Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

It's too bad their won't be a real discussion on the issues in the general election.  

The Democratic primary is full of then. Warren publishing policy papers left and right.  Other candidates pushing single issues like climate change.  Even Bernie with his Medicare for all, etc..   You will be having real discussions on the various issues and the candidates plans for to solves those issues.  Sadly, you won't get a discussion like that in the fall.

The Dem nominee will have noone to actually debate.  Trump has no knowledge and is incapable of seriously debating the issues.  He'll just demagogue.

There's really going to be on issue next fall, defeating Trump.  That's the only issue.   Can the Democratic nominee get enough people to vote for him/her to defeat Trump. The nominee stances on the issues will help him/her but that nominee has to convince enough people.

That's why even with 20+ candidates, the dem nomination is being driven by who can beat Trump in the general. That's the only real issue.  Many have their preferred candidate, but your candidate may not be the one to get the nomination or be the best candidate.  The Dem nominee will likely be someone who won't have the full support of the dem electorate but you're going to have vote for them anyway.   This is the second abnormal election in a row because of the abnormality of Donald Trump.  He must be defeated. 

Whether you agree with disagree with the nominee. Whether that nominee inspire or repeals you.   That nominee needs to become Potus #46.  We can't afford 4 more years of Trump.

Trump already showed in the 2016 debates that he has no clue what he is talking about on the issues, like literally he has nothing to say of substance when it comes to policy.  Unfortunately that didn't seem to matter for far too many people. Populism won the day in 2016.  This time around assuming the economy is sitting around where it is now, it will be the same nonsense but with a jobs report added in.  

What the.....is Fox trying to lull Democrats into complacency with that poll? Also, it is still early but the more polls that are being shown seem to suggest Trump has a ceiling of around 41% or so, which basically means once again all the Democrats have to do is not screw up.  Of course that might be a lot to ask because it is still verrrrrry early.

20 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Trump already showed in the 2016 debates that he has no clue what he is talking about on the issues, like literally he has nothing to say of substance when it comes to policy.  Unfortunately that didn't seem to matter for far too many people. Populism won the day in 2016.  This time around assuming the economy is sitting around where it is now, it will be the same nonsense but with a jobs report added in.  

I've touched on this from time to time, but it's going to be worse.

Much worse.

In my opinion, trump's greatest attribute as a political candidate is that he manages to steal every headline.

When the headline for the day should be "<Candidate> announces plan on <issue>" followed up by "<Candidate> does town hall on new announcement" ... what we actually got was:

"Here's what Trump tweeted about <Candidate>'s announcement on <issue> today"

And the entire back half of the news for that day revolves around Trump's tweet, and what other people think about Trump's tweet. Meanwhile the candidate in question got headlines during, what... 9am-12PM? 

He's a one-upper. He finds a way to make everything about him. Even when it attracts extremely negative outrage, it works. Because it's him people are talking about. 

Now he's the president... Not only can he just send out ridiculous tweets to steal the spotlight, but he can also just do random ****ing things. Like pardon someone. Or release an executive order. Or call a press conference where he doesn't say anything new, just rambles. Or stage a meeting with a foreign official. 

Or just tweet something that sends the stock people scrambling, because now he's actually president so there's weight to it (even if there shouldn't be)

To me, Trump running for reelection is going to be harder to beat. If the dems don't have a plan to deal with the one-upsmanship that Trump brings to the table, I don't think they're going to succeed. We're a headline-only nation now. Trump can flood the headlines whenever he wants now and drown out whomever he wants now. That's a real issue. I haven't heard any suggestions on how to actually deal with it.

21 hours ago, tshile said:

To me, Trump running for reelection is going to be harder to beat. If the dems don't have a plan to deal with the one-upsmanship that Trump brings to the table, I don't think they're going to succeed. We're a headline-only nation now. Trump can flood the headlines whenever he wants now and drown out whomever he wants now. That's a real issue. I haven't heard any suggestions on how to actually deal with it.

Really tough to disagree. Recent history has shown that unless the economy goes real south (or you have a generational politician like Bill Clinton running), the incumbent normally prevails. Despite the fact that the Dem nominee won't have Hillary's baggage, I just don't think there's enough people in this country who care enough about Trump's jackassery. He'll get the benefit of the doubt and win re-election. I do think on some level his only goal is to show he can win re-election, and surprisingly, I can see him resigning early in his second term and handing the reins over to Pence. 

21 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Really tough to disagree. Recent history has shown that unless the economy goes real south (or you have a generational politician like Bill Clinton running), the incumbent normally prevails. Despite the fact that the Dem nominee won't have Hillary's baggage, I just don't think there's enough people in this country who care enough about Trump's jackassery. He'll get the benefit of the doubt and win re-election. I do think on some level his only goal is to show he can win re-election, and surprisingly, I can see him resigning early in his second term and handing the reins over to Pence. 

Turnout is key. Trump tops out at around 40% support - but those people get out and vote. The turnout at the mid terms was a historic high driven by big increases in younger people (up 16%) and women (up 12%). These people were largely voting for change and against Trump.

If that trend continues through 2020 Trump is in big trouble. But if the Democrats screw up their primary process and elect a bad candidate or alienate parts of that group in the process at least Trump might just win. Which does NOT bear thinking about.

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Gonna take a wild guess and say whoever drew that cartoon doesn't see anything wrong with Putin and Trump.

Because they are not included?

Archived