Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Interesting that the market rocketed up the day after the transition was officially allowed to begin.

DJT always took credit for the stock market rise between Election Day 2016 and Inauguration Day 2017.

In the three weeks after Election Day 2016, the Dow rose 4.2 percent. In the three weeks since Election Day 2020, the Dow has risen 9.3 percent.

SAD!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

this last few weeks is the first time i'm seeing pa's lt gov, fetterman...i liked him right away, particularly his demeanor a and no-nonsense straight talk style, and he continues to grow on me

i know nothing about him really, but based on that ignorance and my spidey-sense, i like the idea of him running for a bigger office soon

that he looks like a serial killer is a bonus in my book

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Re: Olbermann

100% right... about grand juries, juries, etc. 

"No President/Admin wlll follow the law if we don't prosecute the President/Admin who has obviously brroken the most laws."

Watergate unraveled because leaders didn't want to go to jail.  

I will start with suggestions.  Fully prosecute everyone who flaunted the Hatch Act. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

One of the lessons of the Trump era must be... if you let them get away with it then they will do worse. If you think they will be chastened and learn their lesson they will instead be enboldened to go even further.

There is a part of me that thinks for the good of the nation we should let bygones be bygones, but the Republicans have not learned their lesson. Already they are saying that Biden is an illegitimate President and tha tthe voter's will was on the Republican side because gerrymandering led to an increase in House seats. So even beyond Trump, they will not learn their lesson. They will be the same corrupt, obstructive ****s they have been for years. Does anyone really think McConnell, who still wants to vote on Trump judges and Fed positions, has learned a lesson and will be cooperative in any fashion?

Obermann might be right. The only way to gain peace might be to punish them for their hubris and corruption. Lyndsey Graham's misdeeds should go before a court. So should Jim Jordan's and Devin Nunes' and William Barr's and Donald Trump's. If they broke the law they should answer to it. If they are found not guilty well then that's good, too. Lord knows they tried Hillary often enough. Let's use Republican tactics and try Republicans... except let's try Republicans not because it advances a political message but because Republicans are actually guilty of grevious wrongdoing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
49 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Do it and be a legend, Biden.

Blanket student loan forgiveness or blanket forgiveness for anyone under a certain very high income threshold is akin to blanket immigration amnesty during the Reagan years.  It may be preferable to the status quo, but it's a poor solution that avoids the hard work of crafting a targeted legislative solution that strikes the appropriate balance between giving relief to those struggling but also not arbitrarily rewarding a randomly selected group over those who worked as best they could within the context of existing rules. More critically, it fails to prevent the repeat of this problem in the future.  

Forgiveness income threshold should be lowered, asset test should be implemented, but also period should be expanded to capture people who attended college in the recent past who made do with their low income and asset to avoid accruing a lot of student loan.  Those group should be rewarded for their responsible behavior.  And any forgiveness amount tied to income/asset threshold or look back period should be phased out in gradual increments rather than a clear dividing line of demarcation.

A critical component has to address student loan affordability going forward.  We should drastically curtail access to student loan program for colleges that has a high default rate, who are often for-profit outfits.  Biden has the right idea in making community colleges free or at least exceedingly affordable.  

Every repayment plan should be income based (something Biden has already proposed).  I would favor zero interest for those below a set income/asset threshold.  And I would make student loan counseling mandatory for every new borrower so that people actually understand what they are getting themselves into.

These would be just the start.  But blanket one time forgiveness of student loans is a lazy approach to a very complex and continuing problem.  

• Like 4

Wait.  It is being sold as a Pennsylvania Senate hearing, but it is really a GOPers of the Pennsylvania Senate hearing. 

Either way, feels like more attacks to discredit and get rid of easy and or mail-in-ballots.  Dirty Repuicans may not be able to keep Trump in office, but they are working to find reasons to enact measures to disenranchise voters. 

Regardless, this all feels like the political Matrix.  I wasn't watching close when Colin Powell lied in front of the UN to justify the Iraq War.  The media didn't get the story right.  I watched the $700B bailout turn from a "purchase bad loans" program to "let's buy stock in the banks" program.  That got my adult attention.  Paulson still misses why folks were pissed.  It was undemocratic.  The next 5 years it was GOP BS about how evil Obamacare was.  I still remember Boehner's speech.  Between that, Congressional shutdown and a sequestration that everyone acted like would never happen... it all seems like ancient history. 

Trump is exceedingly transparent in his greed and embracing of the vocal, hard right wing... Comey and the media threw him the election, but I don't blame anyone typical American. 

The media puppets the political class.  When I see it, I hate it.  I don't see all sides of the 40 sided die the political class rolls, but they are rolling over the American citizen. Not so much in terms of "right", but the general abilty of an American to enjoy "the pursuit of happiness."  

Education, housing, health care and food.  It is sad I need to add food to this list.  You don't need to be biased in terms of any solution to agree that for a median of Americans, the pursuit feels rigged.  Trump divided us so much that we couldn't even talk about real problems.  But the richest President ever, who treated Hillary like she was a grifter (and if she was a man, she probably wins too).  

I just want to media to call them all out on their BS...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, visionary said:

I’m convinced there is a pee tape with her and either POTUS or Don Jr. I imagine her calculus is to run for office in a heavily red Trump district so she thinks she has to lick his balls as much as possible, but damn. 

Trump ultimately throws everybody under the bus - even his own family. He is completely transactional. And the minute it’s more convenient to ditch you, then you’re done. And if you don’t throw yourself willingly under the bus..... the decision is further justified.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1