Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

21 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Ouch.

I like things about Barr. Not least of which is knowing when he is losing and shutting the hell up and listening when he is. Not many people can do that. Even less people who feel like they are in a position of power can do it. Maybe he just understands the game better than most. But any one of these republican senators would have kept running head first into that wall and that woman doesn't often talk about **** she doesn't have facts about. He was smart enough to understand that at least. 

Interesting that Beto is polling really well with college-educated liberals. If they are the backbone of the new Dem urban-suburban coalition, there might be a path for Beto-mania to go national. 

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Here is an interesting nugget from the NPR/Marist poll:

image.png.9ab5d6d29217587c9ccf719a21df7127.png

This is interesting, especially if more than one poll can confirm it. 

A major schism in the GOP where the post-2010 nutjobs are booted out would be a welcome sign in our politics. I will take the smug, holier than thou Bush-era politics over this trash heap of racist anarcho-libertarians.

12 minutes ago, superozman said:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE give me a republican to vote for over Trump.   PLEASEEEEEE

Why?  

How much will anybody with an R after their name actually differ from Trump?

OK, maybe this imaginary Republican won't think the US should pull out of NATO. (And yeah, that is a kinda significant policy difference.)

(Although I note the complete absence of any R at all willing to openly disagree with Trump, right now, over the issue.)

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Recent chatter is that Larry Hogan might primary DJT.  Popular governor in a blue state who is somewhat liberal on social issues. Don't know what kind of chance he would have in a GOP primary against an incumbent president, but there perhaps is the chance that enough folks, even GOP voters, might be getting tired of Trump's act. 

So I was watching Maher's return episode of Real Time tonight and towards the end one of the new rules struck a chord.  What exactly does "middle class" mean in 2019 as opposed to 1950-1980?  It seems when people use the term middle class they instantly think back to a time that no longer exists.

in 2019, a lot of people might be considered middle class due to the tax bracket they are in, but by every other metric they don't seem to be.   How did this country go from a 1 income per family was enough to pay the mortgage, go on vacation, raise kids, etc etc to a country where dual income houses often are scraping by paycheck to paycheck or maybe a couple missed paychecks away from disaster.   We can skip the anecdotes about people living beyond their means or being irresponsible because there are those in every income level, but they aren't the majority.   Was this a slow transition?  I am curious how did it happen and how were the vast majority of Americans duped into being ok with this direction.

As a liberal myself, I sometimes feel the left tackles this issue in a short-sighted way.  Yes the minimum wage (not to mention wages period) should probably be raised, but the bigger overall issue to me is why is the value of the dollar itself seeming to drop.  Why is a 100k household in 2019 so much less capable than a 40-50k household 50 years ago.  I am sure it is a loaded question with many answers

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Why?  

Quite a bit I think. Any other Republican would have succeeded in repealing the ACA (sticking fingers in the eyes of votes needed isn't smart deal making - McCain's no vote wouldn't have happened), any other Republican would have secured border security as part of an immigration deal, any other Republican would not have wrecked or attempt to wreck our international alliances, any other Republican wouldn't have started trade wars with everyone at once), etc. etc, etc. 

Well except maybe Patrick Buchanan.    

@NoCalMike imo it has a lot to do with the dissolution of American Unions. Which has led to a loss of benefits and wage stagnation. Wages simply haven't increased to account for inflation. Same goes for the cost of living increase.

Another contributing factor is also the decline in the American educational system. Having access to an affordable college education was and still is key to the growth of the middle class in America. 

Oh and globalization. Everyone makes all kinds of stuff now. America has far more competition in the global market than in 1950 or 1970. So corporations have a lot of options on where they choose to do business. 

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Quite a bit I think. Any other Republican would have succeeded in repealing the ACA (sticking fingers in the eyes of votes needed isn't smart deal making - McCain's no vote wouldn't have happened), any other Republican would have secured border security as part of an immigration deal, any other Republican would not have wrecked or attempt to wreck our international alliances, any other Republican wouldn't have started trade wars with everyone at once), etc. etc, etc. 

Well except maybe Patrick Buchanan.    

President Jeb! or Rubio or Walker probably would have done those things. All of those Republicans were tarred and feathered by Trump during the primaries and the base had no problem with it. 

The two favorite choices were Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, two men who are more alike than different. 

i like reading about all the candidates 'evolving' because it's science-affirming :D

and it offers a contrast to the gopers who have largely clung to their neanderthal origins

(it is fun to watch politicians of any label who are so slippery in their positions over time that they rival the salmon right out of the river)

Archived