Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

I actually missed the last debate.  I had CNN on in the background while I was doing something else, and just figured it would be on late since it was a few hours behind, then realized it was on another channel after the fact.

I've been a Klobuchar supporter the whole time but I missed the meltdown.  The most interesting take I read might have been a (WaPo?) article saying that Klobuchar's best chance going forward is to resonate with all working women who have had an Ivy League educated, male co-worker who was underqualified and/or lazy but always got the promotion over them because of their ties with the boss, etc, despite the woman doing a majority of the work.  The article made it seem like every woman in the corporate world has dealt with this in their lives at some point.

Maybe it's true, no idea.  I work in the government and my office is majority women, I'm actually the only guy in management.  But I could see this resonating with women who fought their way up over the last 50 years.  Ultimately though, it feels like a major reach, and she may need to think about winding it down, while I need to figure out who I'm going to move my support to.

This is the first time I've really paid attention to this, but how does a transfer of delegates work.  Let's say Klobuchar sticks through Super Tuesday but doesn't perform well.  She take Minnesota and qualifies in a few other states and winds up with some number, lets say 100 for arguments sake.  She decides to support Biden.  Does she alone get to say "my delegates go to Biden" or is there some other mechanism, a recalculating of previous votes, etc.?

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I actually missed the last debate.  I had CNN on in the background while I was doing something else, and just figured it would be on late since it was a few hours behind, then realized it was on another channel after the fact.

I've been a Klobuchar supporter the whole time but I missed the meltdown.  The most interesting take I read might have been a (WaPo?) article saying that Klobuchar's best chance going forward is to resonate with all working women who have had an Ivy League educated, male co-worker who was underqualified and/or lazy but always got the promotion over them because of their ties with the boss, etc, despite the woman doing a majority of the work.  The article made it seem like every woman in the corporate world has dealt with this in their lives at some point.

Maybe it's true, no idea.  I work in the government and my office is majority women, I'm actually the only guy in management.  But I could see this resonating with women who fought their way up over the last 50 years.  Ultimately though, it feels like a major reach, and she may need to think about winding it down, while I need to figure out who I'm going to move my support to.

This is the first time I've really paid attention to this, but how does a transfer of delegates work.  Let's say Klobuchar sticks through Super Tuesday but doesn't perform well.  She take Minnesota and qualifies in a few other states and winds up with some number, lets say 100 for arguments sake.  She decides to support Biden.  Does she alone get to say "my delegates go to Biden" or is there some other mechanism, a recalculating of previous votes, etc.?

As a woman, this is certainly true and one of the reasons I became a consultant. Even then, one agency I worked through started offering assignments where the high priced male consultant was fired from the assignment and I had to come in late to the proposal effort (within 2-3 weeks of the due date) wrangle everyone and get a compliant proposal submitted, often for less hourly rate than the fired consultant because his rate ate up the budget. After this happened a bunch of times, I quit accepting assignments from that agency.

Some women are lucky this kind of stuff doesn't happen to them. Klobachar is correct that it happens with a frequency that it shouldn't. 

10 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Some women are lucky this kind of stuff doesn't happen to them. Klobachar is correct that it happens with a frequency that it shouldn't. 

I guess the question is, is this a large enough voting bloc (and is this enough of a concern to that voting bloc vs. beating Trump) for Amy to...I don't know if weaponize is the right word, but motivate them enough to keep her in the race.  Make them see themselves in her, and how she's responded to Buttigieg "stealing" what she's worked so hard to achieve.

Thanks for the other responses above on the delegates.  I should know these things at my age, but the Republican s-show last cycle was such a reality tv show that I barely paid attention to anything other than the debates, and prior to that, I never really tuned in until the candidates were chosen.  This is the first time I've seriously paid attention to the decision making process leading up to a candidate being selected.

32 minutes ago, Forehead said:

If there is a contested convention, the delegates are no longer bound by the primary or caucus results and the super delegates can now vote.

Technically, the candidate doesn't have the power to control any delegate votes.  But their share of delegates from the state are chosen by the campaign themselves, so certain loyalties will lie.  So, for example, suppose @tshile wins a delegate in Virginia and selects me as that delegate (thanks tshile!).  Let's say after a contested round 1, he makes a deal with Buttigieg to hand over the delegates to him for a public VP short list.  He makes a nice speach on the convention floor talking up Mayor Pete and says he will release his delegates to support Pete.  I say I always knew tshile was no good and I secretly suspected he was in beds with billionaires all along.  Then I rip off my shirt to reveal the Bernie Bros tshirt underneath and join the revolution.  Nothing tshile can do about that (but I still want to be your delegate.  Or your social media shill).

Amy isn't going to have much delegates to give. You need to finish with 15% of the vote to be awarded delegates. I don't think she's polling that high anywhere.

NH was the high for her campaign.

Bernie is a lock to meet that threshold in all states. The opposition to Bernie needs to be consolidated but it won't until after Super Tuesday. Bernie could be the only one to win CA delegates all by himself and if that happens, Bernie will have a huge lead.

This isn't so much a theory as it is just funny to think about, because I don't think it's the case, but what if Bloomberg is just there as a practice Trump.

Bloomberg hates Trump.  Someone, maybe the DNC, got him to run so he could be used as for practice.

Think about it.  A billionaire with a bad race relations policy history and a history of locker room talk?  But for the fact Trump isn't actually a billionaire, the above could apply to both.

