Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas

TSO

3 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@The Consigliere are you saying you would have drafted a TE in the first round over Jonathan Allen? I mean OJ Howard is awesome but not in the same class of player compared to Allen imho.

Howard was probably the best player in this class. I'm happy we actually drafted a defensive lineman,  but Howard is a better player. Clearly DE>TE for us though, but if Allen wasn't there we'd have probably added the best TE in a long time.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Howard was probably the best player in this class. I'm happy we actually drafted a defensive lineman,  but Howard is a better player. Clearly DE>TE for us though, but if Allen wasn't there we'd have probably added the best TE in a long time.

I agree that we probably would have drafted him had allen not fallen to us - and at 17 it would have been a great pick. Other than his combine stats being great I don't personally think Howard in anyway had shown he is a better player than allen.

That being said I was saying earlier that Howard is a better TE than Mccaffrey is RB. I really liked Howard but he never once had a performance as dominant as many of Allen's dominant taking over games performances

Also like you alluded to Allen is probably the best 3-4 DE prospect in years - which just so happens to be the defense we play.

• -Washington selected TE Jeremy Sprinkle with the 154th pick of the NFL draft. He is the Arkansas Razorbacks’ all-time leader in receiving touchdowns by a tight end with 11, and his four touchdowns in 2016 tied him for second among SEC tight ends.
  •  
  • -Sprinkle ranked 13th in the tight end class with an 81.0 receiving grade in 2016. His 1.8 yards per route run (which was above the FBS average of 1.3) ranked fifth in the SEC.
  •  
  • -He was effective in the slot, accumulating the 12th-most yards per route run from the slot the last three seasons. Sprinkle displayed the ability to win on both levels, catching four of five catchable passes of 20 yards or more in his college career.
  •  
  • -He has displayed very reliable hands, having only dropped five passes out of 72 catchable targets over the last three seasons. His drop rate of 5.71 ranked him fourth of all tight ends in 2016.

Jeremy-Sprinkle.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-sprinkle-should-solidify-washington-te-depth/

55 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Hmm, someone here said he was a poor receiver. That does not appear to be the case. For a 5th round pick, we got a steal.

We did, same with Moreau in the 3rd.  But so did a lot of other teams.  This draft was unusually deep at defensive backs and tight ends.  If we did not get Howard, then guys I was looking at were Sprinkle, Kittle, and maybe Shaheen.

There was a healthy mix of prospects who could excel as pass catchers, and others that could also add blocking.  We lucked out.

5 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Also like you alluded to Allen is probably the best 3-4 DE prospect in years - which just so happens to be the defense we play.

Howard was grossly misused.

But to this point, one of my favorite things about this draft is we drafted a 34DE to play 34DE and a 34SAM to play 34SAM at 1&2. We drafyed guys at their position. We never do that ****.

19 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@The Consigliere are you saying you would have drafted a TE in the first round over Jonathan Allen? I mean OJ Howard is awesome but not in the same class of player compared to Allen imho.

No. Jonathan Allen was the best prospect available from what I understood (not confident in my ability to scout DL's other than sniffing out busts), I was hoping Everett would be there at 49. Didn't expect any of the big 3 to fall to us.

11 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Hmm, someone here said he was a poor receiver. That does not appear to be the case. For a 5th round pick, we got a steal.

Not someone, me. I did. And you're evaluating his skill set incorrectly (at least in my view). I'm not disputing his catch rate, as others probably mentioned, and as was mentioned in the draft coverage, his catch rate is ridiculous, excellent for a TE, particularly in this class. That being said, catch rate isn't what determines success or failure at the next level, for pass catchers things like Market Share, and breakout age and air yards are far more important than anything else, on top of that analytics groups like those at rotoviz have created regression tree's to help analyze a given prospects chances of success (on a purely pass catching TE angle, not blocking) and with regards to his production, breakout age and combine, there's nothing to recommend. By every measure the upside angle is low. Some guys beat the odds, both Barnidge and Tamme blew up in '15 for instance despite looking kind of blah as prospects (and Tamme in general, has had a perfectly respectable career). 

