Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

On 5/12/2019 at 9:36 AM, Simmsy said:

We need baby boomers to die and and we need rural America to gain some culture.

People of "culture" tend to stay away from rural middle America and I don't blame them. There is nothing there for people like me or anyone else who isn't a white male...

These statements are said in 100% ignorance from a really narrow pov.

The ignorant in rural America obviously think the exact same thing about urban areas or city-folk.

You're really limiting yourself if you let politics dictate what culture means. 

7 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Have you heard of the southern strategy?

https://medium.com/@rogers.carson5/the-right-wings-toxic-history-of-identity-politics-df4ab52472c

"The torch of the Southern Strategy was picked up by Richard Nixon in the next election of ‘68. While Goldwater was considered too extreme by the majority of the country, Nixon used white identity politics in a more inconspicuous way. White House Chief of Staff H.R. Haldeman had noted that Nixon “emphasized that you have to face the fact that the whole problem is really the blacks. The key is to devise a system that recognized this while not appearing to.” This was the tactic of coded racism that drove white identity politics in the modern era."

Missed this? "That saddest part is it works."

This whole squabbling for TV/media coverage comes off a bit silly when there is what...25 folks running for President?  At this point no one is going to get "the right" amount of media play for the time being until the debates start and everyone is standing on the same stage in front of the same cameras.  Once the field is trimmed down it will be easier to cover each person. 

16 hours ago, nonniey said:

Following up..... Like I said Trump is too much like a Democrat for my taste.

https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2019/05/12/the-lefts-obsession-with-race-n2546188

There is one party that attracts a broad base of voters which includes whites, minorities, people of different sexual orientations, people from different religions. Fairly heterogeneous, broad coalition.

Then there is one party that is pretty much exclusively white and Christian.

And your dumb ****ing point is that Trump and the modern GOP are too much like Democrats, who attract a broad coalition of voters. Just stupid, it's just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

These statements are said in 100% ignorance from a really narrow pov.

The ignorant in rural America obviously think the exact same thing about urban areas or city-folk.

You're really limiting yourself if you let politics dictate what culture means. 

No, if you want a progressive country, these two things need to happen. Baby boomers were the largest voting block for years, in the last midterm the youth vote jumped 80% from the 2014 midterm. Baby boomers overwhelmingly lean to the right. They don't believe in gun control, climate change, abortion, immigration, race/sexual orientation equality, health care, welfare, etc. The majority of the country does, boomers aren't the only thing, but they're a big reason for holding this country back from where it wants to go. I understand, they vote for what affects them, but I think its time for them to move aside and let the younger people have a chance. We've seen what boomers can and will do.

Didn't think I would have to argue the semantics of the word culture, I thought I came off clear enough. People in small towns, surrounded by people who look, talk and think all the same need culture. How can you see something through someone else's eyes when you don't see that person? I can't tell you how many people I've heard say " I don't like *this kind of person*", only to meet that kind of person and have their mind changed. These people learn about people different from them from Fox News. The people who have diseases, are terrorists, criminals, rapists, lazy, etc.

So no, these aren't ignorant or narrow statements...callous and indelicate? Sure.

It can't be pointed out enough that, following from Nixon's southern strategy, this kind of racism become a non-negotiable component of GOP strategizing.

Lee A****er, a colleague and close friend of dictator-humper Paul Manafort, and key figure in the ascendancy of Saint Reagan and Pappy Bush, got real about the conscious manipulation of racial sentiment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/opinion/impossible-ridiculous-repugnant.html

The fact that Democrats refuse to be *silent* about racial difference and that this difference makes some white people uncomfortable (and some of them even go so far as to characterize that reality as "divisive") is an ENTIRE MORAL AND POLITICAL UNIVERSE AWAY from what A****er and the GOP have done.

Don't. Get. It. Twisted.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

No, if you want a progressive country, these two things need to happen. Baby boomers were the largest voting block for years, in the last midterm the youth vote jumped 80% from the 2014 midterm. Baby boomers overwhelmingly lean to the right. They don't believe in gun control, climate change, abortion, immigration, race/sexual orientation equality, health care, welfare, etc. The majority of the country does.

I'd generally warn about relying on continued liberalness of young voters.  Multiple polls over time have shown today's young voters are not more liberal than their baby boomer counter parts were when they were young and as voters age, they tend to become more conservative.

The same trend seems to be on going.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/24/democrats-losing-millennial-vote-change-message

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2019/03/27/millennials-pay-big-government/3276152002/

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Didn't think I would have to argue the semantics of the word culture, I thought I came off clear enough. People in small towns, surrounded by people who look, talk and think all the same need culture.

So no, these aren't ignorant or narrow statements...callous and indelicate? Sure.

Well for one, how do you know what small or rural communities are like? You see no irony in belittling others for watching Fox News and simultaneously basing your views off of Fox News?

Two obviously there's southern culture, rural culture, bible belt, frontier, cowboy culture, farming culture etc etc etc. Why would you consider certain cultures as real and dismiss others if you weren't speaking from ignorance?

If you were being Callous you would've jusr said rural culture sucks; not that it doesn't exist.

16 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Well for one, how do you know what small or rural communities are like? You see no irony in belittling others for watching Fox News and simultaneously basing your views off of Fox News?

Two obviously there's southern culture, rural culture, bible belt, frontier, cowboy culture, farming culture etc etc etc. Why would you consider certain cultures as real and dismiss others if you weren't speaking from ignorance?

If you were being Callous you would've jusr said rural culture sucks; not that it doesn't exist.

