Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Balkan Insight: Srebrenica Genocide Convicts Return to Freedom

visionary

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/srebrenica-genocide-convicts-return-to-freedom-07-06-2017

Srebrenica Genocide Convicts Return to Freedom

Twelve Bosnian Serbs convicted of genocide have served their sentences and been released - some have returned to live in places where the massacres happened, while others continue to deny that Srebrenica was genocide.

When the 22nd anniversary of the Srebrenica massacres is commemorated on Tuesday, 12 people who were convicted of responsibility for genocide will not be spending the day in prison cells.

Having served their sentences and been released, most of them are now retired and live in either Bosnia and Herzegovina or Serbia - some of them in places where the massacres took place in July 1995, and where survivors and victims’ families are able to see them walking freely in the streets.

Vinko Pandurevic, Ljubomir Borovcanin, Vidoje Blagojevic and Dragan Jokic have all completed the jail terms they were given by the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague.....

Man, this takes me back.  I was part of an SFOR rotation through Bosnia and was responsible for the Banja Luka area.  Actively hunting for war criminals.  It seems like yesterday when the Milosevic siege ended - can't believe that was 16 years ago!

Hmmmm.

Reminds me of when the Khmer Rouge reached a peace settlement with the Cambodian government. One of Pol Pot's chief executioners was walkthe streets of Phnom Penn, someone recognized him, and a crowd almost managed to beat him to death before the police intervened. Hopefully history will repeat itself there.

Archived