Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

Castro has declared. On Meet the Press now. 

Know nothing about him. First thought is "Odds of somebody named Castro winning Florida?"

He might make a VP choice ,at least adds youth and minority.

Doesn't have much experience and is not the Beto wow factor 

Well this week has turned into a disaster and not even through the early games (Had Gurley in my two biggest leagues but also started Gronk in them (What is up with him is he out?)  Picked up Indy defense and they are laying an egg. 5 Championship games and looks like I'm done in 3 of them and in trouble in the other two as well.   (Hope Fitz balls out as he is Gurley's emergency repalcement).

Oops  wrong thread but edit fixes it somewhat (thanks Larry for the heads up).

11148751_10206758293328290_2842075622093
David Gerrold

I will probably have to post this every week between now and November 2020....

Donald Trump was given free rent in our most respected White House because of Russian meddling, social media trolls, vote-rigging, voter-suppression, gerrymandering, and ... hard-line leftists who believe that being right is more important than winning — that sulking in self-righteousness is more important than small patient steps forward.

We are paying the price for that. If all those who voted for Russia-backed Jill Stein as a protest against Donald Trump had been pragmatic enough to vote for the woman who actually had government experience, we wouldn't be in this mess now.

If all those who joined the chorus of anti-Hillary complaints because she wasn't progressive enough (she was only 90% in agreement with Bernie) had been pragmatic enough to campaign for and vote for the candidate who had fairly won the primaries, we wouldn't be in this mess now.

I said this before, I'll say it again. There is no white knight. You're not getting a pony. What we have is a gigantic steaming pile of horse **** — what we need is a plow horse. What we need is someone who can actually manage a complicated executive position.

As we head into one of the most critical elections of this country's history, there must be one overriding concern — uniting the Democratic base behind the Democratic candidate.

Now, look — the primaries are where you vote your heart and your conscience and your personal issues. Go for it. But don't attack the process as flawed if your candidate doesn't win — if your candidate can't raise the funds or the votes or the enthusiasm, it doesn't mean their ideas are bad. Your candidate got heard, and very likely will have a voice at the convention in writing the platform. But once the primary system gives us a nominee — that's the standard bearer and all of us need to commit ourselves to electing the man or woman who can and will repair the damage, help us recover from our wounds, and get us back on track, moving forward again.

We're not going to get a great leap forward — great leaps forward usually result in great faceplants. But if we can get this government back on the rails, we can restore the processes that can move us forward, one step at a time, one issue at a time.

Yeah, I get it — that's not fast enough for you. Hell, it's not fast enough for me either. My generation was promised a flying car, remember?

But history tells us that's the only way to succeed — with patience, perseverance, and purpose. And above all — a pragmatic understanding of how to get from here to there.

First we win the election. We have to put people in office who will listen to us. Then we can push for our various issues.

(BTW — anyone posting a "let's blame Hillary for..." comment will be deleted, unfriended, and possibly blocked. That conversation is over. Likewise, anyone whining about how the Democratic primaries in 2016 were rigged will also get a free ride on the trebuchet. Bernie was never a Democrat, he never did anything for the Democratic party — so why should the party choose him to be the standard bearer? Yes, he had a lot of good things to say, but no he did not create the support he needed from all the various Democratic office-holders across the country. You want to change the Democratic party? You have to do it from within — which is exactly what a new generation of Democrats are doing. Either join them or shut up. I'm interested in talking about how to win the next election, not hearing complaints about who you want to blame for the last one.)

ANNALS OF LEFTIST AUTOPHAGY: The most fun political subplot of the new year? Bernie Sanders fans hating Beto O’Rourke.

The winner of that battle will have to face this one: Joy Reid’s Racial Test: Democrats ‘Can’t Run Two White Guys’ in 2020.

I’m so old, I can remember when finding guys who can win elections was more important to Democrats than ideological or racial purity.

104Posted at 5:14 pm by Ed Driscoll permalink.gif  

Joy may be right. Its just her opinion but she might be. 

Its a large part of the problem that got Trump elected. Either the electorate is going to conform to what the Dems want to put forward. Or the Dems will have to put forward a candidate their electorate will have no problem showing up for. It can be argued thats exactly what went wrong with Hillary. Russians aside, it was obvious that Bernie was the more popular candidate. And it was obvious that MANY people (by people I mean dems) had a problem with Hillary. To then force us to vote for her or Donald using the super delegates to rig the **** was a mistake as alot of voters decided just to not show up. This is the same thing Joy is talking about here. Giving your electorate that you NEED to vote for you something they dont want and just assuming its going to work cause the other guy is worse and they dont have a choice. Not showing up is a choice! Maybe it will cause we see what happened and learned our lesson. But maybe we didnt. Cant take that chance when the risk is Trump 2020 and beyond. You have to give the people what they want. And they may not want two white dudes. Sorry, but white dudes dont run this **** like they used to. 

