Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm hoping the whole hospital and practice closing thing comes up again, someone has to make clear how they plan to keep the medical industry from contracting the way so many are predicting without protecting them.  The common diss for this idea is the lines will get longer, won't the additional patients help off-set the price cuts?

I think the issue is that there are not many mental health treatment professionals that need more patients.  In my area, you are lucky to find a psychiatrist who have a wait list below three months.  They will not be taking in more patients, because they are fully booked already.  But, if you dramatically cut their pay, you will have these people retire or spend more of their time doing things other than providing treatment (e.g. Research, expert testimony, consulting).

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

There's gotta be a way to get these prices down, we are getting price gauged in this country because pharma is being allowed to do it. I'm fine with using block grants to cover the missing money to hospitals, but we'd need to bring that $150 billion number down, it should come down gradually, not jolted.

That last part felt completely unnecessary.  Warren said she supported Bernie's plan for MFA, here's how he said he planned to pay for it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/options-to-finance-medicare-for-all%3Finline%3Dfile&ved=2ahUKEwjckrbn34rjAhVvmeAKHTwHB1sQFjAUegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2tqCxQugfNOPAoT_zhxHsW

I don't think they are ignoring the costs of this at all, they really do believe there's so much money at the top in this country that by taxing them we can afford it without wrecking the economy.

Putting a good number on the costs of Sander's plan is essentially impossible because it is more generous than the plan used by essentially any other country.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/10/18304448/bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all

(Point I was making before, it is hard to back up good big ideas with actual data because none exist.)

I also don't think Sanders really cares about the deficit, and therefore doesn't really care about paying for it.

(Cheney famously said that Reagan proved that deficits don't matter.  There is a growing component on the left (even among progressive economists) that essentially believe the same.)

However, he does believe in raising taxes on the wealthy so if he can say he's going to fund something that he thinks people generally will support with increased taxes on the wealthy, he's glad to do it.

In terms of Pharma, the easiest way to bring things down would be to eliminate patents and to reduce FDA associated barriers to bring things to market (even to bring a generic drug to market, you have to show it is "pharmaceutically equivalent".

Prices would come down, but medical progress would slow down and drugs would become less safe.

44 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

@thegreaterbuzzette I'm waiting for someone to say you don't know anything about healthcare plans.

I was secretly hoping too

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So we agree then?  I wasn't a fan of options on the ACA exchanges when they first came out, let alone now.  It will hard to get my support for removing private insurance unless they plan to make sure Medicare can match those phenomenal plans.  It's already been shown in here how many countries with universal health care still have private insurance, doesn't have to be all or nothing, and its good most of them support it.

This is my last healthcare item as it's off topic and I'll move it to correct thread.....America's issue with health care IS the PRIVATE insurance. We need to fix the GREEDY insurance clowns charging $600 per box of kleenex.

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If it keeps being a trainwreck like this, I'm gonna turn it off.  This seems like the GOP debates.  Who can yell the loudest.

Okay, Harris just did a good job there.

This.is.better.than.a.housewives.reunion.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Thank you, Kamela, for bringing this back home.

You know some campaign intern's life just got made. "She used me food fight/food on the table line!!!!!!!!!"

10 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Can we discuss healthcare in the appropriate thread?

I wanna focus on my fantasy of Kamala Harris skull ****ing the POTUS.

Agreed, moving there.

Also....I am sitting here wonder if there is a thread to "live chat" the debate.....and refresh the page. Jesus....y'all are my people!

Archived