Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s a very diverse, very intelligent group here.  The best place I’ve found on the web to get different viewpoints on a lot of issues.

I’m a pretty moderate guy.  I was on the record for Kasich last time around.

Trump, and really all the Fox News punditry, are obviously swine.

I call BS. If you were really for Kasich why didn't you vote for Kasich?  Why don't you tell him who you voted and why.

You see kfrankie TryTheBeal was the enthusiastic Trump voter I was referring too.  He stated he was enthusiastically  voting for Trump in the primaries in effort to sabotage the Republicans since he was their worst candidate (He got that part right imo).  He's had a hard time on this board living that down.  And no most that post here are not moderates (or maybe no longer moderates would be appropriate). Trump has driven them into the crazy wing.  

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Yes states cutting support certainly contributed to tuition increases. But are you seriously stating that was the primary driver for tuition increases?  

First, public and non-public schools are different and different things then drive the differences in increases in tuition.

But for public schools the lack of funding is part of it.  It isn't all of it, but it is part of it.

Colleges are being asked to do more (educate more people) with less money (especially when corrected for inflation) in most states.  The difference had to be raised from somewhere.  In several states, people have gone through the colleges books and per a full time student, the colleges are actually spending less money than they did 20 or 30 years ago.

That isn't the only driver of the costs going up, but it is a key important one.  Some of it is tied to health care costs.  Unlike other industries, higher education has not out sourced much of their work force so it has more born the brunt of health care costs than other industries.  And  there has been an increase in terms of just basic administration due to government regulation (e.g. Title IX, increasing complex regulations related to admission policies) and increased burdens associated with liability in more legalistic society.

But for public schools the big things are actually state aid and the number of people being educated.  For public schools, there has been nothing shown to decrease tuition and fees better than increasing (direct) state funding.

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Yes states cutting support certainly contributed to tuition increases. But are you seriously stating that was the primary driver for tuition increases?  

When did I say it was the primary driver? But it is a very important element.

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

That is Biden's base within the party. He is almost certainly going to be the nominee and it is the minority voters (who mostly aren't part of the bat chit crazy progressive wing of the Dems) that gives him the advantage. 

Yeah, he is pandering.

50 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The only platform Joe has is catering to union / working class individuals that voted in droves for Trump in 2016. He is one of them. He was raised in Scranton PA. 

If he can woo them away, that would be a really big move. 

I would vote for ANY of the 245 Democratic candidates for President (or any Republican primary challenger) over Donald Trump.  My fear, though, is that what is happening in this thread, writ large, is what will happen during the primary.  Front runners will get clawed down until another rises to the top.  Then the knives will come out for THAT one.  And so on right up to the Convention.  And a bloodied, weakened candidate will emerge.  

23 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I would vote for ANY of the 245 Democratic candidates for President (or any Republican primary challenger) over Donald Trump.  My fear, though, is that what is happening in this thread, writ large, is what will happen during the primary.  Front runners will get clawed down until another rises to the top.  Then the knives will come out for THAT one.  And so on right up to the Convention.  And a bloodied, weakened candidate will emerge.  

I don't think that will happen.

Mostly because most of us have all said we will vote for the Dem candidate, regardless. I thought this was a democracy or we wanted it to be one.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

The only platform Joe has is catering to union / working class individuals that voted in droves for Trump in 2016. He is one of them. He was raised in Scranton PA. 

Looks like he lived in Delaware after 10,  musta been strong roots :ols:

43 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I am far more worried that the media will continue its nonsense style of driving faux coverage of dumb scandals to create some form of equivalency between a dumpster fire of corruption and immorality like Trump and some milktoast lefty in the Dem field.

There will be a 2016 version of "BUT HER EMAILS!!!" or Swiftboat and I am 100% positive that the media will once again fall sucker to Republican smear attacks.

Archived