When it comes to Sprinkle, he will make his bones as a blocker and hopefully provide us with 25-30 catches a year and some red zone TD's and effectiveness in general. He's not going to be a stud pass catcher. I am hoping beyond hope he ends up being my ceiling for him, which would be a poor man's Marcellus Bennett or Brandon Petigrew but both of those guys had a lot more upside coming out of college in terms of athleticism and draft pedigree. 

I think he'll make the squad. Not sure who gets cut at TE, but somebody will to make room for him because of his ability as a two way player on offense. Too important to not keep around as long as he's competent on both ends. Was he a steal in the fifth round? Well, depends on what you mean. I tend to think you mean something beyond what I mean: I think he was a value: I think in a typical TE draft he would have gone in the late third to late fourth rather than the mid-fifth. I think we got him a good 25-50 picks later than would've been typical. So in that sense, I think he was a value, a steal for me is more a Tom Brady or Jamaal Charles on day 3 kind of scenario. That's a steal. Our '81 draft was full of steals. That sort of thing. He's a legit value. A guy with top 100 pedigree to me, at worst top 125, and we got him after the top 150 were off the board. Not bad at all.

Please don't take this as me saying he sucks. That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that his game is blocking, and not pass catching, and it's not because he has poor hands, his catch rate as PFF mentioned, and as the Draft broadcasts mentioned, was excellent, but he was not utilized in their pass game at all. Even after Hunter Henry left and he owned the TE role his #'s did not go up appreciably higher, his market share and production remained tepid. He was utilized in Arkansas as a blocker and only occasionally as a target in the passing game (topped 50 yards and had more than 3 receptions only twice and three times in 12 games this past season as the only option at TE (Henry topped 50 yards in a game 7 times in 13 games and had 4+ receptions in 6 of 13 games with Sprinkle as competition for targets). Seems to me that Arkansas was using him to block almost exclusively. Howard had the same issues at Alabama, and we blame the coaching staff for that, but it's worth noting that Howard's love comes from his insane measurables combined with his epic production in the college football playoff. Sprinkle doesn't have either of those things, his measurable aren't impressive, and he didn't blow up ever. 

At that point in the draft the only TE's left from such a prestigious class worth going after were Sprinkle, Hodges (not exactly a TE), and Saubert and all had some major flaws (Sprinkle's Belk incident, and middling at best athleticism and production metrics, Hodges total inability to play as an inline TE to this point, and Saubert's tragically bad hands). I'm fine with Sprinkle, I would have gone after one of my fav RB's there, but if I'd had a well thought out board at the time Sprinkle would have been near the top of it. Liked the pick then, like it now, just with reservations and the accurate (to my mind) view that we shouldn't get our hopes up regarding his pass catching career upside, I will be absolutely stunned if he ends up regularly catching more than 30-35 passes in any given year, stunned, but that's fine as long as he can block and be the kind of player that other teams are required to honor the threat from. 

I'll just say this. Arkansas had some issues with blocking up front and he had to stay in a lot to help. That, IMO is why he was not utilized more. That being said, I don't see why he would be getting 75 balls a year either, with Reed, Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Harris, Quick, another Quick and the other 19 receivers we picked up. Not to mention Davis. So yeah, that would be unexpected. There are just not enough balls to go around. But then If we picked up anyone other than Howard, would ANY other TE expect to get many more balls? Because they are not beating Reed out. Only way they get more playing time is if he goes down for the season. Even Howard would have a tough time beating Reed out as a receiver.

Now, if we end up with a catastrophic situation, like Reed gets another concussion and is done for the year, Doctson flames out and none of our other receivers do anything, I think you can get 50 catches out of Sprinkle. And he will still be in there for blocking. So basically, he probably will never come off the field.

21 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I agree that we probably would have drafted him had allen not fallen to us - and at 17 it would have been a great pick. Other than his combine stats being great I don't personally think Howard in anyway had shown he is a better player than allen.

That being said I was saying earlier that Howard is a better TE than Mccaffrey is RB. I really liked Howard but he never once had a performance as dominant as many of Allen's dominant taking over games performances

Let me start with IMO Jonathan Allen was the right selection for the team considering our needs and who was on the board. But had they taken OJ Howard I would not have been that upset. With Reed's injury problems and inability to block effectively and our reliance on TE for this offense, an argument could have been made for Howard.

