Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

18 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Daym Disney. Beast awoken

When I was in grad school, we did a class on major PR disasters and how to handle them.  One of the case studies we did was the Southern Baptist boycott of Disney because Disney hosted LGBT-themed days in their parks as early as the early-90s.  One of the big things we learned in the class is that when a big issue comes up, most people want to somehow take the middle and avoid the issue.  This just angers both sides and makes you look spineless.  

What Disney did was actually pretty bold-- taking a side (being pro-LGBT) and leaning into it 100%.They didn't try to appease the southern baptists and soften their stance. This was 10 years before marriage equality was even a major political issue, and now Disney (rightfully) gets to take credit for being way ahead of this.

I know that ultimately Disney is just a major corporation looking out for their bottom line, and they've been involved in some less-than-ethical behavior in other places, but kudos to them on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, balki1867 said:

When I was in grad school, we did a class on major PR disasters and how to handle them.  One of the case studies we did was the Southern Baptist boycott of Disney because Disney hosted LGBT-themed days in their parks as early as the early-90s.  One of the big things we learned in the class is that when a big issue comes up, most people want to somehow take the middle and avoid the issue.  This just angers both sides and makes you look spineless.  

What Disney did was actually pretty bold-- taking a side (being pro-LGBT) and leaning into it 100%.They didn't try to appease the southern baptists and soften their stance. This was 10 years before marriage equality was even a major political issue, and now Disney (rightfully) gets to take credit for being way ahead of this.

I know that ultimately Disney is just a major corporation looking out for their bottom line, and they've been involved in some less-than-ethical behavior in other places, but kudos to them on this one.

My perspective on Disney's "Gay Day"?  Was that I have actually been to two of them, accidentally. 

And what I saw, at them, was some folks in Pride clothes. And a much larger number of people wearing matching T shirts from numerous church groups. 

And Disney making money off of both groups. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Unless of course those opponents are liberals or named Hillary Clinton or Anthony Fauci. 🤪

Or the Department of Justice, or a county DA, or a couple of states, or a member of a grand jury, or gay, or a librarian, or a woman who's gestating a soon to be corpse, or the FDA, or somebody who wants to help people register to vote, or help them vote, or a teacher who mentions that racism exists, or an M&M, or ....

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Anita Dick sporadically attended my middle school every time we had a substitute teacher-- I'm glad to hear she's still around and getting involved in civic matters.

I was sorry to see that Mike Hunt didn't get involved...he's been an active participant in events like these for decades.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I was sorry to see that Mike Hunt didn't get involved...he's been an active participant in events like these for decades.

I actually went to middle school with a guy who's name was Mike Hunt. That was legit his real name. I have no idea why any parents would be so cruel.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Yeah!  And now that I think about it, what's Heywood Jablowme been up to lately?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I actually went to middle school with a guy who's name was Mike Hunt. That was legit his real name. I have no idea why any parents would be so cruel.

Went to school with a dude named Chez Burger lol. We called him ham cause we were stupid but his parents really named him Chez Burger. How high do you have to be to do that to your own child lol 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Anita Dick sporadically attended my middle school every time we had a substitute teacher-- I'm glad to hear she's still around and getting involved in civic matters.

No lie.  We had a middle school teacher named Anita Dick.  That was her married name.  Found an old yearbook prior to her marriage.  Anita Long was her maiden name.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

No lie.  We had a middle school teacher named Anita Dick.  That was her married name.  Found an old yearbook prior to her marriage.  Anita Long was her maiden name.

So then no surprise she decided against using her maiden name in a hyphenated last name...

'It's heartbreaking': Idaho Republican women vote against providing girls free tampons

Idaho Republican women don't believe girls in schools should have access to free tampons, The Daily Beast reports.

Founder of nonprofit advocacy organization, the Idaho Period Project, Avrey Hendrix — who is also a mother of four — approached Idaho State GOP Rep. Rod Furniss last month, asking if he'd be "interested" in sponsoring legislation that supports access to free menstrual products.

The congressman obliged, along with State Rep. Lori McCann (R), who is his co-sponsor.

