Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

I think Kasich AND Sanders could run as third party candidates under 3 realities.

1- They have to accept and their supporters must acknowledge that they cannot win.  They should not be the goal.

2- They must BOTH run til the end.  They cannot drop out at the end and support the closest major party candidate.

3- They must start new parties.  Any attempt to use existing structures would only destroy their ability to run the way they need to run.

Maybe Sanders isnt the right person.  Maybe it would be better to find a red state moderate.  IDK.  But the overall vision needs to be A- Damage the two party stranglehold.  B- Give voters TWO other options.

If done right, they could even get some down ballot folks to join their "parties". 

18 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd really hope Sanders is smart enough to know that a 3rd party run would put Trump back into office again.

That's the problem.  Everyone is for something other than the D or R as long as that option only hurts the D or R they dont like.

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

That's the problem.  Everyone is for something other than the D or R as long as that option only hurts the D or R they dont like.

I'm not. Im perfectly fine with the two parties, despite one of them embracing a very dark hateful message these days. I have faith that eventually they will have to come back to the center to survive long term.

I'd also like to think that Sanders is smart enough to know how much he fractured the D vote in 2016 and he wouldn't do it again in 2020. 

35 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not. Im perfectly fine with the two parties, despite one of them embracing a very dark hateful message these days. I have faith that eventually they will have to come back to the center to survive long term.

I'd also like to think that Sanders is smart enough to know how much he fractured the D vote in 2016 and he wouldn't do it again in 2020. 

We will see a continuing trend of more and more extreme candidates and behaviors.  The system promotes that.

The thing about a third party/Independent run or even a 4th party/Independent run; neither has a realistic shot of winning in 2020.   Even though Independents are growing; everything still falls among the usual Democrat- Republican lines.  We're probably a few elections away before you can have a viable third party; assuming the 2 main parties don't come to their senses.

The Dems you can see become the progressive party, the base supports. Once the baby boomers are booted from power; that's the direction the Democratic party will go.

The GOP is corrupt to it's core and can't be redeemed.  It will eventually be replaced, though by what; is yet to be determined.

For 2020, a third party candidate that has the support like Ross Perot did in 1992; probably tips the election one way or the other.   Bernie runs and that probably tips the election to Trump. Kasich runs and that may tip the election to the Democratic candidate.  I can't see either one, winning as a third candidate, outright in 2020.

I do think we are heading for a political realignment in 2020's.  What we see, even 10 years from now in 2028; won't be what we are seeing today in 2018.

46 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The thing about a third party/Independent run or even a 4th party/Independent run; neither has a realistic shot of winning in 2020.   Even though Independents are growing; everything still falls among the usual Democrat- Republican lines.  We're probably a few elections away before you can have a viable third party; assuming the 2 main parties don't come to their senses.

The Dems you can see become the progressive party, the base supports. Once the baby boomers are booted from power; that's the direction the Democratic party will go.

The GOP is corrupt to it's core and can't be redeemed.  It will eventually be replaced, though by what; is yet to be determined.

For 2020, a third party candidate that has the support like Ross Perot did in 1992; probably tips the election one way or the other.   Bernie runs and that probably tips the election to Trump. Kasich runs and that may tip the election to the Democratic candidate.  I can't see either one, winning as a third candidate, outright in 2020.

I do think we are heading for a political realignment in 2020's.  What we see, even 10 years from now in 2028; won't be what we are seeing today in 2018.

Which is why it's crucial that TWO realistic independents run.  One from each side of the spectrum.  Neither will win, but again, that cant be the goal in 2020.

Sorry, but I really believe that, if you want a third party to lead a revolution in American politics, what your third party has to do is:  

1)  Ignore the Presidency.

2)  Spend the money and effort that you would have spent on the Presidency, in one or two congressional districts.  (Maybe a Senate seat, for a low-pop state).  

Maybe I'm just being delusional, but I would think that they might have a chance of winning a district or two.  And I think we've seen that one or two people, especially in the Senate, would give the third party a lot of influence.  There's a lot of issues where those votes are really close.  And the fact that those candidates are independent would give those votes media coverage that would be disproportionate to their numbers.  I could see a lot of coverage of a lot of issues following the pattern of "The Democrats are going to vote this way, and the R's will vote this way, and the independant is leaning towards this way.  (There might be 51 of one party, and 47 of the other, but the two independents will get as much coverage as the two major parties.  