And while Allen may be the better overall prospect, it's not head and shoulders. Not that it means anything to the professionals, but in getting ready for the ES mock draft I had Jonathan Allen #3 and OJ Howard #4 overall - (behind #1 Myles Garrett and #2 Jamal Adams). I bet most people had OJ Howard and Jonathan Allen pretty closely ranked. I agree Allen had more dominant performances but to me that was more a function of how each was used. In the NFL OJ Howard has a chance to be the next Gronk.

Again, Allen was the right decision for us. He has a real chance to be special. But OJ Howard would have also been a great pick - especially considering the DLine depth in the draft and after the top 3 TEs the talent drops pretty significantly. 

As far as a receiver, Sprinkle will make his living on dump offs and chain movers. He's not splitting seems running deep posts, wheel routes or streaking. We have lots of other guys for that.

But after 2/3 from the snap, when everyone has cleared out and made space underneath, he'll pull off his block and get the quick 5/6 yarders that lead to first downs. He's excellent at that. He makes both our run and pass game better from blocking and high percentage, chain moving catches.

And if Allen was drafted right before us, I would have been elated with Howard.

Couldn't have gone wrong with our pick at 17.  Allen, IMO was the correct pick as we've needed D-line help here forever.  Also, as much as I hate to say it, I think Engram is going to be the better receiving TE.  He has elite receiving skills and can run away from people with his speed.  He will struggle much like Jordan Reed does at blocking...but Engram is going to be scary teaming up with Odell, Marshall, and Shepard.

As for Sprinkle, I think he brings an all around game to our TE position.  In the tape I've seen he's a decent enough receiver with mediocre athleticism.  I'll be interested to see how he plays in-line blocking DEs, but I'm hopeful he can take over the vernon davis duties as soon as next year.  I will also be interested in whether or not he can contribute on Special Teams.  He seems like a practice squad candidate to me right now.  

I respect that opinion on howard, he was my number 1 rated offensive player. I just think Allen is going to show the kind of consistent, dominating line penetration and ability to read and disrupt plays that we haven't seen in a long long time.

I think once Sprinkle strengthens up and tightens some route running he will be a very good player, if he is still moving well at 270 he will be a great weapon as a blocker and pass catcher. Maybe not gamebreaking but very good and unique.

48 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I respect that opinion on howard, he was my number 1 rated offensive player. I just think Allen is going to show the kind of consistent, dominating line penetration and ability to read and disrupt plays that we haven't seen in a long long time.

I think once Sprinkle strengthens up and tightens some route running he will be a very good player, if he is still moving well at 270 he will be a great weapon as a blocker and pass catcher. Maybe not gamebreaking but very good and unique.

At this point we are probably splitting hairs. There is no scenario for me that I would have taken Howard over Allen with both there considering the teams needs. Again, I am ecstatic they took Allen. He has a much better chance to make an immediate impact on this team - and as you said provide a disruptive presence on the Dline we have not had in a very long time.

Myself and others are just saying Howard would not have been a disaster by any means. He is going to be very good for a very long time.

As for Sprinkle, I like his potential. He at the very least should provide a solid blocking TE that can be a good release valve. He is not going to scare anyone on seam routes or anything vertical but he will be load to bring down underneath the D if people sell out for a WRs - which they may have to. I love the idea of an empty backfield with - Pryor and Doctson (or Quick early) on the edges, Crowder in the slot and Reed and Sprinkle/Davis also on the field. That will create some match up nightmares.

Some said Sprinkle goes on the PS this year. Not sure that happens. I believe he makes the final 53 un less he has a poor camp. I believe Niles Paul time here is probably up. Hate to see him go but at this point his only value to the Redskins is on STs. And while he is a great STs player, he can't stay healthy and other young guys are ready to take his place.

