Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I kind of feel like a Kamala Harris type is one that will excel against Trump.  Not saying it will be her specifically, but she has a way about her where she is able to sound stern and resolute without insults.  She also has the experience to refute Trump on his nonsense.   I feel like certain candidates their only choice when trying to "sound tough" will be getting down into the gutter with Trump.

Still say it is way too early to make any grand proclamations about who the best candidate is though.

Yeah, I thought that about some of the GOP (and Hillary)  he blew through as well.

Kinda impressive even while disgusting.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Yeah, I thought that about some of the GOP (and Hillary)  he blew through as well.

Kinda impressive even while disgusting.

As sad as it sounds, it is extremely hard to debate someone who doesn't deal in reality.  You spend so much of your own time almost in shock & awe of the things the other person is saying, and you end up feeling the need to give long drawn out explanations.   Whoever is debating him will have to come up with more quick and snappy replies. 

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As sad as it sounds, it is extremely hard to debate someone who doesn't deal in reality.  You spend so much of your own time almost in shock & awe of the things the other person is saying, and you end up feeling the need to give long drawn out explanations.   Whoever is debating him will have to come up with more quick and snappy replies. 

This is why Uncle Joe needs to run.  He can make stuff up but also claim he learned it while VP.  

"Donald I remember during my time as VP being briefed on some of your personal matters in connection with an investigation.  I recall that your net worth was roughly $4.37, your sons Eric and Don Jr are involved in an incestuous, homosexual relationship, Ivanka has had 3 abortions, and you voted for Obama in 2012, AND Hillary in 2008."

Sit back and watch his head explode.

53 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is why Uncle Joe needs to run.  He can make stuff up but also claim he learned it while VP.  

"Donald I remember during my time as VP being briefed on some of your personal matters in connection with an investigation.  I recall that your net worth was roughly $4.37, your sons Eric and Don Jr are involved in an incestuous, homosexual relationship, Ivanka has had 3 abortions, and you voted for Obama in 2012, AND Hillary in 2008."

Sit back and watch his head explode.

That might work, on the other hand he has been rejected badly every time he ran for POTUS.

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I still think Biden/O'Rourke is the go to ticket in 2020.

I love Sanders but I just feel like he leans a little too extreme to the left for most people.

The feminists heads might explode and the Bernie bros defect.

The traditional issue with progressive candidates is foreign policy. With Trump, it is completly out the window.

I see some more noise about Schultz... did anyone ask him yet to just enter the D primary if he is so concerned with there being a centrist challenge to Trump? And ask him as a follow-up what was Hillary?

I would like Biden the best.. he knows how to get the job done... but felt same with Hillary.

https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/national/national-politics/are-democrats-dominated-left-dont-be-so-sure

Are Democrats Dominated by the Left? Don't Be So Sure.

There is some evidence that the leftward shift in the Democratic Party may not be quite as big as advertised. A Jan. 9-14 national survey by the Pew Research Center asked a sample of Democrats and independents who lean Democratic the question, “Would you like to see Democratic leaders in Washington move in a more liberal direction or a more moderate direction?” Forty percent of respondents chose the more-liberal response, 54 percent picked more moderate. If you are curious, when the parallel question was asked among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, 57 percent said they wanted GOP leaders in Washington to move in a more conservative direction, 39 percent more moderate.

My hunch is that we are seeing two other things happening. First, the single most unifying force in the Democratic Party is Trump, who is every bit as vilified among Democrats as Obama was among Republicans during his tenure in the White House. That disdain for Trump is causing a level of pragmatism that is offsetting a more broad leftward tilt in the party. A Jan. 25-27 national poll by Monmouth University, spotlighted by David Leonhardt in The New York Times this week, asked Democrats and those independents who lean Democratic, “Which type of candidate would you prefer if you had to make a choice between: a Democrat you agree with on most issues but would have a hard time beating Donald Trump or a Democrat you do NOT agree with on most issues but would be a stronger candidate against Donald Trump?”

Just 33 percent preferred a candidate that they mostly agree with but would have a more difficult time beating Trump, while a whopping 56 percent said they would go along with a candidate that they did not agree with on most issues but would be more electable. As my Cook Political Report colleague Amy Walter argues, Democrats may have preferences for their party’s nomination, but they don’t have strong attachments. Simply put, they want to win—they want Trump out of the White House and are willing to compromise a good bit to ensure that happens.

I would argue that something else may be happening as well. While yes, Ocasio-Cortez and Warren are getting a lot of coverage and have built something of a following in the Democratic Party, there is another growth sector in the party. How did Democrats win control of the House last year? Where did Democrats capture seats and who provided them their victory margins? Democrats gained previously Republican seats last year in the suburbs—for example, outside of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and the district in and around Oklahoma City. And they swept four seats in Orange County, California. It was college-educated women who turbocharged those gains. Disproportionately, many of the Democratic candidates who did well last year—winning or coming close in difficult districts—were military veterans and people from law enforcement backgrounds, particularly prosecutors. Some were no doubt liberal, but based on Republicans having previously held many of those districts, mostly not. We could throw in Kyrsten Sinema winning an open Senate seat in Arizona running a very centrist campaign.

