Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

51 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I would like to see Pete Buttigeig  as the next President of the United States.  He is clearly a thoughtful, intelligent man. High school valedictorian. Magna cum laude at Harvard. Rhodes scholar.  Service in Afghanistan in the U.S. Military.  People talk about his lack of national political experience, but that's not entirely true.  Before becoming mayor he worked at the firm of former Defense Secretary William Cohen, as a fellow at the Truman Institute for National Security, and as a policy advisor for John Kerry's presidential campaign.

The courage to come out during his re-election campaign for mayor is extraordinary.  That he won with something like 80% of the vote showed what South Bend thought of him.  His firm, quiet resolve would stand in stark contrast to the raving lunatic he would run against.  He has a way of zinging Trump...  a dis mixed in with pity for the dottering dotard.  His center-left politics works for me. 

Too bad he's a long shot.  He would make an excellent, unifying President, a calm steady hand at the helm.

How do you feel about their actual vision for this country? 

48 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I would like to see Pete Buttigeig  as the next President of the United States.  He is clearly a thoughtful, intelligent man. High school valedictorian. Magna cum laude at Harvard. Rhodes scholar.  Service in Afghanistan in the U.S. Military.  People talk about his lack of national political experience, but that's not entirely true.  Before becoming mayor he worked at the firm of former Defense Secretary William Cohen, as a fellow at the Truman Institute for National Security, and as a policy advisor for John Kerry's presidential campaign.

The courage to come out during his re-election campaign for mayor is extraordinary.  That he won with something like 80% of the vote showed what South Bend thought of him.  His firm, quiet resolve would stand in stark contrast to the raving lunatic he would run against.  He has a way of zinging Trump...  a dis mixed in with pity for the dottering dotard.  His center-left politics works for me. 

Too bad he's a long shot.  He would make an excellent, unifying President, a calm steady hand at the helm.

Sorry, but against Trump; a gay man won't win.  If it wasn't Trump; he would have a shot. Trump brings out the worst people to vote and those Christians will be voting force. Can't let a gay man be president.

13 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Genius marketing move by Yang.  After you sign up you are course encouraged to donate to his campaign.   I bet the amount of new donations they have coming in will more than exceed the payouts for the 10 Freedom Dividends. 

Also likely a campaign finance violation, but the benefits probably outweigh that.  Strategic cheating.  

22 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Sorry, but against Trump; a gay man won't win.  If it wasn't Trump; he would have a shot. Trump brings out the worst people to vote and those Christians will be voting force. Can't let a gay man be president.

Yeah I hate to say it but you're probably right.

But I do think he'll be a star in the future. Might be the go to in 2024.

48 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How do you feel about their actual vision for this country? 

"This election is not about any of us up here. It is not about this President, even though it’s hard to talk of anything else some days. It’s about the people who trust us with their lives. A kid wondering if we’re actually going to make their schools safe when they’ve learned active shooter drills before they’ve learned to read, a generation wondering whether we will actually get the job done on climate change. If we hold to that, then it doesn’t matter what happens to each of us professionally. Together we will win a better era for our country."

- Pete Buttigieg, last night

I'm cool with it.

48 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

As a military officer serving under, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and as an elected official in the State of Indiana when Mike Pence was governor, at a certain point when it came to professional setbacks, I had to wonder whether just acknowledging who I was was going to be the ultimate career ending professional setback. I came back from deployment and realized that you only get to live one life, and I was not interested in not knowing what it was like to be in love any longer. So, I just came out. I had no idea what kind of professional setback it would be, especially because inconveniently it was an election year in my socially Conservative community.

What happened was that when I trusted voters to judge me based on the job that I did for them, they decided to trust me and reelected me with 80% of the vote. What I learned was that trust can be reciprocated and that part of how you can win and deserve to win is to know what’s worth more to you than winning. I think that’s what we need in the presidency right now. We have to know what we are about.

-Pete Buttigieg, last night

He won in socially conservative South Bend, Indiana.  It could happen nationally. 

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

"This election is not about any of us up here. It is not about this President, even though it’s hard to talk of anything else some days. It’s about the people who trust us with their lives. A kid wondering if we’re actually going to make their schools safe when they’ve learned active shooter drills before they’ve learned to read, a generation wondering whether we will actually get the job done on climate change. If we hold to that, then it doesn’t matter what happens to each of us professionally. Together we will win a better era for our country."

- Pete Buttigeig, last night

I'm cool with it.

What is he proposing to arrest climate change? Mass shootings?

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

What is he proposing to arrest climate change?

From Wiki:

Buttigieg favors renewed U.S. commitment to the Paris climate agreement. In June 2017, he was one of 407 U.S. mayors who signed a pact to adhere to the agreement after President Trump announced his intention to withdraw from it. Buttigieg also supports the Green New Deal proposed by House Democrats.

