Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Damn Good Food

Spaceman Spiff

Sort of a response to the Olive Garden thread.  And perhaps a re-hash of the burger thread...

Just damn good food.  I guess this can be about recipes, but I'm more thinking of food that you can go out and get.  Places to recommend and things to get on the menu, both in the DMV and other areas.

I'm starting this thread because I had one of the best sandwiches I've ever had yesterday and I'm still thinking about it.

I was in Philly (I know, I know...) and was at the Reading Terminal Market.  If you haven't been, GO.  Run.  It's amazing.  It's a giant indoor food market with anything/everything you can think of.  There's smoking hot amish girls making donuts there.  I **** you not.  

Anyway, I was sizing up options and almost went with a burger but this place named Beck's Cajun Cafe caught my eye.  And what specifically caught my eye?  A sandwich called the TrainWreck.  Steak, andouille sausage, salami, cheese, onions and their homemade creole mayo.  On the side I had fried mac n cheese balls with bacon.  

The sandwich was delicious, but a bit of a salt bomb.  I definitely had to chug some water after but it was fantastic.

http://www.beckscajuncafe.com/

Becks-Train-Wreck-937x624.jpg

I have a couple of joints that I go to now that are non-chain.  One place is in Falls Church off of Rt. 29 & Rt. 7 called Carribean Plate.  It's a Jamacian/Carribean restaurant that just opened last year, and I love and have eaten most items on the menu.  My favorite dish is the Jerk Wings w/Rice:

o.jpg

My other favorite place to go to right now is also in Falls Church right by Bailey's Crossroads called Haifa Grill.  It's a Middle Eastern/Palestinian restaurant with has a Hooka Bar upstairs.  It has the best Shawarma in the area hands down.  I always get the Beef Shawarma sandwich w/Fries:

o.jpg

o.jpg

I gotta mention another hidden gem I found in NOVA a week ago called Two Bros Soul Food.  Yes, we actually have a Soul Food restaurant in the area.  It's located off Rt. 1 in Alexandria, and it's going to be in my rotation soon enough.  Their menu is no joke, and their Crab Fries are to die for:

o.jpg

o.jpg

Chupacabra is a good hole in the wall Mexican place right down the street from Ben's Chilli on H Street.

MGM Roast Beef has good sandwiches and breakfast, but they are a bit overpriced (shocker in DC) and their hours aren't the most consistent because they close early when they run out food.

Kind of a small local chain, but Sardi's is pretty solid food for a good price.

If you want to get takeout food, East of the river, in SE DC / Temple Hills that actually has vegetables, its pretty solid.

Went to Fleming's Steakhouse a few weeks ago, looks like there is one in Northern VA.

Their bone in aged rib-eye with that Porcini mushroom rub and lobster tail was the best steak I've ever had.  Ever.  I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.  :wub:

We were with friends and my wife embarrasses easily so I was trying not to be obnoxious, but I moaned out lout with every bite.  

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was in Philly (I know, I know...) and was at the Reading Terminal Market.  If you haven't been, GO.  Run.  It's amazing.  It's a giant indoor food market with anything/everything you can think of.  There's smoking hot amish girls making donuts there.  I **** you not.  

That Market is amazeballs. A couple other spots (and by spots I mean bars :) ) I've found in Philly with great food are a place called The Wrap Shack which I believe is downtown in the financial district & my personal favorite, Wooly Mammoth on South Street. 

Thanks for your review of 2 Bros Soul Food, samy316!  I live near there and have been waiting to try it out. 

I have been jonesing for some decent fried chicken and it supposed to be good. Might have to try this week, Social Security check dropped into my account this week.

Moved to Dallas-Fort Worth late last year. The food here is phenomenal.  I'm currently making a business directory as a fundraiser for a non-profit and when I'm putting images up for the listings, especially when I'm hungry which is often, it blows my mind how many Restaurants there or with delicious looking food. I could get really, really fat down here if I had more money.

My last year living in DC, I primarily ate out at two joints:

Donburi in Adams Morgan:

karaagedon.jpg

Japanese Fried Chicken in curry and rice.

My other place was Oki Ramen in DuPont Circle:

348s.jpg

I always got the curry ramen. The broth is a lot like Thai Panang Curry. During the winter this place really hit the spot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Best fajitas in NoVa are at El Paso in Arlington.

https://www.elpasocafeva.com/dinner-menu

When you go, you'll see pictures on the walls of presidents and other political bigshots.  PRESIDENTS GO HERE FOR MEXICAN FOOD.  From the outside, it looks like a ****hole, it is attached to a Popeyes and next to a dog-training facility.  

Go, bring a friend, and get a Macho Platter.  It is a plate of fajitas fixins as big as a manhole cover, topped with a whole lobster.  

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Saturday, I ate at Minibar, one of two places in DC with 2 Michelin stars.  It's like 20 courses, most of which are a bite or 3.  They make food that looks like this.

So, what did you think?  I've done like 6 courses for a fancy meal out here in the provinces, I wonder what a 20 course meal, at a Michelin 2 star would be like.  Remotely worth it?

8 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

So, what did you think?  I've done like 6 courses for a fancy meal out here in the provinces, I wonder what a 20 course meal, at a Michelin 2 star would be like.  Remotely worth it?

It was a great experience.  The table is in the kitchen, so you watch them make the food, which is a lot of the fun.  There is a lot of liquid nitrogen involved.  Most things were plated with tweezers.  One thing made smoke come out of my nose like a dragon.  There was a tremendous amount of very good wine.  It was a home run of a gift for my wife's birthday.

It was also extraordinarily expensive.  I'm glad I did it.  I would not do it a second time (on my own dime). 

The French Laundry is happening in September :)

Here are two more pics. 

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

19 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Great food -- horrible setup in the place. So cramped and awkward. 

I've only been to the one in Gaithersburg once as I'm really never in that area.  They just opened a location in Frederick and it's open and modern decorated, with the famous salsa and toppings bar.  Same exact flavor and worth the drive to the other side of town .

Man, just ate at Emeril Lagasse's Delmonico Steakhouse @ the Venetian in Vegas.  Had the 100% Japanese Wagyu steak and added the Foie Gras butter.   Not only is it the best steak I've ever tasted, it was the best meal I've had in my life.  Good GOD.  :wub:

20170724_195333.thumb.jpg.17f45fdcd0797b502ab9fef12c794893.jpg

Archived