Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've been seeing a bunch of Tom Styer commercials but no one else.  Is this the same for everyone?

Probably says something about your viewing habits. Or your wife's. 

(Insert old paranoid smiley here.)

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've been seeing a bunch of Tom Styer commercials but no one else.  Is this the same for everyone?

Where?  I haven't noticed any.  I see some for others on twitter, though none that I can think of in the last few days.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the thing, the progressives arent derailing the moderate agenda, quite the opposite.  It's because of them and their base Pelosi got back the Speakership,  but she doesn't act like it at all.

Actually the majority of seats won were in moderate/conservative districts so....

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Actually the majority of seats won were in moderate/conservative districts so....

I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet you that every single seat that flipped from R to D was a district which voted R in the previous election. 

:) 

6 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

You probably missed the part where this was clarified and discussed.  Progressives like AOC backed her for speaker while some moderates swore pledges not to if elected.

https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_candidates_opposing_Nancy_Pelosi_for_Speaker_of_the_House,_2018

@PleaseBlitz is right that it's hard to find who wanted to run against her for Speaker because the names that did come up, like Fudge, were given jobs to shut them up or "talked out of it".

6 hours ago, Larry said:

I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet you that every single seat that flipped from R to D was a district which voted R in the previous election. 

Like moderates were only people that voted for them...sure...

7 hours ago, Larry said:

But they were flipped by Democrats that are moderates.

There is no case where the likes of the AOC took on and beat an incumbent Republican.

(Now, certainly that would be hard for the likes of AOC to do because in such a district they'd be unlikely to even win the Democratic nomination.

But the point still stands.)

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Like that statement has anything to do with my post.  

When 70% of the country supports MFA and 85% of Democrates, it makes me question the straight line between moderate and progressive voters versus moderate and progressive candidates. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most-americans-now-support-medicare-for-all-and-free-college-tuition.html

People like Pelosi keep saying we have to stay moderate to win elections, well that failed in 2016 alienating the progressive wing of the party.  You had a lot of people winning local elections on local issues n 2018, especially in places like Virginia.  I'm nervous about trying another "look how bad Trump is campign" versus being clear about the plan and aligning with what people actually want.  

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

(Now, certainly that would be hard for the likes of AOC to do because in such a district they'd be unlikely to even win the Democratic nomination.

But the point still stands.)

And my point was that the statement that all the seats that flipped were districts with a conservative lean doesn't really prove much, since in order for the Dems to pick up a seat that used to be Republican, the district has to be "used to be Republican".  

And the point still stands.  :) 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And my point was that the statement that all the seats that flipped were districts with a conservative lean doesn't really prove much, since in order for the Dems to pick up a seat that used to be Republican, the district has to be "used to be Republican".  

And the point still stands.  :) 

It is an indication that if the Democrats want a the Speaker of the House to be a Democrat (in this case Pelosi), they need to pick up seats in right leaning districts and support therefore support Democratic candidates that can win in those places.

(Which aren't likely to be AOC-level liberal.)

Which was the whole point of the post you initially responded to.  The Democrats did not re-take the House because and allow Pelosi to become speaker because AOC-like candidates went into districts with Republican representatives and beat them.

(I'm not sure if you really don't understand the point or this is just a Larry moment.)

( @twa tends to over state the causes  of the demise of the Blue Dog Democrat in terms of the role of the Democratic party, but there is also still somewhat of a point he makes there.)

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

When 70% of the country supports MFA and 85% of Democrates, it makes me question the straight line between moderate and progressive voters versus moderate and progressive candidates. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most-americans-now-support-medicare-for-all-and-free-college-tuition.html

People like Pelosi keep saying we have to stay moderate to win elections, well that failed in 2016 alienating the progressive wing of the party.  You had a lot of people winning local elections on local issues n 2018, especially in places like Virginia.  I'm nervous about trying another "look how bad Trump is campign" versus being clear about the plan and aligning with what people actually want.  

A lot of the responses to this and those congresswomen comes from 40+ years of fear of the right and being told what’s good for the top is good for us all. A lot of people are shook.

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

This whole group has been absolutely silent since pretty much after the debate.  Not a good sign for those who want a democrat in office in 2020.

Could be a strategic decision knowing that any statement they make about anything is going to picked apart in the various media...…..which is kind of opposite of Trump's "there is no such thing as bad publicity" mentality.  Obviously, the field will get narrowed down and there will be a clear choice to go against President Trump next year. 

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

This whole group has been absolutely silent since pretty much after the debate.  Not a good sign for those who want a democrat in office in 2020.

Not true. Liz has been pumping out policy proposals since the debate. She's came out with a plant to boost wages and open up career advancement for women of color, a plan to transition from to clean energy and fight climate change, and she came out with an immigration plan last Thursday.

41 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Not true. Liz has been pumping out policy proposals since the debate. She's came out with a plant to boost wages and open up career advancement for women of color, a plan to transition from to clean energy and fight climate change, and she came out with an immigration plan last Thursday.

Trump is doing his usual act of sucking all the attention oxygen in the room. 

All signs point to the Democrats nominating someone with strong policy credentials, who will be focused on sensible issues. You may or may not agree with their solutions, but at least they will initiate debate on what actually matters And all Trump will have to do is say something more loony and insane than his previous act of insanity, and that will take up all the finite attention and resources of media coverage. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

A House election is VERY different than a national election.  I'm not familiar with Pelosi saying "we have to stay moderate to win elections," certainly not on an individual district basis.  Certainly her responsibility is to help win as many districts as possible, and the ones in play are moderate ones, not far left ones that are already in the bag.  The seats that need to be protected or targeted are the ones listed here:  https://cookpolitical.com/ratings/house-race-ratings.  Note that AOC is not on the list.  

Pelosi's strategy was a huge winner in 2018.  As Speaker, she's not responsible for beating Trump, she's responsible for holding the House.  

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A House election is VERY different than a national election.  I'm not familiar with Pelosi saying "we have to stay moderate to win elections," certainly not on an individual district basis.  Certainly her responsibility is to help win as many districts as possible, and the ones in play are moderate ones, not far left ones that are already in the bag.  The seats that need to be protected or targeted are the ones listed here:  https://cookpolitical.com/ratings/house-race-ratings.  Note that AOC is not on the list.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/04/us/politics/nancy-pelosi.html

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Pelosi's strategy was a huge winner in 2018.  As Speaker, she's not responsible for beating Trump, she's responsible for holding the House.  

That's what I'm saying, that may work in midterm but not a general.  Dems only control one part of one branch of government, they are face of the resistance.  It's the fundamental problem with your suggested plan, it doesnt match the severity of the situations we are facing like climate change, saying no to green deal doesnt take that seriously when the base absolutely does.

If minorities aren't motivated to come out and vote in the general in record numbers, then I don't know. 

The Dem "Machine" has all the tools they need to reach these Americans who Trump, and Barr and the GOP are basically calling UnAmerican. You know some states are already making harder in certain areas to vote with the time polls are open and investing in machines that will work. If the message isn't to line up the night before and refuse to leave until you've voted. Then the message has failed.

Archived