Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Kirk Cousins, Jay Gruden seek rhythm with new playcalling setup

TSO

From Hap in BRBN... Great article by John Keim here, thought it deserved its own thread. Make sure you click on the link, it's totally worth it and there's a lot more than I posted here. :) 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32603/kirk-cousins-jay-gruden-seek-rhythm-with-new-play-calling-setup

ASHBURN, Virginia -- At times in the past, former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay continued dishing advice to his quarterback even after finishing the play call. Watch for the free safety. Be aware of the potential blitz.

Sometimes Kirk Cousins wanted to hear the tips; other times he'd be relaying the play in the huddle as McVay prattled on. Even then Cousins didn't mind the extra chatter.

"Give me those tips as you call the play and talk to me," Cousins said. "You can't overload me. I liked the security blanket. I said, 'hey if you talk too much I'll tune you out but it won't bother me."

Though McVay and Gruden both know offense, they also take different approaches.

"Jay's not a wordy guy," Cousins said.

"He won't keep an ongoing conversation. It'll be, call the play and let me go run it. As I play longer that could be a good formula, because I have more under my belt to know how to handle myself."

Minimalist approach

Cousins has started 33 games the past two seasons, including one playoff contest, and now has 42 starts. He doesn't know everything, but he's much smarter now.

Gruden knows this, so his goal is to relay the play to Cousins as fast as possible.

Click on the link for a lot more

I think the change from McVay to Gruden is a bit of an undersold story this offseason. Reading this article, I like what I hear though. It seems like Kirk will not only have more power in general, but he'll also have more time to change things at the LOS. 

McVay did bring a more structured approach, though. We'll see which one ends up being better. 

"Get it to him fast and if he has to audible and get to a better play, he'll have time to do that at the line," Gruden said. "Sometimes I'll say 'heads up for this front' or 'watch for this blitz' or 'get to an audible.' But other than that, I'm giving him just the play. During the week we should have schooled him on what to do on different things."

@RandyHolt

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Wow, I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. One of the reasons I wanted a LTD. 

Letting DJax and Garcon walk and letting Kirk take the reigns, with some younger WRs and taking the training wheels off the offense was all part of the game pan the last couple of years.

I think our Offense will be dynamic this year, like we haven't seen. Our defense will be better too.

Damn you subs, I'm starting to get excited.

IF Kirk comes out this season with a much longer leash and is successful, I feel it actually bodes well to us getting a deal done with him.  He's said that he basically needs to feel wanted, and needs to be comfortable.  Clearly if this article is accurate, Gruden trusts him.  Beyond money, another form of wanting to feel 'wanted' is being trusted by the big cheese.  If you feel you have confidence and support.. that's a HUGE part of being comfortable in any situation.  I might be looking through rose colored glasses here but I'm getting excited too!  :cheers:

I think flexibility at the line is what can help make a good QB, great. Don't make him the highest paid QB ever without at least trying. Really push the QB to find his ceiling, versus just test him on methodically executing a static play call thousands of times a year over his entire career.  The players are the true talents of the game. We don't pay to see puppet masters pulling strings, we come to see the QB lead us to victory.  A great QB doesn't need a guy whispering in his ear every single play. But he'll need a smart OC to get out of the way eventually. 

I have long thought that if a coach does not grant powers, he should at least have his QB occasionally pretend he does, especially when the D is showing something pre-snap that is going to stuff the play anyways. Tap his head. Point deep. See if you can make the D change.  You see the 3rd base coach in baseball giving bull **** signs all game long. For 162 games.  There is an awful lot of deception as an integral part of football.

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

IF Kirk comes out this season with a much longer leash and is successful, I feel it actually bodes well to us getting a deal done with him.  He's said that he basically needs to feel wanted, and needs to be comfortable.  Clearly if this article is accurate, Gruden trusts him.  Beyond money, another form of wanting to feel 'wanted' is being trusted by the big cheese.  If you feel you have confidence and support.. that's a HUGE part of being comfortable in any situation.  I might be looking through rose colored glasses here but I'm getting excited too!  :cheers:

I agree!

Projecting, but I also feel it shows the head coach and FO are on same page: FO wanting to see more and Gruden's philosophy (Trusting the QB) aligning with Kirk being given the opportunity to display more Value. 

Interesting and it does excite as a fan that represents the middle area of Kirk and FO. 

Get it done, Kirk! 

While many were talking, even last year, about Kirk's evolution as a QB and how that'll revolve around him making more plays in an improvisational manner... I maintained that, while that was important, it's not his game and he can be great without improving there significantly. 

How? By exactly what he mentioned in this article regarding Peyton Manning. I always felt that it was more important for him to continue to improve the "field general" aspect of his game versus anything else. QBs like Manning and Brady don't thrive off of making plays outside of the system (or pocket for that matter). They excel at exploiting defense's, adjusting to what other teams are doing to them, and mastering their offense. 

That's where I believe Kirk is at, himself. He has those specific skills to do it. And he's closer than some will give him credit for to it. 

Honestly, I feel like that's a part of his game that's entirely undersold. It's not just quick decision making, it's his cadence, recognizing defense's and changing protections as necessary, etc... that aren't mentioned enough. He does things as a QB we simply haven't seen in forever with the Skins. 

So it's good to hear him talk about improving that part of it, along with what he's already mentioned numerous times this offseason about improving on his "situational awareness".

I personally like hearing that kind of stuff more than "making plays with his feet" and the like. 

@thesubmittedone

Brady makes many plays outside the system. Yes, in a good portion games he's not required to do so, because of his elite level of play, but against better defenses, that's almost a requirement.

