Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

That's because we only have one or two posters who actually are paid representatives of their respective party. We're not pundits to a side, but citizens of a country.

Who is the paid shill...

Reveal hidden contents

C'mon. It's obvious. I don't have to tell, do I?

IS one of the Shills a he from Texas? 😉

That level of disingenuous misinformation should be made illegal.  In an age where we're still trying to figure out how to regulate this deep-fake ****, no one should be allowed to intentionally mislead the public like that.  Can't be doing that ourselves then Russia come behind on top of that, what do people expect to happen?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That level of disingenuous misinformation should be made illegal.  In an age where we're still trying to figure out how to regulate this deep-fake ****, no one should be allowed to intentionally mislead the public like that.  Can't be doing that ourselves then Russia come behind on top of that, what do people expect to happen?

The people who are doing this know exactly what they are doing. There is a reason Repubs are ok with gerrymandering and this pseudo propaganda system they are protecting by doing nothing about it. They benefit from it. 

And they few who arnt dumb enough to fall for it will let it slide cause atleast they are giving money to college students!!!

****ing idiots. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I do sort of wonder if Republicans would do at least something if it were not for the fact it hurts Trump's feelings to accept the fact his win was (is and always shall be) tainted by foreign influence. 

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I 100% agree with you but how do we accomplish it?

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I 100% agree with you but how do we accomplish it?

Couple different things I'd like but may get challenged in court.  

UK bans political ads and used Press Impartiality rules to threaten Fox News out the country.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-22238582

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41887613

Canada has a law against lying during news broadcasts.  

https://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/a-law-against-lying-on-the-news

FCC and FEC should be able to team up with additional resources to help enforce this.  I'd go further and ban private campaign campaign, allowing public funding only from the government that require a criteria to get a hold of.  By banning all private funding, the argument can be made that it's fair to everyone because it bans everyone, not just the good or bad actors, in best interests of our democracy.  

Same way ban talking about assassinating a president, THAT kind of free speech has just proven to be more trouble then its worth, it makes sensible public discourse impossible when actors are intentionally trying to fill the conversation with misleading information, and its done intentionally so that can certain people can stay in power.  I mean, we should be able to follow the tree all the way up to the root and prove this in court that this type of speech is being protected for the wrong reasons and we didn't always use to view money and corporations this way (looking right at your Citizens United).

**** will change fast if we do all of that.

• Like 2
Just now, Mooka said:

^^^

Not sure that really get's at the underlying problem though.

People want to watch/read fake news. They don't care if its fake. 

There are people that want crystal meth, that doesn't mean you should put it on shelves in Walmart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There are people that want crystal meth, that doesn't mean you should put it on shelves in Walmart.

Yea but that's just prohibition and its ineffective on its own. If you really want to get people off crystal you need health programs, drug clinics, innovative policing, etc. 

For the news.... not sure what that translates too. Have to invest in it as a country somehow and make journalism a more rewarding career choice 

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Yea but that's just prohibition and its ineffective on its own. If you really want to get people off crystal you need health programs, drug clinics, innovative policing, etc. 

For the news.... not sure what that translates too. Have to invest in it as a country somehow and make journalism a more rewarding career choice 

That's key right there, by itself its not doing the job.  This issue, much like gun control, needs mulitple layers to help slow it down, you can't stop it.  

That doesn't mean you go ahead and make Meth legal because you can't stop people from consuming it while its illegal.  You can't see what I proposed doesn't work here when its highly effecitve in other countries in slowing down the methods of which to spread disinformation.  I mean, you don't seriously believe that re-enabling the fairness doctrine we had in this country would have no effect when getting rid of it is a huge part that got us into this mess in the first place.  

Policy absolutely can make a difference. It's been noted this isn't an issue with all journalism, printed sources like NYT and Wapo are doing just fine. Its that a huge chunk of the country is getting their news from a propoganda machine, that has to be addressed, we can't just let that happen regardless of whatelse we want to do to address this issue.

• Rdskns2000 changed the title to Presidential Election: 11/3/20- Joe Biden WILL BEAT Donald Trump. Yes he will, U-watch. Friday or Saturday, Joe will win!
  • Jumbo changed the title to Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread