Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think these things should all be handled above board.  No masses gathering, etc.  Let the law do its work.

There is a movement to remove local

high school names Robert E Lee and JEB Stuart.  On a FB group that I'm in that shared history and memory of Springfield (VA), the notion of changing Robert E Lee High School's name is WILDLY unpopular amongst people who grew up in the area and went to ththe school.  Not that they are racist, per se, but it's taking away the identity of their childhood.

It's tough do to when state governments passed laws specifically to protect confederate statues from being removed by local municipalities. 

As someone that went to JEB Stuart, I can say I was against changing the name. The primary reason being is that nobody cared when we were in HS what the name of the school was and Stuart is one of the most diverse HS in the country. Secondary reasons: I have a problem with nobody talking about the quality education at the school currently, what can really be done to help students coming out of the school to achieve success and that it seemed to be a crusade by suburban white people. (One of whom accused me of being a bigot simply for asking how far people are willing to go when it comes to removing statues and monuments of slave owners. She also invoked Hilter and Germany right away.) 

Don't get me wrong, I get the symbolic aspect of it, but if one is going to crusade against changing the name of a HS, that should just be the tip of the iceberg if you are really concerned about equality. 

Anyway, I do think the conversation needs to take place about how far this is going to go and what are the reasons for it. 

15 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Can we please do something about all the high schools named after leading Confederate traitors? 

On a side note, it would be so much easier if they named public buildings and schools and such like they name cars.  Just make something up.  

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is going to be Hell to pay for Democrats for this.  It intensely galvanizes opposition in the South.

As opposed to how open-minded the South is to Democrats at this point?

15 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Here's my thing: I don't really care.  If you want to take down statues of confederates, I'm going to be ok with it.  But you need to answer the "why" for me.  Are you actually upset about a statue?  Or is this your way of signaling to the world your superior morals? I'm a 30 something white guy, these statues dont bother me.  If it's difficult for others, let's help them feel comfortable. If it means tearing down some statues then that's a concession that I feel a reasonable person can make.  What are some of these statues doing there anyway?  Lots of them don't seem to make logical sense contextually.  

Same goes for people protecting the statues.  Why?  Are you trying to "protect free speech" or are you using that as a veil to hide racist motives?  When white supremacists show up I'm going to dock you very valuable points in the game of social correctness.  I guess I want a discussion to take place before we all show up in riot gear wielding weapons and running over each other in cars demanding things happen.  

what I really hope we don't lose is our landmarks.  Places where significant events in history took place.  The civil war is the deadliest war in American history by a long shot.  The death toll alone is remarkable and stands the test of time.  There's much to be learned from it even to this day.  I walk in Richmond every day and can find a new plaque telling me what happened here 150 years ago.  It's not good or bad, it's just statements of fact about the war.  The southern White House, the houses and churches that were used as hospitals, the buildings burned, yes even monument Avenue.  

The question here is what is the purpose of a monument - to remember? to honor? to educate?

The Museum of the Confederacy is fascinating in the sense that once you walk through it, you begin to think that the Confederates were the good guys. The entirety of Richmond is like a monument to noble men who only wanted a land where they would be permitted to own slaves as God intended.

• Like 6

Robert E Lee himself gets right to the point.  "I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered."

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, HooHog said:

Robert E Lee himself gets right to the point.  "I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the example of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered."

That is a great quote

8 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

History don't remember losers

Get that **** outta here, "southern pride" my ass 

Also Virginia was a heavy advocate of Confederation, remember the capitol was in Richmond and Lee was a Virginia. They still have Lee Highway (Rt 29) named after him. The Statues gotta go though but do you think there'd be enough traction to rename streets? I mean..."Jefferson Davis Highway." "Lee Highway". 

I have family that live on a street named after Stonewall Jackson's horse.  I don't think Little Sorrel had a choice on which side to follow.  Can his name stay?  

And speaking of horses why not just remove Lee from Monument Ave statue and leave Traveller up there?  

I think after Trump's press conference we'll be seeing a lot more of what we saw in Durham and probably some literal battles over these monuments and similar attacks and vandalism on civil rights monuments from the alt-right. (We've already seen some plans for bombings that got stopped, hopefully we won't be seeing some that get through)

Edited by visionary

Every school where I count as "my schoolin'" is named after a Civil War person.  Every single one.  My entire home town is a friggin' memorial...everyone had a HQ, it's absolutely beautiful...except, it's not. 

But I never had it hit me like it did this last weekend...And a couple weeks ago, when a little old white couple asked to be moved in my restaurant, and the server in that station knew why, and expressed it to me...to get away from a table of black folks...whose children were proper and polite...and totally fun & smart, we all did the table puzzle together, so guess whose station I kept stopping by, and guess which table I paid attention to, even though it wouldn't be my tip? 

What I know is that family will come back.  I made sure of it.  (if just to annoy the ignorant folks). 

We can all do with a little less ignorance. 

• Like 1

DURHAM - The protester who climbed a ladder to help bring down a Confederate soldier statue was arrested Tuesday, and Sheriff Mike Andrews said his office will pursue felony charges against others.

“Let me be clear, no one is getting away with what happened,” Andrews said.

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article167300007.html

I think most of us knew this was coming.  Next time they tear one down, don't talk about who did what and no pictures until after it's down.  

• Like 1