Sounds more like a demographic to me, almost all of those "cultures" are the same thing: christian, white people. You think throwing in a cow or a tractor into the mix makes them significantly different? I will be 35 Sunday, I moved about 18 months ago, but before that, my entire life was spent in a rural, farmland town. I was one of four black kids in my graduating class, I passed cow fields on the way to school, kids would drive tractors to school, plenty of confederate flags, cowboy hats and kids taking a week off for hunting season. I've seen this "culture", I've lived it, I'm not impressed. It is not very welcoming of "others".

I'm not saying they're inherently bad people, but when you get your news from Fox, you're being misinformed. Oh yeah, you know how I know they get it from Fox? They proudly tell me, there is no guessing here.

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I've seen this "culture", I've lived it, I'm not impressed. It is not very welcoming of "others".

Well your anecdotal evidence differs from mine.

Let's say you grew up in a rural community with more then 4 black people, like SC or Missouri for example. Is southern Black culture all the same too? Gullah people don't exist? Are they part of "culture" or real culture? All Black Christain communities are the same too? How about Hispanic rural communities? Guys sporting cowboy hats and leather boots in New Mexico... do they have culture or is that "culture?"

I'm not going to keep doing this so you can take one sentence out of my response, ignore the rest and force this "debate" to go around in this never ending circle of you arguing semantics. Point of the matter is, you're not going to reach rural GOP voters because they only care about themselves. They do not care about what is fair for others because there are no others. They don't have to fight for the equality of race, religion or sexuality, so in their mind "why should they?". Fox News says global warming doesn't exist, so why do anything to fix it? Immigrants are coming to rape and murder your daughters, so its ok to do ANYTHING to stop them, they deserve what happens. One side wants equality for all, the other equality for one. Seems pretty simple to understand.

5 hours ago, nonniey said:

Not the best country in the world for quality of life but I would still say quality of life is pretty damn good likely in the top 5-10% of the worlds population.

I actually said " But not so good on quality of life if you are not in the top, say 20%, economically" which you quoted as " But not so good on quality of life ..." 🤣

And looking at the quality of life of the world's population as a whole is hardly an admirable standard. If the USA cannot deliver an equal or better standard of living for most of its population than other western democracies, it is some way off being the greatest nation.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

I actually said " But not so good on quality of life if you are not in the top, say 20%, economically" which you quoted as " But not so good on quality of life ..." 🤣

And looking at the quality of life of the world's population as a whole is hardly an admirable standard. If the USA cannot deliver an equal or better standard of living for most of its population than other western democracies, it is some way off being the greatest nation.

Intent of that statement was that the US population in general's (likely 90% plus)  quality of life was in the top 5-10%.  That said of the 16 states ranked higher in quality of life, I don't think their combined populations reach the total US population (I know the top 10 don't reach 50%).  Smaller populations are easier to manage and provide for,  especially when they can focus a larger proportion of their treasure on standard of living issues than the US can - due to the US providing most of their security.  

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hell I'm white and I absolutely loathe rural whites or as I call them, hateful ignorant white trash. America would be 1000x better if they weren't allowed to vote, or breed for that matter.

Oh just round them up and send them to camps, why don't you? I guess one thing you have established is you're white, definitely hateful, almost certainly ignorant question is would that make you trash as well?

33 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Oh just round them up and send them to camps, why don't you? I guess one thing you have established is you're white, definitely hateful, almost certainly ignorant question is would hat make you trash as well?

Isn't that what these white people want to do to people of color, homosexuals, Jews and Muslims, and any humans other than themselves? 

10 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Isn't that what these white people want to do to people of color, homosexuals, Jews and Muslims, and any humans other than themselves? 

What all rural white people, do you think that too? Seriously?

8 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I don't think the hate is exclusive to rural folk.

It's also certainly not all white Christian conservatives. Though it seems to be far more than anyone should be comfortable with. 

2 hours ago, visionary said:

New Hampshire?? Those are probably all rural white people -hateful, ignorant trash. Shouldn't be allowed to vote (according to some on this very page. Heck one of them want's most of those in that photo dead).

1 minute ago, clietas said:

I don't think the hate is exclusive to rural folk.

It's also certainly not all white Christian conservatives. Though it seems to be far more than anyone should be comfortable with. 

Don't you think it is bit ironic that at least two posters in this thread today were themselves spouting hateful, ignorant rhetoric in an attempt to characterize a broad group as hateful and ignorant?

7 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Don't you think it is bit ironic that at least two posters in this thread today were themselves spouting hateful, ignorant rhetoric in an attempt to characterize a broad group as hateful and ignorant?

Oh I find it quite scary actually. Civil war 2 seems to be on the horizon. The blame is clearly on one side for it. Republicans have been stoking this fire for decades.

I find it funny that the left's disdain for hateful and ignorant republicans actually makes them the ignorant and hateful ones. Sorry, not buying it. What are we supposed to do, cheer on their bigotry or just ignore it?

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Belonging to two of these groups, females and homosexual, means that I would be subject to be thrown into a camp. Thank goodness I can't bear children anymore due to sterialization. 

Trump and his minions are overtly pitting white people (mostly males and heterosexual) against everyone else. It's Nixon's White Doctrine out in the open. I am now back in the closet living in Texas, and glad I am white and not a person of color. 

This white supremacy stuff is sick and disgusting. The Republicans buy this and unless people who don't agree with this leave this party, they are tarred with the same brush. Own it, because you are buying it.

Archived