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

...and it continues, worth reading IMO in spite of the utterly awkward forum the Twit world is for extended comment..............

I'm not sure that I disagree much with those thoughts. I'm not a Bernie guy by any means, I appreciate many of his progressive policies. Ultimately, I think he served his purpose in mainstreaming a lot of those ideas and shifting the conversation to the left so much. There are far better candidates to deliver that message in 2020. 

I agree and disagree with her.  I think what Bernie offered in 2016 was an insight and some hope that progressive ideas could be, and actually were more popular than previously thought.  I think the candidates that have already declared their intent to run, has shown that.   Bernie did something Ralph Nader was unable to do almost 20 years ago, which was pull the Democratic party away from the every rightward shifting center.  As a life-long "Democrat" who has always felt a little more left than the establishment, I can say that for 2020 at least,  Bernie the candidate specifically, doesn't feel as essential as he did in 2016.

However, where I disagree is the notion that Bernie has been running around complaining about being cheated non-stop.  If anything that has been something the right-wing has been harping on (out of their hatred of Hillary, just another way to denigrate her), and perhaps Bernie Bros will never let it go, but Bernie himself?  I don't see/hear him bringing the issue up and blaming it on anything.  He also threw his full support behind Hillary in 2016 once the primary was over.  

I am not sure what kind of "grift" she is talking about.  You can be an elected official and be anti-establishment.   "Anti-establishment" has nothing to do with how long you have been office, it has to do with what your actual policy positions are, and Bernie, for the most part has been ahead of the curve when it comes the increasingly progressive politics of the country.  If anything Bernie has been the most authentic in being a progressive and never changed his views based on poll numbers or criticism from either side of the aisle.

45 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i wonder how much of bernie's record-breaking (perhaps logic-defying?) 6 mil came from masked "conservative" sources

:huh: :evil:

Not amusing, it happens frequently

I'm in Delawhere? and most of y'all don't even remember we exist unless you're coughing up $$ at the tollbooth, but one thing that DID get a lot of attention was Christine "I am not a witch!" O'Donnell running in 2010 for the Senate seated vacated by Biden. People laughed and made jokes but rarely was it noticed what was actually going on. Castle was running for the R nomination in the primary and the local machine knew he would ****slap Coons in the election, so a ton of Dem money flowed downstate in support of the loopiest Tea party dingbat they could find, and it worked. O'Donnell was a punchline, Coons never had to break a sweat or answer a question because, well, a witch that won't masturbate? really? So we end up with Coons (whose family is Gore, ie. Goretex) married to Annie (from the Turkey Hill ice cream money) essentially skewing even the chances of the election with money all the while keeping his hands clean.

Dark money in politics is an issue across the spectrum

32 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree and disagree with her.  I think what Bernie offered in 2016 was an insight and some hope that progressive ideas could be, and actually were more popular than previously thought.  I think the candidates that have already declared their intent to run, has shown that.   Bernie did something Ralph Nader was unable to do almost 20 years ago, which was pull the Democratic party away from the every rightward shifting center.  As a life-long "Democrat" who has always felt a little more left than the establishment, I can say that for 2020 at least,  Bernie the candidate specifically, doesn't feel as essential as he did in 2016.

Totally agree that Bernie did a great service in bringing progressive ideas to the fore without the least bit of fear.  That purpose has now been served and Bernie is no longer needed.  

However, where I disagree is the notion that Bernie has been running around complaining about being cheated non-stop.  If anything that has been something the right-wing has been harping on (out of their hatred of Hillary, just another way to denigrate her), and perhaps Bernie Bros will never let it go, but Bernie himself?  I don't see/hear him bringing the issue up and blaming it on anything.  He also threw his full support behind Hillary in 2016 once the primary was over.  

I always thought Bernie's support for Hillary after he lost was tepid at best, and his followers picked up on that.  He may not have harped on being cheated, but he didn't shut that chatter down either.  

I am not sure what kind of "grift" she is talking about.  You can be an elected official and be anti-establishment.   "Anti-establishment" has nothing to do with how long you have been office, it has to do with what your actual policy positions are, and Bernie, for the most part has been ahead of the curve when it comes the increasingly progressive politics of the country.  If anything Bernie has been the most authentic in being a progressive and never changed his views based on poll numbers or criticism from either side of the aisle.

A weird and poorly written thread for sure, and not sure why I should give the author, whom I've never heard of, much benefit of the doubt here.  I think Bernie is authentic AF, I just don't like anything he is authentic about.  

Archived