Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Share those pics part 2

PCS

8 hours ago, China said:

Our local photography shop does it:  Dominion Camera.

http://dominioncamera.com/film-processing.html

Yeah, I called them and 7 dollars a roll is reasonable, but to scan it to a CD is 5 dollars per roll.  So it's really 12 dollars a roll, which is a little pricey.  I should probably just bite the bullet and get a film scanner, have them do the dirty work and scan it myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 11:53 PM, China said:

Our local photography shop does it:  Dominion Camera.

http://dominioncamera.com/film-processing.html

On 4/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, I called them and 7 dollars a roll is reasonable, but to scan it to a CD is 5 dollars per roll.  So it's really 12 dollars a roll, which is a little pricey.  I should probably just bite the bullet and get a film scanner, have them do the dirty work and scan it myself.

I've got black and white film sitting on my desk, some 35 mm and some 120..... 

and from that website it is going to cost $60 per roll .... and not even going to get prints...?!??!?   

that is insane

• 2 weeks later...

Provo Falls. Yeah. Lot's of tourists but one of the highlights of the Northern part of the state. Way in 1985 I went there for the first time and that's the place where I started to get artsy with photography. Had no idea I'd be living about 45 minutes away from there just a few years later. From that spot in the pic,(when the snow is finally just about melted),you can walk about a half mile or more along the river for more waterfalls. Bit rocky at times,but follow the river near a mile,(including when it dog legs to the left),and there's some hidden falls that are spectacular when they are letting water out of the reservoirs. Memory lane. ;) 

Meanwhile back in neck of the woods. 

UH1A4039-Edit-Edit-600x400.jpg

UH1A2678-Edit-600x400.jpg

UH1A4239-600x400.jpg

UH1A3356-Edit-Edit-600x480.jpg

UH1A4324-600x400.jpg

• 1 month later...

And now for something a bit different. The background is a backdrop I Google Image searched and is on my iPad. The figure is a Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight from the 6" Black Series by Hasbro. Lightsaber effect is straight up done in Photoshop & the original pic of Luke posed in front of the iPad was taken with an iPhone X. 

This was kind of a mock up/trial run for what I eventually want to start doing which is more physical background type stuff rather the "prequelesque" digital ones. :)

LukeLit.thumb.gif.74e6f490d97e6f33ba910b64e26d6aee.gif

• 1 month later...
On June 25, 2018 at 11:32 PM, TK said:

And now for something a bit different. The background is a backdrop I Google Image searched and is on my iPad. The figure is a Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight from the 6" Black Series by Hasbro. Lightsaber effect is straight up done in Photoshop & the original pic of Luke posed in front of the iPad was taken with an iPhone X. 

This was kind of a mock up/trial run for what I eventually want to start doing which is more physical background type stuff rather the "prequelesque" digital ones. :)

When I first saw this I didn't actually read the commentary. I thought it was 3D with some effects. :)

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Forgot to share these.  Tried for the first time to get firework pics on July 4th.  Not great but I hadn't done it before.

_DSC0460.NEF

_DSC0461.NEF

_DSC0468.NEF

_DSC0472.NEF

_DSC0481.NEF

Edit:  Not sure why they aren't showing.  Should be able to click on them though.

Raw NEF files arent a common internet format. Convert them (as copies) to jpg. 

Try a "save as" in whatever you are using to view them. Look for options. 

If you cant do it that way you many need some kind of image editing software like photoshop. I'm not sure what platform you are using, PC or Mac but do a google search for "save NEF as Jpg" and see what comes up for free.

Mill Mountain Star.

Probably explains why we have so many dumbass cowboy fans running around the Valley. 

IMG_9570.jpg

6 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

When I first saw this I didn't actually read the commentary. I thought it was 3D with some effects. :)

36224602_10215946147422352_2002924918651486208_n.jpg

51 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

@PCS out of curiosity, how much editing are you doing on those pics?  I hate editing but most of my pics don't look that good.

