Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Kelley vs. Samaje Perine, Preseason Week 2

freakofthesouth

Not to jinx it but Kirk seems to do well getting rid of the ball when trouble is coming. Chuck it in the stands, and live for another series.

Regardless, Gruden should also not consistently put Perine into a position to be the difference between Kirk getting destroyed or not. Our OL miss assignments and cause the QB to take hits too. OL and TEs miss blocks, and our RBs get smoked.

He could have Perine be the hot route, or always have a short hot route called with a young back in the game. Being an annual concern with young backs, run a limited set of plays early on where Perine's blitz pickup is static / easy to understand. I think a young back could be tested extensively on his knowledge and abilities long before game 1.

If there was a big problem there, I would think we would be hearing about it by now.

I'm not sold on either one right now.

Like others have mentioned, Perine was going off against number 2s.  Our run blocking with starters was powerless against Green Bay with Kelly getting hit in the backfield or entire line either stopped or pushed back on short yardage plays.  Our most talented back is CT, but he's too small and will get broken up if we give him the touches he deserves.

I'm really worried about our run game so far, it looks really bad.

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Keim (I believe) was on the other local sports station the other day and said that essentially the only learning curve they're dealing with in regards to Perine, is pass pro, and that's to be expected... He didnt indicate it was concerning or slowed by any reason. 

Keim on Perine's pass pro:

That guy could start: Running back Samaje Perine. He looked much improved Saturday after a tough showing against Baltimore. And he still has work to do to be truly ready for a starting job. But Perine ran more decisive and with power -- he excels at yards after contact. Perine, who gained 45 yards on eight carries, also appeared to handle protection duties better, proving to be a quick study.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32641/redskins-offense-kirk-cousins-cant-find-a-rhythm-in-loss-to-packers

Randy Jordan speaks on Perine's development and coachability, per Keim:

Running backs coach Randy Jordan loved how Perine handled two blitz pickups in a one-on-one drill, positioning himself properly. But head coach Jay Gruden said that the Packers will naturally show different looks than what Baltimore did, which makes the game a good test for Perine. The same will be true in the third preseason game vs. Cincinnati.

“How we adjust, how we plan and how he adjusts to each different protection is going to be how successful he can be as a running back in the NFL,” Gruden said.

Chris Thompson obviously is as good as anybody, but we’ve got to get another guy to be able to step up and do that. And that’s hard. We change protections at the line of scrimmage like that ... and they have to adjust -- not only adjust to the right person, but adjust and get their body in the right spot and then finish the block.”

That’s what caused problems in the opener against Baltimore -- but also some optimism. There were two times when Perine was positioned to the right of the quarterback in shotgun formation and had to pick up a blitz from the other side. On the first one, Perine arrived just in time to shove the strong safety out of the way.

“He did his job, but the technique was wrong in terms of closing the gap and going from inside-out,” Jordan said. “But this is the thing I love about him: He can quickly adapt. They came with the same blitz, same protection. He’s crossing the quarterback and he comes over face-to-face, grill-to-grill. Done.”

"http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32617/pass-protection-key-to-redskins-rookie-samaje-perines-play-time

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Like others have mentioned, Perine was going off against number 2s.  Our run blocking with starters was powerless against Green Bay with Kelly getting hit in the backfield or entire line either stopped or pushed back on short yardage plays.  Our most talented back is CT, but he's too small and will get broken up if we give him the touches he deserves.

Renegade I don't think any of us should be sold on anything after two preseason games.

Also want to point out that Robert Kelley was stopped on a 4th and 1 against GB's backups; and sort of highlighting the play where Perine effectively outruns the angle from LB #50, who started for GB, that's sort of telling as well, so it's not that B n W 1s vs 2s.

also re: being worried about the running game so far, here's what Trent has to say:

"You're not gonna open the game just gashing people," Williams said. "Running the ball is like pounding a rock. You never make a rock break when you first strike it. You have to continue to hit and continue to hit and learn how they play different stuff and make sideline adjustments and mix stuff up and pop a little more. It's hard to do that in one half or on your first couple drives."

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32643/redskins-irritated-but-not-worried-about-sputtering-run-game

Which of these RBs can best split rocks?  That's the question.

I truly do believe them when they say they're dedicated to pounding the rock and that makes me as excited as anyone. Not because I think we'll be good at it, but because I enjoy watching that more than passing every down, it speeds the game up and it will help our defense a lot.

I think Kelley and Perine will be a good powerful duo for the entire season, able to pound late in games, later in Dec and that's important.

I've been a big CT fan since day one and glad we've shown him patience.

1 minute ago, diehardskinsfan said:

Is it possible that our rushing attack is slow moving due to missing pieces in the passing game? Preseason ball is pretty vanilla anyway. But with JR out of the line up and Doctson not really playing with the 1's it probably makes it easier for defenses to stack the box and limit production. 