I also think that, by running in a smaller district, a third party might be able to overcome some of the huge advantages that our system gives to the major parties.  Maybe in a small district, the third party can find some local hero who's name might not help him mush, nationally, but it might be a huge advantage in that one district.  (Pick some college football coach, or a local builder, or something.)  

I'd like to see something along the lines of a third party that was based on rational pragmaticism, doesn't run a candidate for Pres but throws its support behind whoever has the best/ most realistically feasible platform(s). Draw in sane centrists poorly represented by either side, form a voting bloc to throw weight behind candidates from either major party that earn their votes. Register as independent but recognize the reality that a third party Pres is simply not gonna happen, so rather than draining off votes and enabling by default, coalesce into an active organization that can have an effect. Margins are so thin in so many places that a coordinated effort at common sense could make a difference. Plus you avoid all the high costs of buying airtime.

Flake is going nowhere.

In 2020, the GOP will still get the die hard Trump supporters and the always vote straight GOPers like TWA.  Noone is going to prevent Trump from winning the nomination.  Not even an indictment from Mueller.

Also, people are making a big deal about Trump naming a campaign manager.   Trump filed for reelection on the day he was inaugurated; so you knew he was running for reelection. True, he did it then; so he can raise money but he announced his intentions then.  

How Trump Wins Reelection

>>>Trump’s most obvious strength heading toward 2020 is the enduring and enthusiastic support of his base. “I would say the most distinctive thing about him other than his obnoxiousness is that his followers aren’t a base,” Sabato said. “They’re a cult. This is a cult. They’ve ceded their independent thinking to this man. This is the most intense cult that I can remember in American politics.” Though their intensity might not be apparent in this fall’s midterm elections, because Trump isn’t on the ballot, they’ll likely show up in massive numbers to support Trump’s reelection in 2020. “If Trump isn’t removed from office and doesn’t lead the country into some form of global catastrophe, he could secure a second term simply by maintaining his current level of support with his political base,” Democratic strategist Doug Sosnik wrote in The Washington Post in October. “Since Trump’s inaugural address, his focus has been on maintaining his support among this loyal base rather than expanding it. As counterintuitive as it may seem, this could be a winning political strategy.”

Sosnik argued that Trump can’t win a two-person race with this strategy, but wrote that the president might have another pathway: “The lack of voters’ faith in both parties increases the probability that there will be a major third-party candidate on the 2020 ballot. It will also lead to other minor-party candidates joining the presidential race. The multi-candidate field will further divide the anti-Trump vote, making it possible for him to get reelected simply by holding on to his current level of support.”<<<

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

But Flake and others can beat on Asshole during primary season and maybe sway some independents away from him. Plus it would keep Asshole's attention span occupied and away from Democrats.

No they can't.  Noone is going to beat Donald Trump in a Republican primary in 2020.

Not Flake, Not Corker, Not Kasich, Not even a resurrected Jesus Christ.  Trump will be the GOP nominee.   IF the economy is humming along, people feel that they have more $$$$$ in their wallets and people feel that jobs are available; Trump is going to be very hard to beat in 2020.   It's very rare to beat a President during good times.  So if things are good in 2020, it will have to take some extraordinary event to prevent a Trump reelection.  IE, ironclad proof Trump is a Russian agent; where even his cult couldn't support him.

Also, one thing about a three way race or race where the minor parties can win a noticeable share of the vote;  the anti-Trump vote could be so divided, Trump wins with just his base support and the straight GOP only vote. 

Trump can lose the popular vote by even a bigger margin and still win the Electoral College.  Don't assume that, Trump is a lock to lose.  Even if the Dems win big in 18; don't assume Trump loses in 2020.    Dems lost big in 2010 and Obama  was reelected in 2012. 

You have to go into 2020 like it's an uphill battle because it really is.  

I don't expecting any other Republican will defeat Asshole in the primary. My hope is that other candidates can fire some salvos that damage him with the independents that voted for him the last time. 

I want his cult minions to be distilled into a very small number. It might not fully happen this year, but by 2020 his base will not be doing as well. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Candidates like Kasich thinking about challenging him the GOP primary, are deluding themselves.

I would totally support him, probably would get more active than ever for him or that Evan McMullen (or whatever his name is) guy.  Without having done a ton of research, they both seem to me to be conservatives that aren't crazy and don't mind calling out the current GOP.  That and I will once again be taking a good look at the Libertarian candidates.  Some of them I have liked, though I wasn't thrilled with their recent POTUS ticket.  The guy they had as VP candidate seemed better suited to head the ticket.

Archived