Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Joe Biden was a freshman senator, the youngest member of the august body, when he reached out to an older colleague for help on one of his early legislative proposals: The courts were ordering racially segregated school districts to bus children to create more integrated classrooms, a practice Biden opposed and wanted to change.

“I want you to know that I very much appreciate your help during this week’s Committee meeting in attempting to bring my antibusing legislation to a vote,” Biden wrote on June 30, 1977.

The recipient of Biden’s entreaty was Sen. James O. Eastland, at the time a well-known segregationist who had called blacks “an inferior race” and once vowed to prevent blacks and whites from eating together in Washington. The exchange, revealed in a series of letters, offers a new glimpse into an old relationship that erupted this week as a major controversy for Biden’s presidential campaign.

Biden on Wednesday night described his relationship with Eastland as one he “had to put up with.” He said of his relationships with Eastland and another staunch segregationist and southern Democrat, Sen. Herman Talmadge of Georgia, that “the fact of the matter is that we were able to do it because we were able to win — we were able to beat them on everything they stood for.”

But the letters show a different type of relationship, one in which they were aligned on a legislative issue. Biden said at the time that he did not think that busing was the best way to integrate schools in Delaware and that systemic racism should be dealt with by investing in schools and improving housing policies.

The letters were provided Thursday to The Washington Post by the University of Mississippi, which houses Eastland’s archived papers. They were reported in April by CNN.

He brought this on himself. Had he heeded his teams advice and not name-dropped segregationists to point out how he can work across the aisle, there wouldn't be this problem.

This will blow over though. It probably has the attention span of less than a week.

It'll be extra hilarious when he names Booker as his running mate. 😁

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The fact that he is gay is not a problem for for-real Dems.

Just wanted to say - If you think that there is not one single Dem voter who has a problem with gays, you're as delusional as a Trump voter.  

Yes, the majority of Dem voters eventually came around to things like supporting legalization of gay marriage.  (Although I'd assert that many of them didn't come to that position until after the GOp spent a decade making apartheid against gays a signature issue, and the primary get out the vote issue, of their party.)  But heck, I guarantee you that 100% of Dems don't even support that.  (I suspect it's probably a pretty big majority, now, though.)  

I think, as we've seen with blacks, discrimination can be a really subtle thing, and can affect people who believe that they don;t have it.  (I know for a fact that I do.  At least in some ways.)  I'd assert that, while very few people in the US burn crosses or attend Klan meetings, that the relative pay of blacks and whites says that there's still a lot of discrimination going on in this country, from people who don;t think they're discriminating.  

And I don't see any reason at all to assume that gays are subject to less discrimination in this country than blacks are.  

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If your standard is “one single Dem voter” you got me there.  You could say the same thing if i said Dem voters arent murderers. 

In African American churches, whose members are also largely Democrats, homosexuality is still a pretty big deal.

Prop 8 in CA passed heavily due to African American Obama voters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2013/03/26/how-proposition-8-passed-in-california-and-why-it-wouldnt-today/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.58fcaa219bde

The situation is changing pretty quickly, but there still are elements out there of it yet.

(And I suspect that things are not as changing as quickly in more rural and southern African American churches as they are in CA.)

I think we're going to see Buttigieg struggle with African Americans (and Hispanics), especially across the south.

That African American / homosexuality thing gets way deep. No way are we "over it" as a people yet. I would bet just out of personal experience that we are probably behind the curve on that still. 

And its wild too. Because, solidarity is a thing and how you rise up. They dont hear me tho (talking about talking to my friends) 

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

In African American churches, whose members are also largely Democrats, homosexuality is still a pretty big deal.

Prop 8 in CA passed heavily due to African American Obama voters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2013/03/26/how-proposition-8-passed-in-california-and-why-it-wouldnt-today/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.58fcaa219bde

The situation is changing pretty quickly, but there still are elements out there of it yet.

(And I suspect that things are not as changing as quickly in more rural and southern African American churches as they are in CA.)

I think we're going to see Buttigieg struggle with African Americans (and Hispanics), especially across the south.

First, prop 8 did not pass because of black voters. People wanted it to be that way because it was easier to blame black people (as is the case in most things with America):

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stop-blaming-californias_b_142018

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2009/01/prop-8-and-blaming-the-blacks/6548/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/prop-8-myths/

Second, Buttigeg's issue in the black community isn't that he is gay. Its that his campaign has barely done any outreach to black voters except eating at Slyvia's in Harlem with Al Sharpton. His campaign has catered to affluent white liberal voters.

Lastly, um Buttigieg has a shaky record on race issues in South Bend. 

I think Buttigieg being gay would def hurt him on a national stage but blaming black voters for it is something that needs to be stopped. America is still a very homophobic country. 

Also another interesting thing, Buttigieg is Maltese. His last name was anglicized from the Arabic word أبو الدجاج (Abu d-dajāj)j, meaning chicken owner.

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also another interesting thing, Buttigieg is Maltese. His last name was anglicized from the Arabic word أبو الدجاج (Abu d-dajāj)j, meaning chicken owner.

I mean, he's not actually Maltese, he's Indianian.  Why is that interesting?  :ols:

I'm sick of Democrats eating their own just to save face? Biden should step out of the running? Ok, what is the reason this week? If there is one thing I wish the Democrats could learn from the GOP, it would to let crap like this go. Hell, I'm not even a Biden fan...

6 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I'm sick of Democrats eating their own just to save face? Biden should step out of the running? Ok, what is the reason this week? If there is one thing I wish the Democrats could learn from the GOP, it would to let crap like this go. Hell, I'm not even a Biden fan...

They can't let it go since they traffic in that bs.

if Biden was already the nominee that is one thing, but this is still the primary, relatively early in the process.  Things like this are what sometimes knock people out or at least hurt overall support.  I am not suggesting at all he should drop out over this, but I also am fine with these kinds of things being brought up and expecting Biden to have logical responses.  

53 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

They let it go for our governor here in VA. Which I'm glad they did. 

Only because the alternative was so bad......Biden doesn't have that luxury  :ols:

On the whole issue of "democrats eating their own" I know that narrative is strong right now, but lets be realistic, this is the primary season. This is when you are supposed to be explaining to the public why you are the best candidate, and yes that includes giving examples of why other nominees aren't.

Did people already forget the 2016 GOP primary? Do you remember any of them holding back on each other?  

The major difference is once the GOP had a nominee, the party and base fell in line.  That is what the Dems need to work on. 

Archived