Peyton is a better comparison, in my opinion-- The GOAT in preparation. Though, Many argue 1 of the variables to the Colts' struggles in the postseason, were due to his inability to make plays outside the system in big games. 

Obviously, we are comparing him to living Legends of the game though :)

I like the idea of a QB having to show this ability before being rewarded as if he does. I understand 100% this goes against conventional thinking of how to deal with QBs, but the risk for the players has decreased in the last 10 years, requiring FOs to evolve with deal making. 

Truly excited about Gruden giving him more control and believe there's potential for Kirk and the offense to improve.  Cool article!

18 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

So it's good to hear him talk about improving that part of it, along with what he's already mentioned numerous times this offseason about improving on his "situational awareness".

I personally like hearing that kind of stuff more than "making plays with his feet" and the like. 

I couldnt agree more. If Kirk flourishes after being "given the keys", it only helps the prospects of his long term future here.

But to your point about making off-schedule plays/plays with his feet: I think we will also see an uptick in this aspect of his game as well this year. Not only is his athleticism a tad underrated because of his preference to avoid putting himself in a play/situation where using it would be necessary in the first place... I think his offensive weapons are now the type that better lend themselves to him being able to make those improv plays. Especially in the red-zone.

Great article.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Brady makes many plays outside the system.

Maybe... but the stat showing just how bad Brady's QB rating drops when he throws the ball outside of 1 or 2 seconds (can't remember the exact number) would indicate otherwise. I'll see if I can find it. 

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

But to your point about making off-schedule plays/plays with his feet: I think we will also see an uptick in this aspect of his game as well this year.

Yup, don't get me wrong, I think that's important and Kirk has an underrated level of athleticism that he should use more often... but it's just not as important as the other part of his game that he's already really good at. 

Basically, my point is I'd rather him take what he's really good at and become great at it since he's closer to that, than something he's not very good at and just become good at it.

Obviously, would be nice if both happens. And he even becomes great at using his legs and/or improvising, lol. Why not, right?  

5 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Maybe... but the stat showing just how bad Brady's QB rating drops when he throws the ball outside of 1 or 2 seconds (can't remember the exact number) would indicate otherwise. I'll see if I can find it. 

I remember it being posted.

I agree, even for the Legends, taking away the first and second read, the level effectiveness decreases.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I agree, even for the Legends, taking away the first and second read, the level effectiveness decreases.

It didn't just "decrease" his "level of effectiveness". It was real bad.

Which is ok, because he's arguably the greatest of all time at avoiding that in the first place and he's spot on with his first or second read a ridiculous amount of the time. 

Point is, that stat makes it hard for me to buy your assertion that he "makes plays outside the system". It's definitely a rarity. It's not just the stat, it's what I noticed myself watching him. It's just rare to see him HAVE to improvise because he's so damn good at recognizing where to go with the ball at all times but, when he does, it doesn't look good. That stat verifies it.  

So, yeah, I'm hoping that's where Kirk elevates his game more than anything else. 

I am not really surprised at the growing pains. He really has (especially in these two preseason games) a brand new receiving crew and Gruden's playcalling has got to be at least a bit different than McVay's.

Hopefully, they can all get on the same field soon. After that, hopefully they can get on the same page.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I am not really surprised at the growing pains. He really has (especially in these two preseason games) a brand new receiving crew and Gruden's playcalling has got to be at least a bit different than McVay's.

Hopefully, they can all get on the same field soon. After that, hopefully they can get on the same page.

Why does it ALWAYS seem to take our guys longer to adjust than other teams players? What have they been doing all this offseason? And Kirk is a veteran, it shouldn't take until week 3 for these guys to start clicking.

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

Why does it ALWAYS seem to take our guys longer to adjust than other teams players? What have they been doing all this offseason? And Kirk is a veteran, it shouldn't take until week 3 for these guys to start clicking.

Because you mostly only hear about the successes. Also, for the most you are not hanging on every player hoping they are the next URFA turned pro-bowler (meaning all of us crazed fans, not just you). But the fact is other teams have quite a few fall short of expectations just like us. And it just takes some players time to develop. What this team has not done is have enough patience sometimes. But even that's a tight rope. How long is too long to let a guy develop?

Also, and I can't stress this enough, while the fans really want to basically see mid season football with few mistakes and beating the **** out of the other teams (I know, I know, "I just want to see consistency') - sorry, whoever saying that is not being truthful. We all want blood every play - and that's OK. It's called being a fan.), that is just not the focus for pre-season. About 80% of the roster is and has been set. But that leaves 50 guys playing 10 to 15 spots and then the PS. They need to get these guys work.

As a fan it can be frustrating as hell. But as long as they show up for the season, all will be forgiven.

I think it's also because not only are we transitioning to a new receiving squad, but so many of the people we expect to be counting on are hurt or are recovering from injuries. For example, Doctson and Crowder both got their first snaps this week and the offense looked a bit better, but there's the rust.

Well last night showed Kirk and Jay are wrong and just now are people more starting to see it. We went a wrong direction but we don't have to keep going. Look for a change at the coach and qb by next year. I prefer to take what hope and glory looked like in 2012 over the disapoitment of the last two seasons. And funny how no running game since AlMo is gone too. More bad choices.

all we need to do is get kirk some chickens

rockychicken.jpg

speed....Speed....SPEED!

5 minutes ago, RGthreenie said:

Well last night showed Kirk and Jay are wrong and just now are people more starting to see it. We went a wrong direction but we don't have to keep going. Look for a change at the coach and qb by next year. I prefer to take what hope and glory looked like in 2012 over the disapoitment of the last two seasons. And funny how no running game since AlMo is gone too. More bad choices.

You are making the bad choices by posting that nonsense

Archived