The argument can be made that its a stupid mindset. But if people weren't stupid then we wouldn't have Donald Trump as president in the first ****ing place. And lets not pretend that people wont look at this as a form of protest again. "Nominate someone we dont like and we wont vote" should at this point be a valid fear for Democrats. If its not they are idiots and dont deserve the vote. And everyone should be afraid of the prospect of a Trump presidency again.  The electorate has this country by the balls, like it always should have. Our elected officials already know this - its why the repubs been over for Trump/his base and why the Dems are going to fight him wherever they can. 

Excuse me, but Hillary won the primaries without the superdelegates. You know that Bernie tried to hijack the Democrat Party because he's not a Democrat by any means. And his viewpoints were codified into the party platform that Hillary ran on.  Bernie was an unwelcome distraction.

Bernie won some of the caucuses. Notice how the Party and states moved away from caucuses for 2020, and more toward actual vote generating primaries. It's for the best.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

It can be argued thats exactly what went wrong with Hillary. Russians aside, it was obvious that Bernie was the more popular candidate. And it was obvious that MANY people (by people I mean dems) had a problem with Hillary. To then force us to vote for her or Donald using the super delegates to rig the **** was a mistake as alot of voters decided just to not show up. 

And I believe whole Democratic Party plan to make Hillary the candidate was made here:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton met privately Thursday night at the Washington home of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a key supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign, Feinstein said Friday.

She left them in her living room with nothing other than water and comfortable chairs for what she called a positive meeting. No one else was in the room, and no one is giving details of what was discussed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/06/clinton.obama.wrap/index.html

My issue with the Hillary election thing was she didnt have any real competition except for the "fake Democrat".  You're telling me no one else wanted to throw their hat in the ring?  I suspect anyone else who would have wanted a primary run was told it was Hillary's turn.  That was what I had issue with.  That and the superdelegates announcing their backing before a single vote had been cast.

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

To then force us to vote for her or Donald using the super delegates to rig the **** was a mistake as alot of voters decided just to not show up.

. . . or at least it would have been a mistake, if reality was remotely close to that.  

17 minutes ago, Larry said:

. . . or at least it would have been a mistake, if reality was remotely close to that.  

Educate me. I figured i should have read up on it before I posted because this in particular was the "accepted truth" which as we know now usually meant it was a lie. 

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Excuse me, but Hillary won the primaries without the superdelegates. You know that Bernie tried to hijack the Democrat Party because he's not a Democrat by any means. And his viewpoints were codified into the party platform that Hillary ran on.  Bernie was an unwelcome distraction.

Bernie won some of the caucuses. Notice how the Party and states moved away from caucuses for 2020, and more toward actual vote generating primaries. It's for the best.

Ok, that still doesnt change the fact Hillary was so unpopular that the Russians won the election. Which was my point. The dems had a horrible showing and part of that was because people didnt like Hilldog. Dont get me wrong I understand there were factors at play that were beyond her control or even basic fairness. I'm just saying people who didnt like her, but wanted to vote dem, felt like they didnt have a choice. And that ultimately hurt the dems. 

I'm not trying to Hilldog as a candidate. I'm arguing what was viewed as the dems favoring her and how it negatively effected them. 

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

My issue with the Hillary election thing was she didnt have any real competition except for the "fake Democrat".  You're telling me no one else wanted to throw their hat in the ring?  I suspect anyone else who would have wanted a primary run was told it was Hillary's turn.  That was what I had issue with.  That and the superdelegates announcing their backing before a single vote had been cast.

This is the attitude I'm trying to say the dems need to be wary of in 2020. 

On 12/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, No Excuses said:

The next time Democrat’s take control of both chambers of Congress and the WH, they should nuke the legislative filibuster. Don’t think twice about it. 

Didn't Reid say that was what they were going to do?

Just now, Llevron said:

Educate me. I figured i should have read up on it before I posted because this in particular was the "accepted truth" which as we know now usually meant it was a lie. 

1)  The Super Delegates were meaningless.  Only way the super delegates could have counted was if they had voted 88% for Bernie, then they could have overcome the fact that Hillary had earned more pledged delegates, 2205-1846.  

2)  The reason Hillary had more delegates, was because she won most of the primaries.  

Note:  I was under the impression that Bernie didn't win any primaries, only caucuses.  But checking the Wiki link above, it looks like that was incorrect.  Looks like he won NH, VT, OK, MI, WI, RI, IN, OR, and MN.  

Now, the primaries Bernie lost, he still got lots of votes.  Looks like nationwide, he got 43% of the vote.  Which is certainly something to be proud of.  It's a significant chunk.  

It's just not enough to win.  

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The Dems got what they deserve.

The fact Obama had a real race with Hillary in 2008 is what made him a better candidate.  If Hillary had a real race and still came out on top; then maybe she would've been better prepared for the fall race against Donald.

AS for 2020, you are going to need someone who can go toe to toe with Trump. Hit him hard and knock him back.

I don't see any minority being on the Top of the ticket that can do that. I'm also not sure there's a female candidate that can do that.  Having the minority or woman candidate as veep is a lock but the white male maybe the only one who can beat Trump.

Archived