Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

It will be interesting to see how Bernie performs on the stage with candidates that are more progressive (in general) than in the past.  When it was Bernie vs. Hillary the differences were stark.

One thing Bernie will always have on his side is the authenticity factor, and I think that resonates with people.  He never comes off like he is faking anything for the sake of votes.

14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Warren will get eaten up during what's gotta be a ****show of an election with President tabloid running again next year.

She can't dish out or take all the bull**** required.

I think the biggest mistake any candidate will make, and most of them will make it, is trying to beat Trump at his own game.  The smart candidates won't even mention Trump, they'll skillfully refer to Trump's shortcomings and failures, but they won't engage him in a battle of name calling.  They'll respond by saying something to the effect of, Trump can call me whatever not nice things he wants, I'll continue to talk about voter's problems and how to solve them. 

Edit:  "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  -- George Bernard Shaw

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the biggest mistake any candidate will make, and most of them will make it, is trying to beat Trump at his own game.  The smart candidates won't even mention Trump, they'll skillfully refer to Trump's shortcomings and failures, but they won't engage him in a battle of name calling.  They'll respond by saying something to the effect of, Trump can call me whatever not nice things he wants, I'll continue to talk about voter's problems and how to solve them. 

Edit:  "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  -- George Bernard Shaw

Its not just Trump though, it's an entire media machine, online propaganda campaigns and millions of MAGAS running around pushing all sorts of nonsense 24/7.

Judging by how she's handled the Pocahontas thing so far I have doubts she'll be able to handle things when they ramp up.

8 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Its not just Trump though, it's an entire media machine, online propaganda campaigns and millions of MAGAS running around pushing all sorts of nonsense 24/7.

Judging by how she's handled the Pocahontas thing so far I have doubts she'll be able to handle things when they ramp up.

What is your perception of "how she's handled the Pocahontas thing?"

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I would not underestimate Bernie. He’s got a mailing list and groundgame headstart on every single person entering the race. 

He hasn’t really lost much popularity he gained in 2016 and holds one of the highest favorabolity ratings of any Congress member. 

I won’t be voting for him but he’s not exiting the primary field early. He’s going to be one of the last few standing IMO.

Sanders has what I'll charitably call a devoted fanbase. Cultish is probably more like it. I could see him winning the primary the same way Trump did, there's a 35% Trump vote and a 65% Not Trump vote split between 10 people. 

Some of his competitors have basically adopted his platform which may hurt, but ultimately he has the most authentic leftist credibility. In the general election I think his views will be way more of a liability than his supporters realize, but if I had to put money on who's winning the primary it would be on Sanders.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Where did you get these numbers?  

https://hechingerreport.org/how-the-military-created-the-best-child-care-system-in-the-nation/

In fiscal year 2015, the government spent approximately $700 million on military child care and after school programs, including “staff salaries, equipment and supplies, food costs, program accreditation fees and support services,” according to DoD spokesperson Lt. Col. Gabrielle M. Hermes. 

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9218/index1.html

The Department of Defense (DoD) supports the largest employer-sponsored system of high-quality child care in the United States. Through accredited child development centers (CDCs), family child-care homes, youth centers, and other after-school programs, the DoD provided approximately 176,000 spaces for military children ages 0–12 in fiscal year 2006.

15 minutes ago, twa said:

https://hechingerreport.org/how-the-military-created-the-best-child-care-system-in-the-nation/

In fiscal year 2015, the government spent approximately $700 million on military child care and after school programs, including “staff salaries, equipment and supplies, food costs, program accreditation fees and support services,” according to DoD spokesperson Lt. Col. Gabrielle M. Hermes. 

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9218/index1.html

The Department of Defense (DoD) supports the largest employer-sponsored system of high-quality child care in the United States. Through accredited child development centers (CDCs), family child-care homes, youth centers, and other after-school programs, the DoD provided approximately 176,000 spaces for military children ages 0–12 in fiscal year 2006.

You are using numbers from two different articles that cite a period almost 10 years apart.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

he has zero appeal among minorities.

That's the thing that'll hurt him the most. Plus the stories about how women were treating within his campaign the last time around will be a noose around his neck. Considering a large portion of the democratic electorate will be women and minorities, he's got a very tough hill to climb. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

You are using numbers from two different articles that cite a period almost 10 years apart.

Feel free to find current ones....the size of active duty service members is roughly the same over that time period.

https://historyinpieces.com/research/us-military-personnel-1954-2014

and looks like I'm close on the 200K...a 2015 article

https://qz.com/369740/one-thing-the-us-military-gets-right-childcare/

the military provides state-of-the-art daily care to more than 200,000 children from newborns through 12 years.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Wasn't saying you were wrong.  I found it interesting when you posted it but couldn't find anything with those numbers.  Thus why I asked.

I'd be interested in knowing how many Warren is proposing paying for.

or making the 'ultra' rich pay for :pint:

Beto wants more millions to play with.....can't blame him after his last haul :ols:

I kind of feel like a Kamala Harris type is one that will excel against Trump.  Not saying it will be her specifically, but she has a way about her where she is able to sound stern and resolute without insults.  She also has the experience to refute Trump on his nonsense.   I feel like certain candidates their only choice when trying to "sound tough" will be getting down into the gutter with Trump.

Still say it is way too early to make any grand proclamations about who the best candidate is though.

I wonder if with Bernie he is starting to get the Nader-effect.  A cool idea at the time, but ultimately could be what prevents a Democrat from getting elected. I know the two don't 100% equate since Nader ran as green party, it is more about the candidate-specific loyalty each guy tends to elicit in their followers. 

I have no qualms about Bernie running in 2020, my bigger worry is if he comes in 2nd or 3rd, what happens with his followers. 

34 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

^^^I'd probably support that as long as it came with a class called "How To Stop Breeding If You Can't Afford Their Care."

Kinda related to this, my Trump supporting brother has 4 kids and his wife is pregnant with their 5th. He's getting back $11,500 in tax refund this year. I'm not sure the details of how. I told him that based on his income that means he is literally paying 0 taxes on his income and he's also actually getting money from other people's taxes because he doesn't have the personal responsibility to not have kids when he can't afford them. I told him I am glad to know that he supports this type of welfare. That didn't go over well. 

Archived