I keep it to a minimum for most pics,unless I'm feeling "artsy". I have a whole gallery for that and I readily admit I had fun with those shots. I shoot in "faithful" style. Meaning things are subdued and even a little dull. I find that the camera's auto settings for styles like "landscape","portrait",ect. just don't quite capture what I see,(cameras tend to to that),so prefer that setting so I can adjust temperatures,colors,and sharpness myself. I spend usually about 5 minutes or less per pic. No more than 10.  Any more than that and it was probably not the best of shots,(or I haven't cleaned the sensor in awhile. :( ). The exceptions to that rule would be focus stacking shots or HDR. I use external filters for some scenes,(gradual ND at various stops are my favorite),to help manipulate the scene before it ever hits the sensor. Figure less time developing means more time photographing. :) 

1 hour ago, PCS said:

Tried something similar about 10 years ago with a couple of figures from the first round of Marvel Legends figures. Failed. ;) 

This **** can get expensive. 

http://galactictradingpost.com/

Here's a few that inspired this....

26864314_212815155942993_671806034829901

21827566_115479759197762_617497628077404

20759294_452998201748766_858094264846909

Then there's this dude in Texas who goes even further & "weathers" up his figures. I believe he's a helicopter mechanic because he uses them as backgrounds/environments for his shoots.

image.png.834bde5ebadfa8f642b53bb995148cd7.pngimage.png.c9e964d7f47b96006b7bd06d0b75a99e.png

image.png.2c7cbedeb5b5c740fc80c807b5a52cf7.png

image.png.4428d1efa8204f6b629655a80a005f42.png

image.png.40667e7e14a77414ba7f4eb2633eb9cc.png

27 minutes ago, PCS said:

I keep it to a minimum for most pics,unless I'm feeling "artsy". I have a whole gallery for that and I readily admit I had fun with those shots. I shoot in "faithful" style. Meaning things are subdued and even a little dull. I find that the camera's auto settings for styles like "landscape","portrait",ect. just don't quite capture what I see,(cameras tend to to that),so prefer that setting so I can adjust temperatures,colors,and sharpness myself. I spend usually about 5 minutes or less per pic. No more than 10.  Any more than that and it was probably not the best of shots,(or I haven't cleaned the sensor in awhile. :( ). The exceptions to that rule would be focus stacking shots or HDR. I use external filters for some scenes,(gradual ND at various stops are my favorite),to help manipulate the scene before it ever hits the sensor. Figure less time developing means more time photographing. :) 

Is that "faithful" style a camera setting?  I usually shoot Manual and play around with it.  I only use the various auto settings when I see something that I wasn't planning on shooting that may disappear soon.  For example, a bird or something I will shoot in an auto setting then switch to manual and play with it until I am happy or it flies away.  As for filters, I pretty much always have a UV filter on.  I've only ever used ND filters for things like waterfall shots where I need a long exposure and it is bright out.  Do they help with other types of shots?  What effect do you get from that?

Sorry but I'm very much on the amateur side of amateur photography.  Just got an entry level DSLR (Nikon D3200) a bit ago so I still have a lot to learn.

Even though my wife has a Nikon d750,I'm still not completely familiar with the Nikon dslrs. That said,yes the faithful style is an in camera setting. Your camera should have something similar. Should find it in the picture controls part of the menu. Keep using that auto setting for awhile until you really get used to the camera,(read some stuff about the camera,shoot a few hundred pics. Read some more stuff about the camera,shoot a few hundred pics. Rinse repeat. ;) ). After awhile,you'll instinctively know the settings you'll want for the scene or at least come close then start dialing things in. ND filters can help you control the depth of field in some of your photos by the way they knock down the light.  Standard ND affects the whole shot so the lighting differences between the brightest part of the scene and the darkest part of the scene can't be to large,(unless that's an effect you want in the shot). You can blur clouds,people,cars,and so on. Just depends on what you're trying to do with the shot.  

Archived