They're doing debate prep for Trump in plain sight.

33 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

This isn't so much a theory as it is just funny to think about, because I don't think it's the case, but what if Bloomberg is just there as a practice Trump.

Bloomberg hates Trump.  Someone, maybe the DNC, got him to run so he could be used as for practice.

Think about it.  A billionaire with a bad race relations policy history and a history of locker room talk?  But for the fact Trump isn't actually a billionaire, the above could apply to both.

You think somebody went to Bloomberg, with an offer of "We want you to be a sock puppet punching bag on national TV.  Oh, and we want you to spend a hundred million dollars of your own money, for the privilege.", and he took that deal?  

I wanna know who made that pitch.  I want him, probably for SecState.  

51 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Are the Dems going to pay Michael for all that money he is spending?

Your theory would be more plausible if Mike didn't spend that amount of money.

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If I had his money, I'd do it. 

Trouble is, he doesn't know how to debate. 

My husband & I both lettered in HS, and were stellar. Punch back, point by point. 

He didn't do that, and can't because his policies were terrible. There's no defense for that. Even when he tried & got rebutted, he couldn't retort. 

If this WAS a trial run, it failed. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I just want to see Bernie lose the nomination again just to see the  Bernie Bro meltdown.

One problem. Since he has 5 opponents that could actually win delegates , the are keeping one opponent to face Bernie. So, Bernie can rack up a big lead in delegates.

If he goes into the convention with a big lead and they deny him the nomination Armageddon.

The Bernie Bros will not support any Dem running for any office. That could give the GOP a huge sweep.

I could see Bernie Bros urging Bernie to go third party and he does.

Denying Bernie the nomination if he has a big lead would be worse than if he was the nominee.

What happens if it's real close, no idea. Still a ****show but not as bad  if there was a big lead.

The thing is if you look at the numbers the only thing keeping Bernie winning is that none of the moderates are dropping out.  It will only take a couple of them exiting the race for the moderate dem vote to begin consolidating, and then Bernie's lead is going to shrink or disappear completely. 

I am squarely in the Vote Blue No Matter Who camp, but if Bernie wins the nomination because he received the most votes by the people, and the DNC tries to override that? It is the quickest route to people staying home in the general election. 

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing is if you look at the numbers the only thing keeping Bernie winning is that none of the moderates are dropping out.  It will only take a couple of them exiting the race for the moderate dem vote to begin consolidating, and then Bernie's lead is going to shrink or disappear completely. 

I am squarely in the Vote Blue No Matter Who camp, but if Bernie wins the nomination because he received the most votes by the people, and the DNC tries to override that? It is the quickest route to people staying home in the general election. 

not necessarily. Bernie will still pick up support from voters of other candidates if that candidate drops out. It’s not like they would all go to other moderate candidates. 

he might even pick them up more easily being seen as the front runner now where Biden was previously 

Obviously the "theory" about Bloomberg isn't true, and wasn't intended to be so, but to the people who are saying it isn't because he's spent "so much money", I suspect you're thinking like a normal person.

Bloomberg's net worth according to a quick Google search is on the order of 62 billion dollars. He could literally spend 61 BILLION dollars on this and still be a billionaire. The few hundred million he's spent so far is a rounding error. He tosses money around like that all the time... and did in 2018 when he helped get a lot of Democrats elected without being on the ballot himself. 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

not necessarily. Bernie will still pick up support from voters of other candidates if that candidate drops out. It’s not like they would all go to other moderate candidates. 

he might even pick them up more easily being seen as the front runner now where Biden was previously 

I agree some supporters will go to him, but I think overall the moderates outnumber the progressives, and I say this as a progressive myself.  I think the closer we get to the election, and the more the media plays up the horse race of the election, they are going to harp on the general election being neck and neck etc etc etc....a lot of voters who like Bernie but no more than the next nominee, will flock to the moderates out of fear.

17 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Remember, I said it wasn't a theory :P.

However, in the spirit of trying to make this hypothetical work, I imagine at some point Bloomberg made clear he was gonna blow 500M anyway, and someone convinced him that spending 100M of that in this way made sense.

4 minutes ago, techboy said:

Obviously the "theory" about Bloomberg isn't true, and wasn't intended to be so, but to the people who are saying it isn't because he's spent "so much money", I suspect you're thinking like a normal person.

Bloomberg's net worth according to a quick Google search is on the order of 62 billion dollars. He could literally spend 61 BILLION dollars on this and still be a billionaire. The few hundred million he's spent so far is a rounding error. He tosses money around like that all the time... and did in 2018 when he helped get a lot of Democrats elected without being on the ballot himself. 

While I'm well aware that Bloomberg has the money to waste, I do think it's valid to point out the difficulty in believing that he is actually wasting it.  Intentionally so.  

The fact that he can afford to spend a million dollars on a McDonald's hamburger does not mean it's reasonable to assume that he did.  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

While I'm well aware that Bloomberg has the money to waste, I do think it's valid to point out the difficulty in believing that he is actually wasting it.  Intentionally so.  

The fact that he can afford to spend a million dollars on a McDonald's hamburger does not mean it's reasonable to assume that he did.  

I actually had a response to this, and then I glanced into my possible future, where counterfactual me spends pages getting deeper and deeper into arguing about why counterfactual Mike Bloomberg would be willing to spend his money in this way (because I totally would do that).

Crisis averted.

giphy.gif

Archived