Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Kasich would get crush in a gop primary. If he doesn't mind electing a dem; running 3rd party in the fall is the way to go. He would draw enough votes from Trump; the election tips to the dems.

Well he almost certainly would mind helping elect a Dem which is why he'd primary Trump insted of running 3rd party. He's a never-Trumper not a Democrat.

I'd love to see someone like Kasich primary Trump, but the issue I think is that any GOP challenger would have to distinguish themselves from a policy perspective. People may not like the narcissistic show that Trump puts on a daily basis, but folks make the argument that, policy wise, he is governing like just about any conservative would. The SCOTUS judges so far.  Foreign policy seems like a lot of bark, but little change to previous GOP stances. Immigration is a hot button topic for debate, but tightening up the immigration processes thru sensible reform seems to have support. The one notable area he seems to be breaking from the party is on tariffs, and we'll see what impact that has on the economy.  If we slip into a recession within the next two years, all bets are off, and any contender, whether it is in the GOP primary or a Dem in the general, will have a decent chance of beating him.

That said, I remember in the latter part of last year there was a poll taken which indicated that if the election had been held again, Trump would've still prevailed over Hillary. But I wonder if, sitting here 18 months into Trump's presidency, if GOP voters had to choose again in the primary, if they would gone with someone else over Trump today.

Rdskns2000 does bring up the scenario of Kasich running third party. This week you had Comey and Clapper openly advocating people to go out in vote for the Dems in the midterms to thwart Trump.  If Kasich feels as much antipathy toward Trump as those two do, he might very well consider an independent run in 2020. 

Now and for the last 20+ years, Fox News is the Republican Party.  They set the platform, distribute the talking points and vet the candidates.

If Fox decides that Kasich, or anybody else, is to unseat Trump in a primary, then it’s as good as done.  No ifs, ands or buts.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Now and for the last 20+ years, Fox News is the Republican Party.  They set the platform, distribute the talking points and vet the candidates.

If Fox decides that Kasich, or anybody else, is to unseat Trump in a primary, then it’s as good as done.  No ifs, ands or buts.

Fox isn't doing a damn thing.  Fox goes against Fox and Trump will make sure there's a network competing against Trump.

Trump's core supporters are NEVER leaving him. Collusion doesn't matter.  Russia helped him get elected, well that's great.  Russia saved us from Hillary. Give Putin the Medal of Honor.  Economy is bad, well it isn't Trump's fault.

Trump's diehard voters will stay with him.  A bad economy may convince those always GOP voters not to vote for Trump again.  They won't vote Democrat but maybe third party. 2020 is a ripe for a Ross Perot type candidate.  The bad economy could convince some suburban GOP women to maybe vote Dem.  

People can run against Trump in the GOP primary, they will not beat Trump.

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

The economy is bad?

I don;t think he said that.  

Yes, I know, if you pick one sentence out of a paragraph, you can claim that he did.  I just don;t think that was the message of the paragraph.

He (I think it's him.  Maybe somebody else.) has made the point about 30 times that the election in 2020 will be determined exclusively on whether the economy is perceived as good, at the time.  

(I think it's a valid point.  That's almost always what determines Presidential reelections.)  

That makes sense and I agree.  Just came across as a statement of fact about the current situation 

I think “the economy” will be a more micro focused issue.  So a good national economy won’t matter if folks in the rust belt think that they’re local economy is still bad 

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Fox isn't doing a damn thing.  Fox goes against Fox and Trump will make sure there's a network competing against Trump.

Trump's core supporters are NEVER leaving him. Collusion doesn't matter.  Russia helped him get elected, well that's great.  Russia saved us from Hillary. Give Putin the Medal of Honor.  Economy is bad, well it isn't Trump's fault.

Trump's diehard voters will stay with him.  A bad economy may convince those always GOP voters not to vote for Trump again.  They won't vote Democrat but maybe third party. 2020 is a ripe for a Ross Perot type candidate.  The bad economy could convince some suburban GOP women to maybe vote Dem.  

People can run against Trump in the GOP primary, they will not beat Trump.

We voted 3rd party in 2016 as well but Never Trumper's won't run as a 3rd party. 

8 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

It seems to me that if your stance is "We don't want Trump to be president, but we won't run 3rd party because that would allow a Democrat to win," you aren't really "Never Trump."  You're "Trump is our last resort."

I think it more on the personal level they cannot vote for Trump and do not wish to harm what's left of the party, besides Never Democrat just doesn't sing.:silly:

I think he is wrong and someone will run 3rd party, but it will not be Kasich or his like

25 minutes ago, twa said:

I think he is wrong and someone will run 3rd party, but it will not be Kasich or his like

Is it too early to hazard a guess as to whether a serious third party run would benefit more, Trump or the Dem running against him?

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

It seems to me that if your stance is "We don't want Trump to be president, but we won't run 3rd party because that would allow a Democrat to win," you aren't really "Never Trump."  You're "Trump is our last resort."

Well there is no way we think Democratic policies are better. Heck the policies that he implements that we (Never Trumpers) really don't like for the most part are policies the Dems traditionally champion).

3 hours ago, Larry said:

He (I think it's him.  Maybe somebody else.) has made the point about 30 times that the election in 2020 will be determined exclusively on whether the economy is perceived as good, at the time.  

(I think it's a valid point.  That's almost always what determines Presidential reelections.)  

Picky, picky. I should've clarified by using, "if". If the economy is bad on election day 2020; his supporters will stay with him. They will not blame Trump.  Your always GOP voter though, may not vote for Trump in 2020; if there's a bad economy then. They won't vote Dems but may vote third party. A bad economy in 2020, does give Dems a shot at suburban women voters.

Can anyone think of what candidate can actually beat Trump in 2020? What does that person need to appeal to, to win over enough voters to get 270 evs?

Hillary got 230 something Evs. So, Dems need to win her states and flip back probably 3 states that total at least 40 evs. 

Florida is one possibility if enough Puerto Ricans have moved here. What that rust belt State can be clipped back? Or can the Dem win a couple of electoral rich southern states?

Archived