3 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

As for Sprinkle, I think he brings an all around game to our TE position.  In the tape I've seen he's a decent enough receiver with mediocre athleticism.  I'll be interested to see how he plays in-line blocking DEs, but I'm hopeful he can take over the vernon davis duties as soon as next year.  I will also be interested in whether or not he can contribute on Special Teams.  He seems like a practice squad candidate to me right now.  

No way. He'll make the team and will play a lot.

5 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

He seems like a practice squad candidate to me right now.  

In my opinion he would last about 5 minutes on the practice squad, and doubt he we would even have that option as he would have to clear waivers before he could even be signed to our practice squad.  TE's of any worth are highly coveted. I just can't see this as an option at all.  Hail

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

In my opinion he would last about 5 minutes on the practice squad, and doubt he we would even have that option as he would be signed to an active roster somewhere.  TE's of any worth are highly coveted.  I just can't see this as an option at all.  Hail

Heck, he'd have to make it through waivers before making it to the PS, and that probably ain't happening.  If that did happen, there's then a chance that he gets offered more money for a PS spot from another team.  

Lot of things would have to wrong (and right for other players) for him not to make the 53.  He ain't going anywhere, IMO.  

23 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I'll just say this. Arkansas had some issues with blocking up front and he had to stay in a lot to help. That, IMO is why he was not utilized more. That being said, I don't see why he would be getting 75 balls a year either, with Reed, Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Harris, Quick, another Quick and the other 19 receivers we picked up. Not to mention Davis. So yeah, that would be unexpected. There are just not enough balls to go around. But then If we picked up anyone other than Howard, would ANY other TE expect to get many more balls? Because they are not beating Reed out. Only way they get more playing time is if he goes down for the season. Even Howard would have a tough time beating Reed out as a receiver.

Now, if we end up with a catastrophic situation, like Reed gets another concussion and is done for the year, Doctson flames out and none of our other receivers do anything, I think you can get 50 catches out of Sprinkle. And he will still be in there for blocking. So basically, he probably will never come off the field.

I wanted a replacement for Reed when he retires, which I expect to be soon because of his concussions. We draft for the long term future, not just '16. Getting a guy like Njoku, Everett, maybe a Kittle, or a Butt could provide us with a. legit replacement (Butt of course is more of a Witten/Heath Miller love child rather than a freak like Reed, but he's also a legit pass catching weapon). Part of my urgency is my belief that Reed (if he's sane) will probably retire in a year or two, and having developed his replacement in house should be a major priority. We also needed what Sprinkle was brought in for, no doubt, but we also need a legit replacement for Reed when he retires for his own mental safety and well being. 

I hope that I never see that Jumbo package we ran last year again! It never worked due to oppossing defenses keying on the run due to the lack of receiving threats in the formation. I vaguely remember OT Montgomery checking in as an eligible receiver and thinking no way in hell we pick up the first. I don't think it ever worked and it made me question Jay's play calling. Regardless...the Jumbo is going to look way sexier with receiving threats Reed, Davis, Paul and/or Sprinkle.

8 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I wanted a replacement for Reed when he retires, which I expect to be soon because of his concussions. We draft for the long term future, not just '16. Getting a guy like Njoku, Everett, maybe a Kittle, or a Butt could provide us with a. legit replacement (Butt of course is more of a Witten/Heath Miller love child rather than a freak like Reed, but he's also a legit pass catching weapon). Part of my urgency is my belief that Reed (if he's sane) will probably retire in a year or two, and having developed his replacement in house should be a major priority. We also needed what Sprinkle was brought in for, no doubt, but we also need a legit replacement for Reed when he retires for his own mental safety and well being. 

From that point I view I understand your urgency. But, I think even without Reed we have a ton of weapons, and I don't think Reed is going anywhere for years, unless we don't resign him at some point. That's why we're probably so far apart on this. It's like the guys like me that think Kirk will get his LTD this year and the guys that are positive he will be traded or just let go by 2018, at the latest. :cheers:

13 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Like @Morneblade I get what you are saying but players like Reed are going to become much less unique in the coming years. Hell, there were 3-4 in this draft alone...and there really isn't room for a "traditional" TE in most college offenses nowadays. Good-very good receiving TEs will be available for the next 2-4 yrs (if the Skins need one).  

Archived