is the person who has the best chance to beat Trump.

33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Harris, Warren and Buttigieg can certainly press the case that his past holds some troubling votes, but it will be interesting to see if people give a damn about the Hyde amendment, or just want the person perceived as the most likely to crush Trump. 

Warren and Biden don’t like each other so she will 100% go for his neck.

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

He has been slipping in the polls recently.

When the debates take place, we will see.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Warren and Biden don’t like each other so she will 100% go for his neck.

He has been slipping in the polls recently.

When the debates take place, we will see.

You're holding out for Bernie to break through, right?

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Running against an opponent like Trump, I don’t think that baggage really matters.

How could it not?

She's already branded as Pocahontas and it bleeds into her overall electability.

She has to figure out a better spin on this issue, not because its important or matters in the slightest but because the issue will come up again and again and again.

I agree that Warren bungled that issue.

However, it's not like anyone swayed by branding candidates in such an immature fashion would ever NOT vote for Lord Dampnut (nice one). I'm not sure how far she'll make it (I hope very far indeed) but I think most Dem voters could give a toss about that issue, given how remarkably qualified and smart she is.

Archived