Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNBC: Ethereum hits another record high, marking a more than 2,800% rally this year

No Excuses

On 9/12/2017 at 8:42 PM, Springfield said:

For posterity:

Bitcoin on 6/7/17:  $2694

Bitcoin on 9/12/17:  $4148

Increase 53%

So... you could have made poorer investments.

Like in ethereum, what the thread was originally about.

Ethereum on 6/7/17:  $247

Etherum on 9/12/17:  $297

Increase 20%

On 11/28 ...

BTC $10,189.89

ETH 480.21

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4543488/Man-throws-Bitcoin-hard-drive-worth-4-8billion.html

It's over 15 million now. Ouch.

A man has shared his grief after he unknowingly threw out a portable hard drive seven years ago which is now worth $4.8 million.

Campbell Simpson, editor of technology website Gizmodo Australia, says he missed out on incredible riches because he jettisoned a piece hardware containing 1400 Bitcoins, a form of internet currency.

Seven years later, the digital market for Bitcoin skyrocketed and Mr Simpson's seemingly insignificant internet cash, which he bought for $25, is now worth millions of dollars.

I

to the people holding some stake in these cryto currencies:

what is your exit strategy?

I ask because i have a bunch of friends boasting how much their stake is worth and how much they've made, but when I ask if they've sold any the answer is always: no; when I ask what the exit strategy the answer is always: I don't know.

seems like a terrible investment strategy, but i suppose if it continues to go up and never corrects or crashes then you'll be OK whenever you decide to sell....

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

to the people holding some stake in these cryto currencies:

I ask because i have a bunch of friends boasting how much their stake is worth and how much they've made, but when I ask if they've sold any the answer is always: no; when I ask what the exit strategy the answer is always: I don't know.

seems like a terrible investment strategy, but i suppose if it continues to go up and never corrects or crashes then you'll be OK whenever you decide to sell....

Especially because, when it crashes (and that’s highly likely), I’ve heard that it takes days or weeks to get out of the marketplace and convert your btc into liquid money.  By that point, you could be into the red.

Just now, Springfield said:

Especially because, when it crashes (and that’s highly likely), I’ve heard that it takes days or weeks to get out of the marketplace and convert your btc into liquid money.  By that point, you could be into the red.

yup. 

the risk extends beyond whatever the current value is and whether it's a bubble. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

It depends on where you hold your assets. There are ones who are FDIC insured. And there are multiple ways to exit and the price is when you sell, not when the funds are received, much like a stock settlement.

I continue to diversify my modest crypto holdings to spread the risk.

And I just cashed out a little to buy you a gift. You're welcome.

9khEuks.jpg 

48 minutes ago, tshile said:

Which you dodged 

Nope. I answered your questions.

As for 'exit', you are thinking like a tactical trader which I have no interest in.

It's very early days (think 'internet in 1992'-early) - incrementally build assets, and diversify based on my risk tolerance, and gains.

There are mechanisms to sell, and achieve the price quoted when you sell. 

29 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Nope. I answered your questions.

As for 'exit', you are thinking like a tactical trader which I have no interest in.

Right, so you don't have an exit strategy.

There was one question. And no, you didn't answer it.

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right, so you don't have an exit strategy.

There was one question. And no, you didn't answer it.

With minimal play money invested, an 'exit strategy' would be pointless ... at this time. Sure, there will come a point where I think it makes sense to harvest a significant portion. And many changing factors will impact this. Like I said, even only a few months in I'm already diversifying a little. But my crypto holdings are not close to being at a point where an exit would make an appreciable difference in my life. I'm more involved with modest holdings to keep aware of discussions and sentiment on blockchain technology and emerging players, as for I am for capital gain from crypto.

Do you have an 'exit strategy' for a gift card that someone gave you?

If you want to stay invested that's fine. You're in it for the long haul. Cool.

What you did was not answer my question, then mock me for asking it by accusing me of hating bitcoin. 

It was just a dumb post. You seem overly defensive about the question. I don't really understand why. I suppose it doesn't matter.

And no, I dont have an exit strategy for gift cards people give me.

I didn't realize gift cards received from others was an investment vehicle.

9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I put only in 1K each in Ethereum and Bitcoin. 

I am thinking about cashing out my Bitcoin soon and leaving Ethereum aside. 

How much bitcoin and ether did your 1k investments get you at the time?

My exit strategy is HODL :) ....seriously though I decided to move my money out of the coinbase "vault" and into the wallet while leaving 2FA on. There is a 48 hour waiting period if the coin is the vault but you can sell immediately and lock in your sale price if its in the wallet. I don't plan on selling unless some catastrophic news comes out that would cripple bitcoin's value

Someon explain how btc markets work quickly.  Specifically do they work like traditional stock markets?  In the sense that you can wake up one morning and the market opens significantly lower than it closed the night prior?

See my concern is you see a 30-40% drop OVERNIGHT.  Nothing you can do but wake up and see your $10,000 down at $6,000.  Is that possible in the btc market?

Archived