Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

1 minute ago, abdcskins said:

Fair enough. Doom is pretty cryptic, not for everyone. He usually has amazing beats. Madvillainy is a top 25 album all time for me.

The two best MCs ever will always be Rakim & Kool G Rap for me. 

i can respect that

I have Rakim & Scarface as my top 2

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Springfield said:

You know who I don't get?

Chance the Rapper.

Given it multiple shots and I never really could catch on with the hype he has.  Other than the anti-record label, that's cool.

Coloring Book was actually a good album. But I can see how people could grow tired of it.

Also, for how good that album was, it touches nothing Kendrick put out. That's saying a lot.

43 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'm just skeptical of mainstream rap in general. It is trash to me. I heard perhaps a song once or twice. Remember being turned off by his voice.

Is this guy better than Mos Def? MF Doom? Guru? Planet Asia? Those dudes spit darts. He just doesn't seem to fit that mold of hip hop I like.

He'd rap circles around Mos/Guru. 

What's his best album? I'd probably start with Section 80 (believe that's the name). I'll check Amazon.

What are some of the themes to his raps?

After 140,000 miles the CD player in my Lexus broke. I need to fix it and then I can start bumping beats again in the whip. That's where I listen to 90% of my music.

Edited by abdcskins

42 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

What's his best album? I'd probably start with Section 80 (believe that's the name). I'll check Amazon.

What are some of the themes to his raps?

After 140,000 miles the CD player in my Lexus broke. I need to fix it and then I can start bumping beats again in the whip. That's where I listen to 90% of my music.

hard to really pin him down to one specific theme. his music tends to reflect where he was at the time he recorded it. his albums all have different tones to them and tackle different things

my favorite album is To Pimp A Butterfly, but it changes

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

I'm over the stupid hype man ruining the beginning of half of the songs.  DJ Clue ass wannabe sounding fool.

Oh.  Kid Capri.  Lame.

Kid Capri as a DJ Clue wanna be?  WHAT?  It's like saying that Oscar Robertson is a Russell Westbrook wannabe. 

I like Kendrick.  I don't listen to rap enough anymore to really have good input on what's amazing, what's not. 

I'm also NOT saying he isn't amazing when I say the following...

Part of what I've found interesting over the past week since the album came out is the amount of ways people try to outdo/top each other when proclaiming how great he is.  It's almost like people are having a competition about how they can come up with different and creative ways of praising him.  IMO, it's a little over the top and kinda weird. 

http://www.vibe.com/2017/04/reactions-kendrick-lamar-damn/

Really, Anna Kendrick? 

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 2:52 PM, RonArtest15 said:

Even with the debate about where DAMN. falls, I don't think it's really out of the question to call him a top-5 rapper DOA. 

It's between him and Macklemore for the second and third spot.

I'd imagine you are going to have a tough time finding anyone on earth outside of Macklemore's family that ranks him even in the top 50 all time.  I thought you were just kidding around with the initial post.

As for Kendrick, while I like this new one, it falls under the same umbrella as nearly every great rapper before him - not as good as his older material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'd imagine you are going to have a tough time finding anyone on earth outside of Macklemore's family that ranks him even in the top 50 all time. 

I'm just repeating what the people are saying:

"Macklemore is the best rapper on earth... Macklemore is not like all the other rappers like Wiz Khalifa/Lil Wayne/snoop dogg that rapes about drugs & girls and meaningless... Macklemore's songs heals subjects like social problems like respecting all kind of people including gays & lesbian..."

"It's not only the meaning of the song that Macklemore gives, it's also the amazing beats & the great choruses which makes the songs amazing for all of the ages!
What's special about Macklemore is that he rapes in a lot of ways like: fast rap/ slam poetry and more...
I think that what makes Macklemore the best rapper"

"Macklemore makes rap better he takes it back to the roots before the drugs and the girls. He is a storyteller that what rap is not drugs.....This is what rap should be like. I went to his concert in wellington and blew everyone away. Listen to The Heist and the Otherside remix and original then come back"

"Macklemore and Ryan Lewis need to be...on this list. Of course I can't argue with Eminem being first but Macklemore deserves to be in the top ten absolutely."

"Listen to some of his lyrics. I mean that stuff is real. And I like how not all of his songs are deep - he knows how to have fun and lets the listener have fun too yet he is still a very self aware rapper who tells a story in each of his songs. I really love one of his newer releases at the moment"

"Macklemore has showed with his recent stuff he's gonna blow everybody's minds, and the people who digs in his past have found some REALLY great stuff (Vs. Redux is probably my favorite album right now). The difference on Macklemore is that he actually is enjoying and having fun with rapping, and he raps about happy stuff, that makes me wanna be a greater person. Also Ryan Lewis is a one-of-a-kind producer."