Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

If Mr. Biden wins, there will be a temptation to embrace a big lie: Mr. Trump was the problem, and with him gone, the Republican Party can return to normal. But today’s Republican Party won’t moderate itself, because Trumpism is its natural state. Democrats should avoid the temptation to expect Republican cooperation in governing this country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/opinion/trump-republican-party.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZGUFApTE4H_v9pX7MIQmwCJb5gVz8DLCI0BIxj3NopMndG_aXJk9t_EI

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

If Mr. Biden wins, there will be a temptation to embrace a big lie: Mr. Trump was the problem, and with him gone, the Republican Party can return to normal. But today’s Republican Party won’t moderate itself, because Trumpism is its natural state. Democrats should avoid the temptation to expect Republican cooperation in governing this country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/opinion/trump-republican-party.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZGUFApTE4H_v9pX7MIQmwCJb5gVz8DLCI0BIxj3NopMndG_aXJk9t_EI

Duh.

Trumpism isn’t going anywhere in the GOP. Maybe after 24, Trumpism will losen its grip. The Trumpy candidate will have to be defeated in 24 and that probably won’t happen until a general fall election.

Whether that’s Trump himself or a Trumpy heir like Junior it Tom Cotton; a Trumpster will probably be the 24 nominee. They will already have 30 to 40% of the gop vote; so it won’t be that hard to get the rest To be the 24 nominee.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

See, I don't expect it to "die out" in the least, if anything it may become even more virulent, more unapologetic about itself, daring anyone to disagree or criticize because that's who they are, that's who they've been their whole lives.

Been having conversations recently about the whole nightmare age we're in, and it's easy to float opinions or ideas but there is very little hard objective evidence to point to about the why of it all. Why are so many people, so well off and living in a country that affords them so much in the way of resources or entertainment or care so able and willing to be such unforgiving bags of ****?  The historical, evolutionary pressures of competition for food, mates, land, food, wealth, food, entertainment, sidechicks, etc. really just don't apply. We as a species are kinda lazy, stupid, do the bare minimum and get back to scratchin yer ballz apes, and if anything the Industrial Revolution and all its **** children have made it easier to get back to nature in that way. Why is such a substantial, consistent % of humankind over millennia willing to invest in an ideology based on active fear and hatred, one that one that expends substantial time, energy and resources while returning so little tangible return?

I'm a pragmatist, I find myself harkening back to Marcus Aurelius,“What is this, fundamentally? What is its nature and substance, its reason for being? What is it doing in the world? How long is it here for?”, what is this and why is it happening? There are no grand plots or conspiracies, there's no Illuminati or Q, that's all horse****. People act based upon simple, direct motivations, like greed or fear, OR they're running on corrupted programming, a missing / in a line of the lizard brain beta test somewhere has them spin out of control.

My thing lately is consideration of empathy, I was thrilled to hear Michelle Obama mention it. What is it, where does it come from, how is it a survival trait that has endured through evolution and how is it that some major fraction seem to have none whatsoever.

I know, tl;dr, tough titty

There seems to be some underlying pathology at work here, one you are never going to discuss or vote or legislate away if it is stemming from a neurological or physiological basis. And it appears that it might be the case with the morlocks who show all the signs of being infected with something akin to rabies that doesn't kill the host.

That **** ain't gonna just go away on its own.

Edited by LD0506
fat fingers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Remember the story about the frog and the scorpion?

You let the scorpion be the scorpion - it exists because nature intended - but you have a responsibility to protect yourself from it. 

I would also add that you adapt and make sure that you don’t allow the scorpion to control the narrative and act like it’s principled, healthy, and anything but a scorpion. 

24 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I would also add that you adapt and make sure that you don’t allow the scorpion to control the narrative and act like it’s principled, healthy, and anything but a scorpion. 

Yes, you understand the scorpion for what it is.... based on what it does (not on the story/narrative it speaks). But you always have your own narrative.... you don’t give that responsibility away. And our job is not to change the scorpion - it can’t be anything else other than what it is. Our job/responsibility is to adapt to our environment to survive/thrive. As in nature.... it isn’t always peaceful course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Yes, you understand the scorpion for what it is.... based on what it does (not on the story/narrative it speaks). But you always have your own narrative.... you don’t give that responsibility away. And our job is not to change the scorpion - it can’t be anything else other than what it is. Our job/responsibility is to adapt to our environment to survive/thrive. As in nature.... it isn’t always peaceful course.