Buttigieg supports solar panel subsidies and a carbon tax and dividend policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The very very little I saw of Mayor Pete, he really did cme across as very likable, very positive, very young.  I like the tone he set.  

The lack of experience does limit him, I'd say.  And I'd say that the gay would hurt him nationally.  Yes, there's a lot of discrimination in America that isn't the Nazi flag waving kind, but still affects people.  

Yes, Obama was able to overcome it, by getting record black turnout.  Does Pete get the same effect, to offset the discrimination against him?  

However, part of me thinks that his tone might really help a more experienced candidate.  I think of him on a stage standing next to Biden, or Liz, and maybe his positivity helps those two look less old/angry.  (Then again, I'm probably overestimating the effect of the Veep on the ticket.  Has any Veep actually made a noticable difference in a ticket?  Maybe Sarah Palin, but I'm not even sure about her.)  

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

- Pete Buttigieg, last night

I'm cool with it.

As a military officer serving under, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and as an elected official in the State of Indiana when Mike Pence was governor, at a certain point when it came to professional setbacks, I had to wonder whether just acknowledging who I was was going to be the ultimate career ending professional setback. I came back from deployment and realized that you only get to live one life, and I was not interested in not knowing what it was like to be in love any longer. So, I just came out. I had no idea what kind of professional setback it would be, especially because inconveniently it was an election year in my socially Conservative community.

What happened was that when I trusted voters to judge me based on the job that I did for them, they decided to trust me and reelected me with 80% of the vote. What I learned was that trust can be reciprocated and that part of how you can win and deserve to win is to know what’s worth more to you than winning. I think that’s what we need in the presidency right now. We have to know what we are about.

-Pete Buttigieg, last night

He won in socially conservative South Bend, Indiana.  It could happen nationally. 

When Donald isn't on the ballot. Something in this Trump era just amplifies all the bad.

59 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

When Donald isn't on the ballot. Something in this Trump era just amplifies all the bad.

I don't automatically see the presence of Trump as ruling out Pete.  In some ways, this might be the best time in our history for a gay man to have a chance.  

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you sure the cat is going to share the money if it wins?  Have yall already had that discussion? :ols:

not with me but she never leaves my wife's side so I think i have an in. Either I'm getting it second hand through my wife or i come home one day and they've thelma and louise'd me. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I don't automatically see the presence of Trump as ruling out Pete.  In some ways, this might be the best time in our history for a gay man to have a chance.

Reminds me of a bit from the Patton Oswalt netflix special 

I think that’s one of the reasons people don’t like Trump so much, is that he really has shoved our faces, very hard, into how not evolved and progressive we are as a country, as we like to tell ourselves. I think there was maybe a little bit too much back-patting after we elected Obama twice. There was a little bit too much, “You’re welcome, Earth. Yeah, that’s right, we, uh, we’re pretty amazing. It’s America 2008. We’re, uh, on the vanguard. That’s right. Yeah, you’re welcome. Pretty good. Pretty amazing.” And then after eight years of Obama, it was time to elect either a very qualified woman or a racist scrotum dipped in Cheeto dust. And… the country said, “Ah, let's see what the scrotum has to say. I don’t know. Maybe he’s… something kind of new.”

We couldn’t go from black guy to woman. It was just too much of a jump. Going from Obama to Hillary for us, I think what it is is imagine going skydiving for the first time and your feet hit the ground, your heart is thumping, all that adrenaline. And someone just runs up and says, “Hey, let’s go bungee jumping right now.” You’re like, “I need to just sit on the couch for, like, a week and eat Triscuits and watch X-Files reruns. I can’t just go right to ******* bungee jumping.” That’s what… Trump is our sitting on the couch, watching X-Files after. Because clearly a big part of the country while Obama was president was internally going, “Black guy!!!” So, they needed this racist palate cleanser, if you will. This cup of white supremacist sorbet.

And by the way, we will have a woman president, probably sooner than later. But keep… Guys. Guys. Guys! Easy. No! We will have a woman president. But just keep in mind that after she serves her term, the choices will very probably be a very qualified gay guy and then a KKK dude with the ass cut out of his jeans and… The country’s gonna go, “Let’s see what the KKK guy has to say… I don’t know. Maybe he has… some ideas. I’d love to hear them. I mean, his ass is hanging out. That’s fresh. I never… saw that before, right?”

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Oh and a Warren/Beto ticket would be nice...as would a Warren/Booker ticket (although that would strategically be a lot of New England representation).

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Agree that two New Englanders is a better idea.

So, as a New Englander, I feel like I need to challenge some people to go look up what New Jersey is not a part of.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, as a New Englander, I feel like I need to challenge some people to go look up what New Jersey is not a part of.

Fine, two candidates from the same NE corridor is a bad idea for several reasons.  What is New Jersey since it's not Mid-Atlantic?  What pronoun do you want to identify as? : )

Archived