Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

Fuller with an INT and FF deserves a shout out.

Expanding on Joe's stats, ESPN also tracks QB Hits. I want hurries and batted balls - everything!

tackles misc
  TOT SOLO SACKS TFL PD QB HTS TD
Zach Brown 10 5 0 1 0 0 0
Martrell Spaight 9 3 0 0 0 0 0
Ryan Kerrigan 4 4 1 3 0 1 0
Bashaud Breeland 4 2 0 0.5 1 0 0
Fabian Moreau 4 2 0 0 0 0 0
Josh Norman 3 2 0 0 0 0 0
Kendall Fuller 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
Preston Smith 2 2 1 1 1 1 0
Ryan Anderson 2 2 0 1 0 0 0
D.J. Swearinger 2 1 0 0 0 0 0
Quinton Dunbar 2 1 0 0 0 0 0
Matt Ioannidis 2 1 0.5 0.5 0 1 0
Jonathan Allen 2 0 1 1 0 2 0
Niles Paul 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Will Compton 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
Montae Nicholson 1 1 0 0 1 0 0
Junior Galette 1 0 0.5 0.5 1 1 0
Deshazor Everett 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
TEAM 53 29 4 8.5 6 6 0

Allen led the way to 2 hits on Carr :headbang: but as we saw he had multiple DL all over him on some of his sacks.

Saw this in the Twitter thread.  Having a highly regarded position coach pays off:

3021adb8e3fe6e07d2c8d26adaa7fe66_bigger.SiriusXM NFL RadioVerified account @SiriusXMNFL
Redskins DL @jonallen95: Having coach Tomsula has helped me a lot. I've put on 10-15 LB's of muscle since being drafted by the Redskins

--Also, the media wasn't making a big deal out of it, like they did with McVay knows Gruden (and vice versa) in the Rams game, but I'm sure McGee had insider info on the Oakland Oline.

I don't know that I've ever seen a player improve as dramatically as Matt.  He's playing at a pro-bowl level.  Who knew what good coaching, and strength training, could do?  Hail

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen 8h8 hours ago

Crazy: #Redskins coaching film stats credit Matt Ioannidis with a team-high 23 QB pressures-hits. Nobody else has more than 14 (Jon Allen).

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I don't know that I've ever seen a player improve as dramatically as Matt.  He's playing at a pro-bowl level.  Who knew what good coaching, and strength training, could do?  Hail

Crazy: #Redskins coaching film stats credit Matt Ioannidis with a team-high 23 QB pressures-hits. Nobody else has more than 14 (Jon Allen).

I'm just hoping he didn't accidentally switch bags with Trent Murphy and has been helping himself to whatever he found inside......

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Tried looking for a league-wide ranking, but no dice. :(

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

23 QB hits  for Matty the Greek? Thatsunbelievable. I wonder if he was whispering sweet nothings in Carr's ear by the end of the day. Thats getting intimate with the quarterback. I hope he called him the next day to say he had a good time, its the respectful thing to do. 

I took it as he has a combined 23 hurries/hit on QBs for the season.  But that's funny.

5 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Hopefully, Ioannidis will be ready Monday night, as he is now dealing with a sprained rotator cuff injury.

He practiced (limited ) yesterday, and should be good to go, but we'll see.

4 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Hopefully, Ioannidis will be ready Monday night, as he is now dealing with a sprained rotator cuff injury.

Guys like trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Matty the Greek, Ziggy Hood, Jon Allen don't let sprains stop them from playing, they might slow down from injury like Ryan Kerrigan last year had to, but those are guy who walk into the dark alley with you. Tough SOBs. He starts, guaranteed. 

Edit: I shouldn't have left out Morgan Moses either. 

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Not listed in practice today.  He will be a go.  

20 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Guys like trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Matty the Greek, Ziggy Hood, Jon Allen don't let sprains stop them from playing, they might slow down from injury like Ryan Kerrigan last year had to, but those are guy who walk into the dark alley with you. Tough SOBs. He starts, guaranteed. 

Edit: I shouldn't have left out Morgan Moses either. 

100% agree.  THESE are the guys you/we want on our team.  Warriors, because it really is.  Hail

Just our ****ing luck, MattI and Allen who seemed to be dominating, are now ailing. On top of all the others walking wounded, maybe the week 5 bye timing is perfect for us this year.

I wonder if a coach will go run heavy / clock control in part because of injuries on D.  Normally we are told it is done to keep a dominant opposition offense off the field. 

One of the under appreciated aspects of the D - Kerrigan's play against the run.  Yes, the Raiders tried to block him with a receiver on one of his TFLs, but he looks like a different man this year.  Credit the coaching staff too (and maybe some push from Anderson?) for the turnaround.  

Agreed on Kerrigan. It would seem in previous years, Kerrigan would run past the ball carrier and go straight at the QB, I had theorized here that his job was solely to destroy play action. It was the only way I could explain seeing a LB running past the ball carrier. It is becoming clear, that was a Barry directive. Anderson may have helped push him to the next level, and it may have been Manusky as well. Kerrigan is basically our best player (or close to it), and we are seeing that level of play from him thus far. 

Swearinger ailing... just ****ing great. Maybe at strong he won't have to run as much.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Just our ****ing luck, MattI and Allen who seemed to be dominating, are now ailing. On top of all the others walking wounded, maybe the week 5 bye timing is perfect for us this year.

I wonder if a coach will go run heavy / clock control in part because of injuries on D.  Normally we are told it is done to keep a dominant opposition offense off the field. 

During the '92-'93 NBA season, the Warriors were just hobbled by injuries and playing in Boston one night.  Coach Don Nelson decided to go with a pre-shot clock college offense -- basically pass pass pass until 2-3 seconds left and then shoot.  Frustrated the hell out of a superior Celtics team and GSW almost won.  However, you can't just run run run if you don't make the 1st down.

Archived