Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

but this, below, is really what i came to post just now :P

But that's not really what I came to talk about. 

Came to talk about the draft. 

• Haha 1

Remember when there was a debate whether the President was racist? Pretty incredible that some are still trying to have that debate.

Just now, Llevron said:

Thats why I dont like CNN. They have nothing to offer other than drama. That is their brand. 

They've fallen into the trap of thinking journalistic fairness means giving both "sides" equal voice. Sometimes, fairness is being bluntly truthful.

• Thanks 1

this was prompted by a post in another thread, but my thoughts  would be off topic there :P

most of my life i've watched the right/gop/whatever minimize racism (specifically white/black is what i'm focusing on here) in a myriad of manners or just deny it's of any significant level in their party.

there was some copping to it at least somewhat at times, to the credit of those gopers---like bob dole even.

in my yute (that's not an alaskan dwelling, that's a young person) i'd ask "so after the civil war, that nationwide level of difference on race/blacks/slavery that was key in leading to such a thing as that horrendous war, all that history and emotion and thinking just died out in a few generations for the most part?"

of course history showed it stayed active in this nation, and often violent, no matter that much progress was also being made---for cripe's sake, just think for a minute if you're a goper

racial issues/racism permeated the nation; it was institutionalized over centuries; millions upon millions held, passed on, and millions continue to hold onto racist sentiments even if "in total" it is 'less" then it was in the civil war days and "things are so much better for blacks" now

so, as i said here in the past (and was even chided by a lib for it :D) when you think "yeah, there are logically millions of adults still alive with some degree of racism, from virulent to passive, major to minor, of even just this specific form," and then you ask yourself "well, to the extent they engage politically, are they likely to affiliate with the dems or the gopers?"

whatever other bigotry also exists, i'm focusing on just this one to keep it simple, and so observe there are logically likely millions of racists in the gop, and it's still a number that would be a fraction,and i'd say definitely not even close to a majority, but real and quite sizeable

so obviously it's the gopers and not the dems with whom racist would affiliate, and it has been, despite the 6 plus decades of denial i've been alive for---i mean this should be like the sky is blue and the sun yellow

this is just a rational noting of reality

now anecdotally, of the dozens upon dozens  of outright racists i've come across first hand, across this country, well, none of them were dems oddly enough

c'mon man

the gop needs to take ownership, make public admission to the need, and openly work to confront and correct (it won't) or it really may end up with one party or the other dying.... either figuratively or literally....like last time...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In hearing the rhetoric, in seeing its escalation not only in terms of words, but the implementation of interment camps and the rise in hate crime violence I am worried. People asked how could Germany have gone there. How could good people let this happen. Hearing Americans chant while a racist President smiles and eggs on their hate makes me honestly fearful.

I suspect some think I am being hyperbolic, I think I might be, but this mob mentality, this child separation, this shrugging off of child sexual assault, child death in the camps, this increase in attacks against people of color. I don't think what we are witnessing is nothing. I worry that we are doing nothing to kill this hydra other than feeding it and encouraging it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jumbo

im not disagreeing  Just wanted to add

im aware of people that were Democrats their entire life and I didn’t realize they were racist until they were old enough to just not care what anyone thought of them anymore

also aware of a lifelong dem that changed when Obama was elected

You said you never came across one. Just adding my experience to that. 

I unfortunately agree with the rest of it. I say unfortunately because I have spent a significant portion of my life (relative to when one becomes aware of politics) defending and cheering for the republican. It’s not a nice realization to have. 

I also know a lot of republicans and it’s hard to not look at them right now and see racism under it all. And that’s not a fun realization either when it’s someone you actually have a relationship with. 

I got to the outer banks today. Once set up in the campground, noticed some confederate flags. My heart sank. First because I’ve recently (Charlottesville) come to the realization that the heritage argument is bunk so there’s another “good job dip****” moment for being fooled for so long, but second because I immediately thought of the black people (which I assume there some here) in the area that are going on vacation and being “greeted” with such a thing  

third because now that I have children when I have those thoughts they’re quickly followed up with “ugh and i bet they have kids and while I’m concerned about gay marriage being in a 4 year old’s cartoon they’ve got this bull**** to deal with...”

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4

adding to cooked crack's post above

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/25/straight-pride-parade-modesto-california-may-get-approval/1824843001/

more at link

Fliers circulating on social media advertising the event list not just "heterosexuality" but also "western civilization" and "Christianity" as causes of celebration. According to the Anti-Defamation League, white nationalist organizations often use terms like "promoting western civilization" as code words.

"There's essentially a war between two opposing religions. One is Christianity, and the other is satanism and humanism," Don Grundmann, head of the National Straight Pride Coalition, told USA TODAY. 

Describing a "broad cultural attack" on white people, traditional gender roles and "western civilization," Grundmann said "straight pride" as opposed to LGBTQ pride  serves a summation of those opposing religious view points.

Grundmann said he's confident his group will get approval for the event, and he's planning for about 500 people to attend. 

These "straight pride" parades are about celebrating sexual orientation about as much as the Tea Party was actually about taxes. 

Those are just fronts for the rest of their extremist views oh and the racism/sexism/bigotry/homophobia. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

racism/homophobia/sexism are not extremist views in the gop

they're not fully mainstream in the gop either of course, but they're significantly more open and widespread within "conservatism" then just the extreme fringe 

But they have the right.  (Or the far right, as the case may be.)  

What's needed is some kind of creatively appropriate response.  

Glitter bombs?  Hug stations?  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 1