Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Was Your Favorite Album of 1991?

Spaceman Spiff

What Was Your Favorite Album of 1991?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Album of 1991?

• Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    • Nirvana - Nevermind
    • Pearl Jam - Ten
    • Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    • Ice Cube - Death Certificate
    • R.E.M. - Out of Time
    • Temple of The Dog - Temple of The Dog
    • NWA - EFIL4ZAGGIN
    • Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    • Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
    • Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
    • A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    • Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black
    • MC Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
    • Ricky Martin - Ricky Martin
    • U2 - Achtung Baby
    • Other (explain)

4 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Well there were always "alternative" type bands around. Hell even the Cult could have been considered one. I guess the point is, that Nevermind blew it wide open where because of them, the copycats came along. Van Halen has this kind of impact, as did Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Metallica, and many others. Once the copycats passed, then came alternative pop with garbage like Matchbox 20 and Semisonic, Marcy Playground, and so on; much like the hairbands after Van Halen. 

Pretty much.  People who were already into rock/metal knew of these bands and were listening.  Nirvana brought in broader crowd.  Girls I was in school with who wore New Kids on Block t-shirts just a couple years prior were all of the sudden listening to Nirvana.  

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just a couple of side notes on the whole Nirvana changed everything deal.

Faith No More "The Real Thing" came out 2 years before Nevermind and went platinum.

Alice in Chains "Facelift" came out a full year before Nevermind and went platinum.

The Alt movement was already well underway and would've happened with or without them.  Nirvana just happened to tee it up perfectly with really catchy tunes, a stud near-Bonham level drummer and a frontman who had one of the all-time greatest rock voices.

Was it Faith No More who accused the Red Hot Chili Peppers of copying them, or was it the other way around?  

9 hours ago, codeorama said:

For me, AIC was THE grunge band.

Dirt was the album of 1992 for sure.  I loved that album at least as much as No More Tears.  I never considered Alice in Chains a Grunge band though.  I always considered them metal.

13 hours ago, codeorama said:

My brother was a huge Cobain fan. I played in a band with my brother for years, he was the singer, I was the guitar player. He liked Cobain so much. I hated Cobain's voice.  Again, in hindsight, I appreciate it for what it is now, but at the time, I was not a fan.  I can tolerate Nirvana now, but still absolutely live AIC and Soundgarden.  Cantrell is one of my guitar heroes.  So underrated.

Holding the opinion that Cantrell is superior to Cobain doesn't really diminish Cobain at all...He'd be the first to admit it.  Cantrell is an all-timer.  His combo of songwriting/riffage/vocals is so strong it's almost unheard of.  Right up there with Townsend or Gilmour or maybe Hetfield.  The Man.

12 hours ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Was it Faith No More who accused the Red Hot Chili Peppers of copying them, or was it the other way around?  

Anthony Kiedis called out Mike Patton for copying his shtick.

Rumor was/is Kiedis never targeted FNM tho. Instead he went after Pattons group Mr Bungle. Essentially refusing to play festivals unless Mr Bungle was dropped.

I still like both bands. Sure both guys rap, have long hair, jump around stage a good bit. Completely different singers and lyricists in my view.

15 hours ago, Ron78 said:

Dirt was the album of 1992 for sure.  I loved that album at least as much as No More Tears.  I never considered Alice in Chains a Grunge band though.  I always considered them metal.

Same... Completely agree. I've seen them live 3 times.  Opening for VH and 2 times on their own. My absolute favorite was when they played the Boathouse in norfolk Va, right after Dirt came out, very small show, Cantrell had cut his hand on a gatorade bottle and had to get stitches, played the whole show, no issues. He also played an Ernie Ball Music Man EVH model that EVH gave him.  Was cool for me because my first real guitar was an EVH Music Man.  The Opening band was Gruntruck, never heard of them but they rocked hard.  Screaming Trees also opened. 

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Holding the opinion that Cantrell is superior to Cobain doesn't really diminish Cobain at all...He'd be the first to admit it.  Cantrell is an all-timer.  His combo of songwriting/riffage/vocals is so strong it's almost unheard of.  Right up there with Townsend or Gilmour or maybe Hetfield.  The Man.