Yup and being ready for the "it isn't always peaceful" part and integrating that into a healthy way with our boundaries so they have an edge is a key part of being able to thrive that people in general sometimes miss. Peace is determined by Trust and the absence of it in an interaction leads you to a three pronged road of change, contain/exile, or destroy when having to reckon with scorpion like people and the degree of damage giving them unearned trust and access might impart.

• Like 1

Far right wing-nut and provocateur Laura Loomer has won the GOP primary to run against the incumbent Democrat for the U.S. House in the Palm Beach area.  The district includes Donald Trump's declared home of Mara-Lago.  Loomer, who has been banned by Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Medium, PayPal, Venmo, GoFundMe, Uber and Lyft, has stated that recent mass school shootings were staged, and has spewed anti-Muslim and anti-Semitic views.

"At Loomer’s victory party Tuesday night, according to the Palm Beach Post, she was feted by political provocateur Roger Stone, whose prison sentence for lying to Congress was recently commuted by Trump; right-wing writer and speaker Milo Yiannopoulos, who got fired by the website Breitbart in 2017 after he praised same-sex pedophilia; and Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, a male-only group that describes itself as “Western Chauvinist” but has been deemed a white nationalist organization by the Southern Poverty Law Center."

There's your new GOP.

Trump sent out a Tweet praising her and saying she has a "great chance" in the general election in the heavily democratic district.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/far-provocateur-wins-gop-primary-110234891.html

As someone who is free trade, pro immigration, budget hawk primarily through spending restraint, anti-corporate welfare while simultaneously for low corporate taxes, and pro government research, I am politically homeless.

I really miss the Clinton-Gingrich era.

The GOP has been irredeemably horrific this century.

10 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Remember the story about the frog and the scorpion?

You let the scorpion be the scorpion - it exists because nature intended - but you have a responsibility to protect yourself from it. 

Nice parable but, don't be fooled, frogs are voracious predators that devour scorpions.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

The reason the current GOP (Trump party) won't die is because they have been making concerted efforts to rig the system more and more going forward to keep themselves and future generations in power despite their support statistically going down.  In 2018, there were approx 18 more million votes cast for Democratic Senators than there were GOP senators, but because of gerrymandering and other methods, the GOP is remaining in power in a lot of these states.   The "free and fair" election idea in America is becoming more of a fallacy and it is going to become even more corrupt as long as one side of the aisle views power grabbing a priority among all other things.  

Other than counties where their elections are 100% known farces going into them, I am not sure where you can point to that the candidate who gets the most votes for President doesn't win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

In 2018, there were approx 18 more million votes cast for Democratic Senators than there were GOP senators, but because of gerrymandering and other methods, the GOP is remaining in power in a lot of these states. 

Just observing.  I know it's a standard talking point, but it's kinda tough to throw the term "gerrymandering" at state lines, don't you think?  

• Like 1

Just now, Larry said:

Just observing.  I know it's a standard talking point, but it's kinda tough to throw the term "gerrymandering" at state lines, don't you think?  

Yeah, my statement was a little all over the place, I didn't even mean to suggest it was just the senate, and the gerrymandering stuff was more meant to address districts specifically.  My overall point was more just about a minority opinion finding ways to hold on to power.

• Like 1

if you are technically a conservative

If you believe the Republican Party is worthy of being saved and should be saved

you’re going to have to come to terms with something. Immediately,  if you haven’t already. Something I came to terms with a while ago on the 2nd amendment for the same basic reason. 

You’ve had ample opportunity to do something about this problem. You’ve done nothing. Your options now are to support the Democrats while you clean house, or you keep on going which means you’re actively supporting and furthering the problem. 

That’s right. You’ll have to support the democratic platform until further notice. that is the price you pay for getting caught sleeping while your party was taken over by buffoonery and anti-American bull****. 

when you’ve finished cleaning house you can go back to politics as usual. And whatever the state of the country is, you’ll just have to accept that your gross inaction prevented you from changing what was going on because you took too long to do anything about your party going out of control

otherwise you’re condoning and supporting this bull****. There really isn’t any middle ground here. You either care or you don’t. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

It says a lot that the right has become so radicalized that they feel a guy like Joe Biden equals doom for the country.  Not just the usual "I don't agree with him on a lot of the issues" but fire & brimstone "America will cease to exist"   It's Joe.....Biden.

That's what trump and his friends instructed them to think, can't go against the master ya know. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It says a lot that the right has become so radicalized that they feel a guy like Joe Biden equals doom for the country.  Not just the usual "I don't agree with him on a lot of the issues" but fire & brimstone "America will cease to exist"   It's Joe.....Biden.

“he’s been in office 50 years and hasn’t done anything. Also if he gets the presidency he will end god” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2