Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

This fascinating article talks about Gary Hart and the alleged setup that took him down. He was the likely Democrat nom and probably would have beaten HW in 88. It probably would have meant no Bubba or Dubya in the proceeding elections too. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/was-gary-hart-set-up/570802/

Was Gary Hart Set Up?

What are we to make of the deathbed confession of the political operative Lee A****er, newly revealed, that he staged the events that brought down the Democratic candidate in 1987?

5 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Trump isn’t going to be on the ballot in 2020. Pence might. Cruz or Kasich more likely than both of them imo.

That’s my ES prediction, looking forward to  my “told ya” post in 18 months. 

Are you assuming Trump is rendered ineligible for office within 2 years?

16 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Trump isn’t going to be on the ballot in 2020. Pence might. Cruz or Kasich more likely than both of them imo.

That’s my ES prediction, looking forward to  my “told ya” post in 18 months. 

Impeached? Resignation?  Decides not to run? Jailed? Assassinated?  Dies by other means?

Mueller will not indict him. Will probably just issue a report and send it to congress. That's assuming it even gets that far.  Odds are strong, Trump fires Mueller after the election; before the Dems take over.   Even if he's impeached, he will not be removed from office.  Actually, impeaching him; probably solidifies his support even more in the GOP.  

You say Trump will not be on the ballot but you aren't saying how?    It's possible you are dead on with your prediction but I don't see it.

Honestly, I can see Trump trying to find ways to not even have an election in 2020 and for him to become president for life.

18 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Are you assuming Trump is rendered ineligible for office within 2 years?

Some of this may be wishful thinking but I can see it being plausible. Next couple months will play out like this: 

-GOP is crushed on Tuesday, instilling doubts among party leaders and donors about how long they can continue to ride with Trump 

-Mueller details Trump’s numerous felonies in reports to Congress

-Dem House overwhelmingly votes to impeach 

The next step is pretty uncertain to me... after Kavanaugh I have no illusions of the GOP doing the right thing, ever. Any moves they make would be 100% self serving. 

But with a Dem House and zero chance of passing conservative legislation before 2020, I can legitimately see party leadership choosing to abandon Trump and agreeing to impeach. Or at the very least, getting a guarantee that he won’t run in 2020 in exchange for letting him remain in office. Either way, after Tuesday I don’t see GOP leadership willing to go into 2020 with Trump at the top of the ticket. There would be too much at stake with foregone conclusions. 

35 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Some of this may be wishful thinking but I can see it being plausible. Next couple months will play out like this: 

-GOP is crushed on Tuesday, instilling doubts among party leaders and donors about how long they can continue to ride with Trump 

-Mueller details Trump’s numerous felonies in reports to Congress

-Dem House overwhelmingly votes to impeach 

The next step is pretty uncertain to me... after Kavanaugh I have no illusions of the GOP doing the right thing, ever. Any moves they make would be 100% self serving. 

But with a Dem House and zero chance of passing conservative legislation before 2020, I can legitimately see party leadership choosing to abandon Trump and agreeing to impeach. Or at the very least, getting a guarantee that he won’t run in 2020 in exchange for letting him remain in office. Either way, after Tuesday I don’t see GOP leadership willing to go into 2020 with Trump at the top of the ticket. There would be too much at stake with foregone conclusions. 

Interesting proposition, except there's one hitch. The GOP voter loves Trump. He has 80 to 90 percent approval among the GOP voters. They will not support anyone running against Trump or people that force Trump out. The GOP Congress critters would lose support in 2020. Those leaders value getting reelected and trust me, they won't if the don't support Trump 100%.  Only way GOP does something like you suggest , is if Trump loses support among his voters.

Whatever crimes Mueller uncovers, the GOP will have no problem and it fact, will say it was justified to stop Hillary from being President.

33 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah that's where I'm at. Trump's support is too high among Republicans for anyone else to win the primary. The only way he isn't running in 2020 is if he's incarcerated or the GOP cuts him some kind of deal to stay away. 

You're assuming that he doesn't run if he's in jail.  :) 

In the 2020 primary the Dems need to do what they did in 2008 and let whatever happens....happen.  If an establishment candidate like Biden wins via kosher methods then fine, people will fall in line, but if another "Obama" comes along and captures the hearts & minds, but seemingly gets stifled in the process, then it is going to be 2016 all over again.

I think it is more likely that Trump is prevented from running by either a health issue or just says **** it I can keep the attention without having the inconvenience of the actual job (and he is afraid of losing because of his glass ego), rather than him being in any kind of legal trouble or ousted from office politically.  

On the Dem side, my big fear is that 7-10 great candidates split 80% of the vote, and one awful candidate retains 20% support throughout and rides that to victory.  Yall know who I'm talking about. 

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Oprah?

Kanye 

7 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah that's where I'm at. Trump's support is too high among Republicans for anyone else to win the primary. The only way he isn't running in 2020 is if he's incarcerated or the GOP cuts him some kind of deal to stay away. 

Trump’s approval rate is high because the GOP has built in propaganda controls to ensure their messaging is consistent. That’s why you didn’t see any defections with Kavanaugh even after the awful performance at the hearings. 

Now... if someone was to decide that Trump was too much of an anchor for their 2020 chances and turned the propaganda machine against him? Fox could sell their base on the benefits of moving on to Pence and it really wouldn’t be that hard. 

Archived