Rdskns2000

Presidential Election :11/3/2020- Trump the Impeached vs Superplanner Lizzie & some other Dems

Recommended Posts

If Biden escapes the primary as the nominee, it will be amazing to watch the GOP suddenly feel that he is a socialist as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larry said:

 

I think that the amount of wage increases that doesn't get passed on will be so tiny that we can pretend it doesn't exist. That the number of businesses that even have the option of not passing it on are minuscule. 

 

For virtually all businesses, it will be a choice of passing it on, or going out of business. (Or something similar, like replacing SOME workers with robots. More worker pay per hour, less total worker hours.)

 

There is a wide body of evidence that has looked at minimum wage increases that comes to very different conclusions as to the amount of pass through depending on what minimum wage increase they are looking at (and even sometimes when looking at the same minimum wage increase).

 

The variation in the results is just not consistent with the idea that pass through is always nearly 100%.  It is much more consistent with the idea that the pass through can vary.

 

And there is value in terms of prices and therefore presumably market share (and therefore profits) in not passing costs through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If Biden escapes the primary as the nominee, it will be amazing to watch the GOP suddenly feel that he is a socialist as well. 

 

You are talking about a movement which actually accused Warren Buffet of being anti-capitalist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Nursing has an issue right now in that during the great recession (especially) a lot of people went into nursing as it was seen as a good route to get a job (nursing programs are generally pretty competitive, but especially during the great recession), which has suppressed nurses wages.  If there were good federal government jobs, then that would pull people away from being nurses to those jobs.   That would raise demand and so wages for nurses.  The effect would not be large in specific to nurses or direct.

 

I'll also point out today most nurses have a college degree.

 

 

Thats interesting because around here there’s a huge shortage of nurses. And retention is hard because

- ACA put cost controls on the hospitals plate, but instead of passing them along they (among other things) increase the patient ratio for nurses, to the point that many experienced nurses are leaving the hospital for offices because the workload is so much higher now (and many of them view it as a safety issue)

- hospitals are offering huge signing bonuses to those willing to change employers. 

 

Of all the conversations I’m privy to re:  nursing, not one has included nurses complaining about suppress wages. Nursing is still a great career here. You can find a job almost anywhere, it’s never going away, and it pays really well. Especially if you stay a floor nurse and work 3 days a week, the pay combined with the convenience (especially with kids) of being off 4 days a week is pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

You are talking about a movement which actually accused Warren Buffet of being anti-capitalist. 

 

I'd tell the Dem nominee to force Trump/GOP at large to call FDR a socialist,  Clinton a socialist, Obama a socialist, just keep them using the word, let them dilute it and make it meaningless.   The progressive wing of the party is trying to get back to FDR's economic principles (updated for modern society) rather than a Bill Clinton-modeled party. These policies tend to be popular until they are slapped with the "socialism boogeyman" tag, but that tag is applied to anything that isn't full blown Reaganism trickle down.  It is time for Dems to stop being afraid of the term "socialism" and instead point how stupid the GOP is for even invoking it in the first place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tshile said:

 

Thats interesting because around here there’s a huge shortage of nurses. And retention is hard because

- ACA put cost controls on the hospitals plate, but instead of passing them along they (among other things) increase the patient ratio for nurses, to the point that many experienced nurses are leaving the hospital for offices because the workload is so much higher now (and many of them view it as a safety issue)

- hospitals are offering huge signing bonuses to those willing to change employers. 

 

Of all the conversations I’m privy to re:  nursing, not one has included nurses complaining about suppress wages. Nursing is still a great career here. You can find a job almost anywhere, it’s never going away, and it pays really well. Especially if you stay a floor nurse and work 3 days a week, the pay combined with the convenience (especially with kids) of being off 4 days a week is pretty good. 

 

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/nursing/rn-salaries-remain-flat-2016

 

"Nursing ranks third on the Bureau of Labor Statistics' list of occupations with the most job growth. While employment of RNs is projected to grow by 15% between 2016 and 2026, their salaries are not increasing at the same booming rate.

 

In fact, Medscape's newly released "RN/LPN Compensation Report 2018" finds that salaries for both RNs and licensed practical nurses have remained flat for two years. The study was conducted in 2018 and 5,011 RN and 2,002 LPN respondents reported their 2017 salaries."

 

(I'll also point out the 4 day work week is really a suppression of compensation that has happened longer term.  With the 4 day work week, they no longer count as full time employees.  When I was young, my mom worked at hospital as a full time employee and that included benefits (health, dental (for a family) and retirement).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife’s full time work week was 3 days a week 36 hours a week and she was treated as a full time employee. Full benefits. 

 

Not sure how it is everywhere but that’s how it is here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Springfield said:

 

BS - Every one of the people in this thread slamming Biden right now will vote for Biden in the GE or they’re just as bad as the Brernie bros who voted for Trump.

If he's the nominee, we'll see.  I think they won't be that motivated to come out.  Yes, the Bernie Bros will be angry if Bernie doesn't get the nomination. They will say it was rigged for Joe.   The younger blacks won't be motivated for someone who help pass the 90's crime bill.   That lower turnout could be the difference.

 

I could be completely wrong but I don't have faith in the American voters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until the Biden support changes significantly, the Bernie Bros have nothing to be mad about if Bernie doesn't get the nomination.  If they want to pout and sit 2020 election out, possibly helping Trump get re-elected that is on them, but this is nothing like the 2016 primary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 300th time: Democrats voted for Donald Trump too. (6-9%) Republicans voted for Hillary Clinton too. (5-7%) 

 

Bernie voters went Trump 8-11%. 

 

This magical 1-3% of Bernie Sanders voters that cost Clinton the election does not exist.

 

Democrats stayed home and did not support Hillary Clinton. Bernie Bros voted more then your average Democrat.

 

How come no one asks why 6-9% of Democrats voted for Trump? They're not real Democrats right? Like the 90% of Sanders voters don't count apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If he's the nominee, we'll see.  I think they won't be that motivated to come out.  Yes, the Bernie Bros will be angry if Bernie doesn't get the nomination. They will say it was rigged for Joe.   The younger blacks won't be motivated for someone who help pass the 90's crime bill.   That lower turnout could be the difference.

 

I could be completely wrong but I don't have faith in the American voters.

 

It could have changed, but I read that Biden had the strongest support from black voters of any candidate.

 

I too, don’t have faith in American voters though...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mooka said:

 

 

Bernie voters went Trump 8-11%. 

 

This magical 1-3% of Bernie Sanders voters that cost Clinton the election does not exist.

 

 

If Bernie voters went 8-11% Trump, how did that not help cost Hillary the election?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

 

If Bernie voters went 8-11% Trump, how did that not help cost Hillary the election?

The Bernie to Trump support was lower than other times. Like when 24% of Hillary primary supporters voted for McCain.

 

The truth is she ran a bad campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

 

 

The truth is she ran a bad campaign.

 

No one is disputing that truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

 

No one is disputing that truth. 

thats why she lost.

 

It would be one thing if more Bernie voters went to Trump than any time in however many years. That didn't happen here.

 

Her campaign sucked and people weren't interested in coming out to vote for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

 

If Bernie voters went 8-11% Trump, how did that not help cost Hillary the election?

 

Help or cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Springfield said:

 

It could have changed, but I read that Biden had the strongest support from black voters of any candidate.

 

I too, don’t have faith in American voters though...

That's older voters. Probably 45 and up.  Actually, a big reason he's leading but that support could fade away among the older blacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

Thank goodness Trump and Jr. don’t have any of those.

Edited by visionary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.