Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

This link was posted in another thread, but I thought it belonged better in this one.  (Although, actually, it more affects elections after 2020.)  

WaPo (Opinion):The Trump administration pushes for a change that could derail the census

Basically, the R's want to add a question to the 2020 census, asking respondents about their US Citizenship status.  Editorial at least claims (and it seems like a reasonable assumption, but still an assumption) that this question will have the effect of causing illegals to simply not report themselves as "present" at all, resulting in the populations of Dem-voting areas being under-counted.  

5 hours ago, Larry said:

This link was posted in another thread, but I thought it belonged better in this one.  (Although, actually, it more affects elections after 2020.)  

WaPo (Opinion):The Trump administration pushes for a change that could derail the census

Basically, the R's want to add a question to the 2020 census, asking respondents about their US Citizenship status.  Editorial at least claims (and it seems like a reasonable assumption, but still an assumption) that this question will have the effect of causing illegals to simply not report themselves as "present" at all, resulting in the populations of Dem-voting areas being under-counted.  

My reaction is that, sure, even considering this is a bad look for the Trump administration because of the obvious racial undertones.  In reality, any proposed change that actually might happen (and this proposal is not at that stage yet) would result in a lengthy court battle that probably would not be resolved far enough ahead of time to change the census.  Then the question becomes:  does the simple fact that this was a thing that was considered also drive down responses among the targeted populations.  

Maybe this is more a discussion for the immigration thread but to me, illegals shouldnt count toward number of representatives.  I can understand wanting to know how many illegals are in an area but it wouldnt surprise me they wouldnt wamt to answer on a census anyways.  I think the amount of representation for a certain area should be based on the number of citizens, not number of warm bodies though.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe this is more a discussion for the immigration thread but to me, illegals shouldnt count toward number of representatives.  I can understand wanting to know how many illegals are in an area but it wouldnt surprise me they wouldnt wamt to answer on a census anyways.  I think the amount of representation for a certain area should be based on the number of citizens, not number of warm bodies though.

It is a interesting question whether the large % of illegals here in Texas increase our voting power(the same for Cali ect)

If ya combined the illegal numbers for Texas, Cali and Florida it is more than total population for many states combined :)

I'm a little surprised about not wanting to count illegals- its a bit of a wash politically.

They count for representation and getting some types of population-based federal funds, but they aren't actually allowed to vote, so border states like AZ and TX should be loving that deal.

Then again, blue states with large illegal immigrant populations like California and Colorado also benefit from that as well.

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Well should illegals be counted for the purpose of Government representation?  Now I think they should be counted for census purposes but including them in the numbers to determine Congressional Representation?

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

More voter manipulation. ****ers

???? What has this to do with voting?  Are you upset that Illegals won't be able to vote? Can't see how that would effect them one way or the other.  It could have an effect on Representation.

I don't want this question for the simple reason that the government hires huge quantities of people to canvas the entire U.S., and I don't trust that the numbers of undocumented people won't be skewed to affect voter districts.

With all the voter suppression and gerrymandering shenanigans the Republicans do, I don't trust them a bit.

27 minutes ago, visionary said:

Are we sure this isn't just a tactic to give Trump an excuse for his voter fraud rants and or get these people to out themselves so they can be arrested by ICE.

It would be stupid to use the Census as a tool to report criminal activity to law enforcement.  But then we are talking Trump.

4 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I don't want this question for the simple reason that the government hires huge quantities of people to canvas the entire U.S., and I don't trust that the numbers of undocumented people won't be skewed to affect voter districts.

Well if this is what you fear there is nothing to prevent them from skewing data anyway by under or over reporting. (The question would have little impact if the census is corrupted as you fear).

14 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well should illegals be counted for the purpose of Government representation?  Now I think they should be counted for census purposes but including them in the numbers to determine Congressional Representation?

SCOTUS said yes to the first.

Creates interesting dynamics since many cities allow them to vote,but state and federal do not.

I think that it is a fair question to include, as would be showing ID to vote. However, like voter ID, the motive is obvious and would  be why I would disagree with including it. Same could be said with purging the roles. I think I made a similar point on a thread last year some time where we were asked about our political contradictions thread. In theory all of this makes sense, but motive should prevent it from happening. Now if there was bi-partisan support, then maybe. We all know that isn't gonna happen. 

For what it is worth, census has been asked to report populations' responses for the purposes of detainment in the past. The Census and its director at the time refused. The internment camps happened anyway, but Census data was not used. The question is whether we still have faith in the politically appointed director at the time to maintain similar moral stands when Congress and law enforcement ask? Why put them in the position.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If oprah becomes a serious democrat candidate im just giving up on America and movin to the Bahamas to play golf and drink ****tails every day for the rest of my life. 

If I had the ability to do that I would no matter candidate or election outcomes.  What are you thinking man?  Just go!

Archived