Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Gotta trade Grubauer now. No reason to keep him if you can get a 2nd round pick or potentially more. Unless the Caps really want to blow things up and trade Holtby, but we know that won't be happening. 

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Sounds like the price to keep Schmidt was too expensive.

If we lose Oshie then I'll start to freak.

Caps already don't have any picks in the first three rounds this draft. Just bad planning by the Caps. 

The future 30 for 30 on the bungles of the Caps team during the Ovechkin-era will be great TV. 

Defense is gonna SUUUUCK next year.  SMH. 

IMO, Schmidt was the 3rd best defenseman on this team.  Niskanen, Orlov, Schmidt....and then a DISTANT 4th for Carlson and everyone else that followed.  We left the wrong guy unprotected.  And I think you all know exactly who I think should have been there instead of Schmidt. 

Wow. We have to be the dumbest team in the league. 

You have only ONE "young, fast, puck moving defenseman" on your roster (which is the way the NHL is going) and you don't protect him.  And don't say Orlov, because as much as I like Orlov, he still turns the puck over WAY too much.

I wanted Vegas to take Grubs, but when they traded for Fleury, I knew that was over and Schmidt would be gone.

Dumb team.  Sigh.  I think the window just officially closed on this team.  They'll never win a cup.  

To say the loss of a borderline second pairing d man is "officially window closed", that's a bit much.

I loved Schmidt and thought that we didn't need Shattenkirk because of him, but he's not breaking this team in his loss.

You only need 2 real D pairs and Nisky, Orlov, Carlson and Alzner give us that.

Im honestly more concerned about our ability to score goals next season.

43 minutes ago, Springfield said:

To say the loss of a borderline second pairing d man is "officially window closed", that's a bit much.

I loved Schmidt and thought that we didn't need Shattenkirk because of him, but he's not breaking this team in his loss.

You only need 2 real D pairs and Nisky, Orlov, Carlson and Alzner give us that.

Im honestly more concerned about our ability to score goals next season.

I agree that losing Schmidt isn't what closes the window on the Caps, but I do view it as poor short and long term planning. I would rather have a younger, fast defenseman I can contractual control longer and cheaper than a guy that will likely only be here one more season in Carlson and would certainly be expensive to keep beyond next year. Keeping in mind also the salary cap restraints and the need to sign guys like Bura an Kuzy. 

Also, Alzner is a UFA now. 

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I agree that losing Schmidt isn't what closes the window on the Caps, but I do view it as poor short and long term planning. I would rather have a younger, fast defenseman I can contractual control longer and cheaper than a guy that will likely only be here one more season in Carlson and would certainly be expensive to keep beyond next year. Keeping in mind also the salary cap restraints and the need to sign guys like Bura an Kuzy. 

Also, Alzner is a UFA now. 

Looks like Nisky is ironmanning it...

I would have certainly rather kept Schmidt.  Personally, I'd rather have Orlov over Schmidt.  Of course Niskanen.  But I think he has more upside than Carlson (who is a bonafide 1st pairing D man) and Alzner, who is great, but doesn't bring much speed.

Yes, ultimately its poor planning.

6 months ago, everyone who's ****ting all over the team was then praising them for dumping a bunch of futures for Shattenkirk.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Our best bet, at this point, is to hope that Ovechkin heals up and shapes up.  Hope that Backstrom stops disappearing when it really matters.  Hoping that Kuznetsov can become an perennial all star.  Burakovsky.  Wilson.

Honestly, this team needs some youth.  They need that try hard 5th rounder who becomes a playoff phenom when they really need it.

Perhaps a Caps team that isn't paper perfect, but well coached and full of youthful exuberance is what we really need.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Looks like Nisky is ironmanning it...

I would have certainly rather kept Schmidt.  Personally, I'd rather have Orlov over Schmidt.  Of course Niskanen.  But I think he has more upside than Carlson (who is a bonafide 1st pairing D man) and Alzner, who is great, but doesn't bring much speed.

Yes, ultimately its poor planning.

6 months ago, everyone who's ****ting all over the team was then praising them for dumping a bunch of futures for Shattenkirk.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Our best bet, at this point, is to hope that Ovechkin heals up and shapes up.  Hope that Backstrom stops disappearing when it really matters.  Hoping that Kuznetsov can become an perennial all star.  Burakovsky.  Wilson.

Honestly, this team needs some youth.  They need that try hard 5th rounder who becomes a playoff phenom when they really need it.

Perhaps a Caps team that isn't paper perfect, but well coached and full of youthful exuberance is what we really need.

I have no problems with the trade they made for Shattenkirk. It sucked that he ultimately sucked for the Caps but it happens. What I don't really get is that the GM said this was the last ride for this group, putting unnecessary extra pressure on the team, only to now seemingly be bringing back most of the same team. We will see what happens shortly with Oshie, but I don't get things like keeping Orpik. I feel like I watched a different playoffs if the team doesn't think speed matters. 

I would love to see more youth and hopefully they can add to it from Hershey but also with some creative moves like a Grubby trade for someone. I don't know, I get why it's tough to break up a team that lost two years to the ultimate champions, but gotta shake something up. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I have no problems with the trade they made for Shattenkirk. It sucked that he ultimately sucked for the Caps but it happens. What I don't really get is that the GM said this was the last ride for this group, putting unnecessary extra pressure on the team, only to now seemingly be bringing back most of the same team. We will see what happens shortly with Oshie, but I don't get things like keeping Orpik. I feel like I watched a different playoffs if the team doesn't think speed matters. 

I would love to see more youth and hopefully they can add to it from Hershey but also with some creative moves like a Grubby trade for someone. I don't know, I get why it's tough to break up a team that lost two years to the ultimate champions, but gotta shake something up. 

I don't know how to unload Orpik.  As in, I don't know of a team would take that contract.  I'd assume we still have his cap hit if we cut him.  He's a good team guy and one of the few defensemen who can actually throw a body, but his lack of speed certainly cost us.

I'd like to see us trade Grubauer or Holtby, but for the right price.

My opinion is to spend on Oshie becaue he's the type of player who wins playoff games.  He's fast(ish), he's got silky smooth hands and can score goals.  We need more players on this team in his mould.  If it means we can't bring Alzner back, so be it.  Plus, the chicks love Oshie.

20 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

That takes Oshie 4 years past the Ovechkin and 5 years past the Backstrom contracts. 

The future captain just resigned. 

Deal is very cap friendly (no pun.)  Now let's see if GMBM can address some other needs.  Would love to see him flip Grubauer for some defense. 

15 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Need to flip Grubi for a decent d-man and find a spark from Hershey. 

Start bringing up Bowey, replace Schmidt via Gruby, and maybe dangle Alzner out there and see what comes back.  I like Alzner but his speed is gonna kill us in the playoffs year to year.  We need 4 faster legit top 4 DMen and ideally another 1 or 2 who could step in in case of injury.  Probably can't do that this year, but maybe within next two years if we play our cards right.

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

There's that cloud I was looking for.

5 years from now he'll be 35 and still be under contract for 3 more years. Now if he helps us win a Cup or two, I'm okay with it and will just accept it as the cost of doing business. But I mean, this is the Caps we're talking about...

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

5 years from now he'll be 35 and still be under contract for 3 more years. Now if he helps us win a Cup or two, I'm okay with it and will just accept it as the cost of doing business. But I mean, this is the Caps we're talking about...

A forward like Oshie should age well in the NHL. He skates well and has good hands so this won't be a Brooks Orpik situation. 

Archived