Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Wait...dude is serious about Macklemore? 

I'm legit blown at that hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't think anyone is saying he's the GOAT. That's clearly Eminem. But Macklemore is unequivocally top 7 all time.

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think that was the point of this thread...saying Kendrick, at the least, is in the top-5. 

Well then we agree. He's top 5 in my book also. I agree with you also that if he's above or below Macklemore is inconsequential. They are 2 and 3 depending on the mood ones in. 

Great post @RonArtest15

Outkast, Kanye, Kendrick, Doom, Tribe would be my top 5 hip hop artists.

Kendrick is the best doing it this decade and certainly worthy of being in the GOAT conversation. He's got a discography that can compete with Kanye, The Roots, Tribe, Outkast, all of them. 5 great projects with no sign of slowing down whatsoever.

Edited by Bacon

How has RA, Brother Ali, Slug One, Lil Dickey not been mentioned yet ... 

Honestly .. Kurupt? Jada .. as in jada kiss? 

(I used to date one of Gail Gotti's manager types .. wife of Kurupt. Id get to go back stage and stand with all the female groupies that got brought back after the show. Then some big guy would come and pick some of the groupies to go to the back back area and Id just sit there by myself and eat their 5 hour old catering. Good ole days)

I promise I wont come in this thread again.  

Lupe deserves some love, but he fell off around Lasers.  I don't know how Macklemore is in this discussion, I don't believe he's put in enough work to be in top 5.  Kendrick Lemar is cool, but I also feel Big Sean is underrated in terms of hip-hop artists this decade.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Lupe deserves some love, but he fell off around Lasers.  I don't know how Macklemore is in this discussion, I don't believe he's put in enough work to be in top 5.  Kendrick Lemar is cool, but I also feel Big Sean is underrated in terms of hip-hop artists this decade.

Fell off? He had best rap album 2 years ago with Tetsuo & Youth

not to mention his non-album work over the past 2 years might be his best. he's on top of his game right now

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

Lupe is probably on the mt rushmore of pure lyricists, but he also annoys me

i have to be in a certain zone to listen to Lupe, which keeps him off my lists

i can respect that. he definitely has a "sit down and listen closely with headphones to keep up" style, so not always for casual listening. but as far as actual rap technique, lyricism, etc.. hes one of the best to ever do it

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

Fell off? He had best rap album 2 years ago with Tetsuo & Youth

I like his first two albums, don't feel that one matches them.  Who gave him best rap album?  It didn't get a grammy nomination.  That's just my opinion, though.

Drogas Light was worse than any Kendrick project since the KDot days. Pretty wack stuff, especially Pick Up the Phone.

T&Y, Food & Liquor and especially The Cool are my ****, but his discography is so much weaker than Kendrick's overall largely because his ear for beats and hooks is so much worse. Lyrically, they're very close.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I like his first two albums, don't feel that one matches them.  Who gave him best rap album?  It didn't get a grammy nomination.  That's just my opinion, though.

best rap album doesn't mean anything, like posted above Macklemore won best album over Kendrick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

General consensus from hip hop forums, critics, etc. Never, ever look to the grammys when it comes to rap. Just a popularity contest, and a lot of people they nominate arent even pure rappers...

Just now, mammajamma said:

General consensus from hip hop forums, critics, etc. Never, ever look to the grammys when it comes to rap. Just a popularity contest, and a lot of people they nominate arent even pure rappers...

I hear what you're saying, and I agree.  You said he won best album, so was looking around to see who gave him such an award for that album.

• Like 1