Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Adding more justices and expanding the Senate by giving American citizens congressional representation that they currently lack is also playing by the rules. 

The GOP has been bending and altering the “rules” all over the country to subvert democracy. From packing Supreme Courts at the state level, to neutering the powers of incoming governors to gerrymandering Congressional districts to pointlessly removing cabinet members of Democratic governors.

It’s a clown argument that restoring integrity to our institutions is bending the rules. The rules have been bent and rat ****ed all over the country by the GOP. Balancing our institutions against a decades long assault on democratic principles and fixing crappy institutional design that empowers minority rule is beyond necessary to restore sensible governance in this country.

6 hours ago, visionary said:

But what is the end result other than both parties trying to one up the other when they get the chance?  It's going to be utter chaos, if that happens.  There has to be some sort of workable realistic long term plan.

Then it seems our choices right now seem to be utter chaos and tyranny.  Which would you choose?

So Trump and some Republicans seem to think this SCOTUS fight will somehow be good for him. Seems to me that it's more likely to get the other side out to vote. Trump pretty much already has the single issue "judges" voters he'll be targeting. At best for Trump it would be a wash as far as driving turnout, but I have a feeling it will be more in Biden's direction. 

But then again, when has Trump every completely misjudged how the public would react to something he did or said?  :ols:

9 hours ago, visionary said:

Interesting, but how do we get there, and how do we keep it from expanding to 20, 50, etc?

One way to make it seem even semi principled would be the following imo.

- Pass a law that expands judiciary appointment each census based on some kind of a metric calculated by population, number of circuits, and current caseload.  The new appointments would be rounded up to an even number and would be capped at a percentage of the current number (with a lower flat number cap for SCOTUS such as 2-4)

- Such law would schedule out new expanded judicial appointments over several presidencies.  The presidency that begins right after or is in effect during the census would appoint 1/3, the subsequent presidents would each appoint 1/3.  SCOTUS appointment shall be made by the subsequent presidents in halves.

- All judicial nominations will receive a vote during the senate term in which the nomination is submitted, so long as such nomination is submitted prior to 90 days before the expiration of the term.  Any nomination submitted within 90 days before the expiration of the term shall not be voted on until the following senate term unless at least 60 senators concur.  If more than one nominee for SCOTUS or Circuit Court is submitted during a term, each additional nomination shall expand the above deadline by 30 days, but the President shall reserve the right to withdraw any nominee pending before the Senate.  Any nominee for SCOTUS or Circuit Court who is timely nominated but does not receive a vote shall be deemed automatically confirmed by the full Senate.

20 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think we need an amendment limiting federal judges/justices to one 10 year term. We need to get rid of lifetime appointments.

Unfortunately, that's in the Constitution, so extremely unlikely

Edit: Missed amendment in the quoted post.  My bad.

you know how large flocks of birds (among other species) shift movements in such swift and organized response even when gathered in very large numbers?

i wish the anti-trump people were able do that in response to the existence of trump supporters, in terms of swift, mass, organized, response

as to what form(s) of response are best, i excuse myself from making suggestions as they tend to run more into the colder side of classic animal husbandry for a certain group whose membership is determined by adult choice, but i take strength from seeing most of the good folks around me in 3d like most of you here  are diligently wearing their problem-solving hats 

the wind has ben knocked out of decent people once again with the latest tragic news and its huge sociopolitical implications, but onward every decent and sane person must go....and submission or weakening by wear and tear is not an option---see liz warren :) 

6 hours ago, visionary said:
Interesting, but how do we get there, and how do we keep it from expanding to 20, 50, etc?

You make the new law that increases justices specifically based on circuit courts (which then are based on population) like its supposed to be anyway, and which we're way behind on. And not just arbitrarily increase it to a random, higher number.

I've seen the idea floated that the GOP could pull off another ruse where they claim to hold off on confirming a new justice until after the election to "give the American people a voice" but then if Biden wins, they will go ahead and push through a new justice anyway during the lame duck session. 

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I've seen the idea floated that the GOP could pull off another ruse where they claim to hold off on confirming a new justice until after the election to "give the American people a voice" but then if Biden wins, they will go ahead and push through a new justice anyway during the lame duck session. 

The calculus shouldn't change. Any replacement before the inauguration then you have to expand the court.

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

To me it's the most likely scenario. Gives GOP senators in tight races cover until after the election.

Win or lose in November, Trump is getting another SCOTUS judge confirmed during his term. Nothing anyone can do to stop it.

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Oh, if anybody thinks this seat will be vacant when Biden raises his hand, I've got some lottery numbers to sell you.  

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

The calculus shouldn't change. Any replacement before election then you have to expand the court.

No, you don't.  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Oh, if anybody thinks this seat will be vacant when Biden raises his hand, I've got some lottery numbers to sell you.  

No, you don't.  

Meant inauguration but Dems can't let two seats be bullied right from them. Any reforms you think of making kiss them goodbye for a generation. 

Archived