Don't mean to take away from Cobain, just pointing out that I didn't get it at the time. I'm definitely more of a hard rock kind of guy.  I really like a lot of off the radar Nirvana songs like Aneurysm and Drain You

I'll go on record and take the unpopular opinion that I am not a fan of Cobain and never thought much of Nirvana.  I did own Nevermind, but I think everyone did.  I was never into Cobain's mumbling singing voice, and I thought Dave Grohl's band was better.

I voted for the Chili Peppers.  While I think 10 is a better album, and I hate Give it Away, Under the Bridge and Breaking the Girl are probably my two favorite Chili Peppers songs, and if I could have anyone's singing voice, I'd probably pick Anthony Kiedis.  I've always thought his voice was incredible when he sings...note, not when he raps, I hate the rapping.

2 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Not a big Chili Peppers fan. Didn't they perform in their underwear live? I mean, how stupid is that?

I did like their cover of "Higher Ground" though. Great song.

They went further than that.  Down to just socks on their dicks.  RHCP with John Frusciante I really enjoy.  Without him in the band I have no interest.  

2 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Not a big Chili Peppers fan. Didn't they perform in their underwear live? I mean, how stupid is that?

I did like their cover of "Higher Ground" though. Great song.

I think one of them must've heard the same VH interview I taped in 8th grade off DC101...Eddie said, "You better be able to come out with one white light bulb in your boxer shorts and be able to knock 'em off their feet...and if you can't, you're nothin'."  ;)

2 hours ago, drowland said:

They went further than that.  Down to just socks on their dicks.  RHCP with John Frusciante I really enjoy.  Without him in the band I have no interest.  

With Frusciante, I think they are an amazing musical band, however, IMO, I think the singer is the worst lyricist in a big band.  Ruins it for me in a lot of cases.  Great musicians though.

14 minutes ago, codeorama said:

With Frusciante, I think they are an amazing musical band, however, IMO, I think the singer is the worst lyricist in a big band.  Ruins it for me in a lot of cases.  Great musicians though.

Chad Smith is also a great drummer.

8 hours ago, codeorama said:

Same... Completely agree. I've seen them live 3 times.  Opening for VH and 2 times on their own. My absolute favorite was when they played the Boathouse in norfolk Va, right after Dirt came out, very small show, Cantrell had cut his hand on a gatorade bottle and had to get stitches, played the whole show, no issues. He also played an Ernie Ball Music Man EVH model that EVH gave him.  Was cool for me because my first real guitar was an EVH Music Man.  The Opening band was Gruntruck, never heard of them but they rocked hard.  Screaming Trees also opened.

I really wish I had the chance to see them with Layne, but I will settle for William Duvall.  I think they still sound pretty good.  Would like to see that show live.

26 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

I really wish I had the chance to see them with Layne, but I will settle for William Duvall.  I think they still sound pretty good.  Would like to see that show live.

I like everything the new AIC has put out but part of me wishes they weren't called AIC without Layne. But I get it. 

When they opened for VH, the crowd kept chanting "Eddie" over and over and Layne said "my name is Layne, but you can call me Eddie". EVH actually jammed out Man in the Box later. Was very cool. 

On 5/31/2017 at 0:34 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Crushing.  Best thing they ever did...and that's saying something.

Man, I had heard of this band and didn't know the first thing about them.  Spent all my time this weekend in the car driving around and listening to this album.  Not sure why they aren't mentioned with the Big 4 thrash bands but they're great.  

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Man, I had heard of this band and didn't know the first thing about them.  Spent all my time this weekend in the car driving around and listening to this album.  Not sure why they aren't mentioned with the Big 4 thrash bands but they're great.  

Their albums before this are considered classic 80s thrash but aren't musically developed as Horrorscope...they upgraded to a two guitar attack for this album.  After this they released a few iffy but good albums trying to roll with the grunge/groove trend of the time.  Since the early-00s, they've gone back to serious thrash and have released some really great stuff but nothing can touch Horrorscope.   Super consistent, really great live and Metal to the core...All Hail Overkill!

Archived