However, 10 women lawmakers, who are all Republicans, blocked the legislation from passing, according to The Daily Beast.

"It's so shocking because they know what it’s like to go into the bathroom and not have a tampon," Hendrix said.

According to The Daily Beast, Furniss said to his colleagues on the House floor Thursday, "Boys and girls have two Ps: peeing and pooping." He continued, "We know that the proper role of government is to cover the two Ps. Well, surprise, we just figured out [in] 2023, that girls have three Ps: They have peeing and pooping, and period."

Then the congressman then asserted, "Now we can hold the first two Ps, peeing and pooping. We can take care of that. But the third P, the girls don’t have a muscle down there. When that happens, it happens. It’s an emergency every time that happens. It's a basic biological function. Is the proper role of government to cover a basic biological function? I submit to you that it is."

According to HuffPost, House Bill 313 "would have required that public and public charter schools provide students with free tampons, sanitary napkins and other menstrual products."

The Idaho Stateman reports, prior to the bill's rejection, Furniss said, "Today is a step to preserve womanhood, to give it a chance to start right, to not be embarrassed or feel alienated or ashamed, or to feel like they need to stay home from school due to period poverty."

GOP Rep. Heather Scott disagreed, along with her Republican colleague, Rep. Barbara Ehardt, who referred to the phrase "period poverty" as a "woke term."

Scott said, "This bill is a very liberal policy, and it's really turning Idaho into a bigger nanny state than ever. It's embarrassing not only because of the topic but because of the actual policy itself. So you don't have to be a woman to understand the absurdity of this policy. And you don’t have to feel that you’re insensitive to not address this."

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Thumb down 1

'Going to get bad really fast': Longtime Michigan Republicans alarmed by party's MAGA chair

Michigan Republican Party Chairwoman Kristina Karamo believes it is her job to make Michigan the ground zero of the resistance to what she calls "globalist" plots to take over the United States.

MLive reports that Karamo, who was elected as state party chair despite losing her campaign to become Michigan's secretary of state last year by 14 points, says that the party should make challenging the agenda of the World Economic Forum a top priority for the Michigan GOP.

“I have a deep concern with the encroachment of the World Economic Forum," she declared to the publication.

Karamo's conspiratorial talk has alienated many longtime Michigan Republicans, as the wealthy DeVos family has stopped giving to the state party.

Longtime Republican delegate Jason Roe tells MLive that he's already seeing signs that Karamo's operation will have a great degree of difficulty in raising resources to run competitive elections in the state.

“I just don’t see how they raise any money because none of the major donors are going to help them and they don’t have the mechanisms for raising small dollars,” he said. “I think this is going to get really bad really fast.”

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Lindsey Graham Admonished by Senate Ethics Committee

U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has been formally admonished by the Senate Ethics Committee for violating ethics rules and standards by repeatedly soliciting campaign donations during an interview at the Capitol.

The bipartisan committee issued Graham a Public Letter of Admonition after the South Carolina Republican solicited donations for Georgia GOP Senate nominee Herschel Walker.

“Based upon all available information, the Committee concluded that on November 30, 2022, you conducted a media interview with Fox News in the rotunda of the Russell Senate Office Building and that your interview was slightly over nine minutes, with over four minutes devoted to a discussion of the 2022 senatorial run-off election in Georgia. The Committee further concluded that during your discussion of the senatorial run-off election, you directly solicited campaign contributions on behalf of Mr. Walker’s campaign committee, www.teamherschel.com, five separate times.”

The letter notes that Sen. Graham had previously violated the same standards when he solicited campaign donations in a federal building in October of 2020, but said it was an “unplanned media interview.” When a reporter had asked him about fundraising, Graham “directly solicited campaign contributions” for his re-election campaign.

Oh no!  A letter of admonition?  How ever will he recover from the humiliation?  What a useless, toothless penalty.  If you want to discourage him from doing it again then hit him where it hurts and force him to pay fines from his campaign fund to render his fundraising during interviews moot.  Make it so he isn't profiting from his lack of ethics.

• Haha 1