Was just reading about JR's return to practice, thinking of how much a difference maker that will be- with the new WRs, it's good to lean on what's familiar and have the new guys then settle into that momentum.  Perfect timing.

Also yeah I noticed A LOT of stacked boxes and press coverage through two weeks.  Gotta figure you would check out of the run with some of the fronts shown... vanilla calls and different goals in the preseason... with execution being the key regardless of defensive alignment.

Sorry for being off topic but I noticed the play of the 2nd O-line, particularly C and LG. I get it's 2nd team D but the OL was run blocking much more effectively that the 1st OL. It was clear who was fighting for a job.

On topic....Perine looks like a much more dangerous RB that Kelly. Hope he starts sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, diehardskinsfan said:

Is it possible that our rushing attack is slow moving due to missing pieces in the passing game? Preseason ball is pretty vanilla anyway. But with JR out of the line up and Doctson not really playing with the 1's it probably makes it easier for defenses to stack the box and limit production. 

If Reed is on the field, a backer and/or safety will probably be on him, but his blocking is less than feminine.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

OP provides a pretty good video showing that Kelley's vision and cut decisions are a considerable contributor to the run game woes. OL does need to step it up more, but I firmly believe Perine has better vision plus he can actually break a tackle which our run game desperately needs. He's already leaps and bounds better at pass catching than Kelley. 

I'm a Kelley fan.  Love his story and the kid can play.  Perine is just....better.  It translates on the field.  The first preseason game he had the jitters.  It is to be expected, in your first real NFL pretend action.  Second game, huge improvement.  His arrow is pointing up, and that is great.  What is even better is Kelley and he can split the load.  Then we will throw in CT, the variable you must account for.  I like all three backs, and used correctly, they will do very well.  The bellcow, to me though, has to be Perine eventually. I REALLY want to see him get time with our ones vs their ones.  That will be very telling. 

Remember Alfred Morris in the 2012 pre season? Even though he at first ran against 2nd/3rd teamers, it was CLEAR he was the best back on the team. Its like when Sean Taylor dominated 2nd stringers in the 2004 pre season. You can just tell with some guys. Perine reminds me a lot of 2012 Morris.

I don't care if he can't pass block. Just send him out on routes. On 3rd down Thompson will be in anyway.

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

OP provides a pretty good video showing that Kelley's vision and cut decisions are a considerable contributor to the run game woes. 

Maybe its because we were comparing him to Matt Jones, but I didn't hear us saying that last year.  Agreed its a combo of different things, but I'm not ready to turn on Kelly so fast for the shiny new toy.  We'll see more on Sunday, hopefully.

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm wondering and this is an absolute guess, but perhaps Long was already dealing with an injury and this is what's leading to being blown up in the backfield consistently.

14 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

@Koolblue13 could be... would explain how he played Saturday, and it all of a sudden came out Monday that he had his knee scoped. 

Looks like that's exactly what it was according to Gruden from today's presser: 

On C Spencer Long:

“You know what, he has been hobbling a little bit. It has been bothering him. He’s been trying to fight through it. He does not like to miss a rep. He’s a very competitive guy and unfortunately you could see it starting to bother him. After the game, he tried to fight through the whole first half against Green Bay and he just said he couldn’t really go. We wanted to get it checked out and found out he had some meniscus issues and got it fixed up.”

Now I wonder if Sherff is going through something similar? Hasn't played like himself, yet. 

5 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Looks like that's exactly what it was according to Gruden from today's presser: 

Now I wonder if Sherff is going through something similar? Hasn't played like himself, yet. 

Perhaps. The Center not pulling his weight is a pretty big deal and it's obviously affecting both Guards, although maybe that's why Long and Scherff skipped Trents camp.

1 hour ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Mack Brown>>>>>>>>>>>Kelley

RBs should be Perine, Brown, & Thompson.....

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

No, seriously though, stop doing that. There's a reason he hasn't made it off the PS and a reason he's been cut and available before. :chair:

Looks like Cooley is reading this thread!

Also predicting Perine is starter by week 4ish.

---

“I don’t feel like it should be a competition at all,” he said on his ESPN 980 program. “I feel like Samaje Perine’s the better back. But that’s just me. There are things that I could not be aware of and I could be missing. And Rob could be more adept at picking up the pass plays, the blitzes, he could be a good check-down player, but Samaje Perine’s a better back. That’s just simple. And in all fairness, it’s not a slight to Rob Kelley. Samaje Perine has natural abilities that Rob or Matt Jones or Mack Brown don’t have. … [The starter] might not be Samaje Perine until Week 4, Week 5 because Samaje Perine might not be ready. But it is going to be [Perine eventually]. I’ll tell you right now, it isgoing to be.”

AIbEiAIAAABDCIqH3KOk7u7beyILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDFlMTA5MmQyNjRlNmRiYjRkNTdlZDAwNGEzMjBkYjk0MmRjMjY5ZmMwAcj4xDyBN_Fp05HLfMumbN2DP7ft?sz=32

Archived